Notices

A reflection which might help newcomers

Old 01-31-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A reflection which might help newcomers

Today I was at the grocery store here in TN. It is Sunday morning and early. I get my groceries scanned and I hear the cashier blurting out to the gentleman behind me. I can't sell those to you until 10 am. He had two twelve packs of beer and the time was 9:45 am. He got slightly irritated and told the cashier to set them aside and he will wait outside and come back. I got this overwhelming feeling of joy. Not because this poor fellow needed beer that early but that I didn't have to buy those beers. It used to be me, who had to wait in line as early as possible in the morning to get my fix. What a miserable life and I truly hope this gentleman one day will experience the freedom of not drinking. He passed me in the line and I smelled yesterdays beer on him and it was obvious he needed these beers to feel normal again. As I left the grocery store I saw him sitting outside on a bench smoking a cigarette and waiting on 10 am. I got sad when I realized that I felt joy that I wasn't him and I wish he didn't drink. But I can't change anyone it has to come from within, and maybe he doesn't want to quit. I for one though, can't fathom that anyone would want to continue the drinking life.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

You nailed it. Just three weeks into sobriety, this is one of the things I enjoy most. I'm not that strung-out person planning my life around when and where I can get my next fix. And besides, it was embarrassing.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am just so happy I don't go to the store as soon as it opens in the morning to get my wine.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Freedom it's very sad to see others suffer with this, so much of it
Old 01-31-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I see this I feel relief, but I also remind myself I am one drink away from doing that again. I used to sit around and watch the clock tick until the store opened so I could get "one more drink, just to stop withdrawal." Ugh. I'm happy you are doing well!