Notices

How do I start

Old 01-31-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I start

Ok, so I have decided to not drink anymore. I have tried quitting without success except once. Though, I really just switched to smoking weed. I cant smoke anymore, and being dependent on something isn't what I want. I dont think I drink as much as other people with drinking problems. Ill go through a 12 pack or more on weekends. Sometimes ill do a six pack one or two nights a week. Drinking hasn't yet disturbed my life. I want to prevent that. I just graduated and want to get dry before I start my career. The main problems when I try to quit is boredom and I have anxiety problems.

What is the most successful way to quit? How can I get most out of this site?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Its not the amount we drink that matters its what drink does or doesn't do for us its simply ''is drink causing you problems '' do you drink because your bored ? do you drink because it settles you or gives you a buzz ? . Social drinkers drink on occasions to relax to enjoy themselves or whatever.

Ask yourself is alcohol causing you problems ? is it making your life unmanageable ? . Set yourself a target try and stop for one month and see if you life has improved ? then decide for yourself , meanwhile keep in touch on here , there is loads to read up on which might be helpful , take care .

Stevie sober 12 03 2006 .
Old 02-01-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Dspawl the best way to get the most out of this site is by reading & looking around its a awesome community with great mods who do a good job

Here are some useful SR Links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 02-01-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amount counts for very little, it's necessity that counts, and it's consequences that count. You've already acknowledged the necessity, and, frankly, I drink far more, but have known people who had serious issues who drink less than you.

I'm really glad that you've acknowledged that you need to make a change. THAT'S how you start. Now you make a plan, and do as others have suggested and start reading and sharing. Figure out what it is that makes you NEED to do it, figure out what you can do to get by and feel good without that. When I first quit drinking for a sustained period, I smoked a little myself, and I used diphenhydramine to help the insomnia (which doesn't hurt) but got a little too fond of that too until I was stable enough to just sleep a decent night without any help. What I didn't figure out how to do was to have a plan for the long term and how to deal with stress, and that's why I'm here after having already quit before. Read up on the recovery vs sobriety stuff, I'm finding some of it useful.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dspawl!!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The best way to quit is just to stop drinking. If you go thru withdrawals when you're not drinking, then it might be a good idea to get your doctor's help in quitting. Otherwise, just stop drinking. It's not easy but it's simple.

As for this site, read around and ask questions you might have.

We have a forum for our recovery stories. That might be a good place to start.