Notices

Thyroid problems related to alcoholism??

Old 01-31-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thyroid problems related to alcoholism??

Curious if your thyroid or if it is common for the thyroid to be messed up from drinking?

If so does it fix itself?

PLEASE NO GO TO DOCTOR COMMENTS!!! I AM TOMORROW

In the meantime I'm curious others wisdom

Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

FWIW, my thyroid and hormone levels were extremely low. There may have been other/multiple causes for this, but drinking is definitely suspect. I'm being treated for these problems now.

I think of health as a holistic thing. Healthy people aren't addicts and addicts aren't healthy people. One of the best things about getting help for drinking, for me, has been starting to get all my health lined back up.

As long as you get your health issues identified and addressed, and keep yourself off the liquid poison, that's a good thing!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hypothyroidism is fairly common, especially in women. I haven't heard it's caused by drinking.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
FWIW, my thyroid and hormone levels were extremely low. There may have been other/multiple causes for this, but drinking is definitely suspect. I'm being treated for these problems now.

I think of health as a holistic thing. Healthy people aren't addicts and addicts aren't healthy people. One of the best things about getting help for drinking, for me, has been starting to get all my health lined back up.

As long as you get your health issues identified and addressed, and keep yourself off the liquid poison, that's a good thing!

Did you have symptoms or did they just find it?

I know not to diagnose from google but for a good month things have been pointing to thyroid.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Aquatundra View Post
Did you have symptoms or did they just find it?

I know not to diagnose from google but for a good month things have been pointing to thyroid.
I had symptoms. Astonishing weight gain, and the normal symptoms associated with low hormones. From deep inside my addiction, I just hadn't been that motivated to deal with them. Things are different now.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aqua.. I was diagnosed via a yearly blood draw. Did have some vague symptoms. Anyway, it's an easy fix.

As I said, fairly common, and not just in drinkers.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First, quit reading Dr. Google....you can diagnose yourself with anything there. You'll see a real doctor tomorrow who can actually run tests.

It would be irresponsible ( and against forum policy ) for anyone to answer your question about whether or not it can "fix itself"...we don't know and we cannot guess.

I'd say relax until you see your doctor tomorrow. Even reading about others experiences is simply going to cause you anxiety as you don't even know where the problem is yet ( or if there even is a problem in the first place )
Old 01-31-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
First, quit reading Dr. Google....you can diagnose yourself with anything there. You'll see a real doctor tomorrow who can actually run tests.

It would be irresponsible ( and against forum policy ) for anyone to answer your question about whether or not it can "fix itself"...we don't know and we cannot guess.

I'd say relax until you see your doctor tomorrow. Even reading about others experiences is simply going to cause you anxiety as you don't even know where the problem is yet ( or if there even is a problem in the first place )
Hrmmm OK. Please read above.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been hypothyroid for 20+ years and I was diagnosed during an annual exam. It was right near the end of my having been sober for five years, though.

My sister is even more hypothyroid than I am and she is a marathon running size zero who rarely drinks.

So I don't think there's any way to say for sure. The good news is that if you diagnosed by your doctor, the meds are relatively cheap.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was hypothyroid for many years before I started drinking. For me, drinking had no effect on my thyroid levels one way or other.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Aquatundra View Post
Hrmmm OK. Please read above.
People will tell you to see a Dr because that's the right thing to do.

Scott and I will do so explicitly because it's against our rules to ask for medical advice here

I'm glad you're seeing your Dr tomorrow - they should be able to tell you what this is and how to fix it.

Dee
SR