Notices

Hello

Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself and get some support and makes some advice. I'm a functional alcoholic looking to quit drinking for my health and to be a better friend, family member, and coworker. I've quit in the past, but I've been out of work lately and overdoing and discovered last night that it won't be that easy this time as compared to most of the other times.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi and welcome.

Are you drinking heavily enough that withdrawals give you shakes, heart palpitations, etc? If so, you should get some medical advice. You definitely don't want to risk a seizure. Doctors are familiar with alcohol withdrawal and don't stigmatize it at all, so please don't hesitate if you've been a heavy drinker. They can give you some meds to get you through the danger zone of the first few days.

I'm so glad you're making this decision. I'm only 3 weeks into sobriety myself and it's absolutely the best decision of my life. Good to quit while you're still "functional" because that stage doesn't last forever as you probably know.

And while "functional" is sorta okay on a good day, sounds like you'd rather be "optimal."

Surf around here and you'll see the recurring theme of "having a plan." Knowing what your triggers are and how to handle them. Getting support lined up. Etc.

I look forward to hearing more about you and watching your story unfold.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on your decision! I know it's a big one. I echo what SiS said about detoxing - do see a doctor. It's safer and frankly makes the detox experience far more tolerable. Then make a plan for recovery. Best of luck!!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support on this site. Glad you are here!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. I have found the site a huge help !
Old 01-31-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here UZZ. Great place to find support & encouragement!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, UZZ.

I agree with SoberinSyracuse about making an appointment with your doctor to discuss your drinking and to help you with withdrawals.

Glad you found us, UZZ.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I'm currently getting my plan together. I do not currently have access to a doctor as I'm between jobs (and it may endanger my new job). I do very much appreciate the consideration, I know it's the safest option usually. I am a heavy drinker, but not usually as heavy as lately, being out of work and slightly depressed. I have tapered safely in the past and I've been reading everything I can find in the past day. Past attempts at tapering worked out very well for me, it's just keeping it up that's been difficult for me That's how I came here even, since I saw lots of forums with helpful people, but this one seemed really active and friendly, and besides any last-minute advice on the taper, the main reason I'm here is for the support and encouragement and general advice on overcoming the temptation and boredom. I've stayed sober for months on end in the past few years, I need to make my plan include how to make it last even longer.

I made a big long post about my situation and immediate plans over in the Alcoholism section if you'd like to hear more.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Zip you are not alone
Old 01-31-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Tapering can be safer than cold turkey as long as it ends in quitting. My theory about why it often fails is that it doesn't require that stone-cold absolute "never again" commitment. Tapering can get redefined on a day-to-day basis so that one never quite reaches and stays at 0.

Do you have a firm quit date, and some resources in place to keep you busy, healthy and accountable after the quit date? Those things might help you get to 0 and stay at 0.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm still feeling out how much I need at once to keep the shakes away and then how long until they start again, so no clear end date, but I'm keeping a log of number of drinks and symptoms to help nail that down. I'd like to be done by the end of the week as I have a new job to start the following week.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Tapering can be safer than cold turkey as long as it ends in quitting.
Actually, unless you've been instructed or otherwise know what you're doing tapering may be no safer than cold turkey.

I may sound like a hard ass on this - but people die from alcohol withdrawal.

I suffered several mini strokes in the course of my 'home alone' last detox.

I'm not suggesting dire consequences happen to everyone - but they do happen.

Withdrawal is unpredictable.

There's a whole protocol for alcohol withdrawal. Assessment is the first step.

1. ASSESSMENT
Successful management of alcohol withdrawal includes a comprehensive assessment including:
History of alcohol use and its treatment, including daily intake and time of last drink and any
previous complex withdrawal episodes (seizures, confusion, delirium)
Examination focussed on features of acute and chronic alcohol use
Investigations, such as urine drug screen, FBE, LFTs and U & Es may be useful
The less assessment you have, the greater the risk of 'stuff' happening.
D
Old 01-31-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, UhZoom.

You're right - it does get harder to sober up the longer we drink. I'm glad you're taking action before things become unmanageable. A better life is waiting.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm hearing that direct talk of tapering is somewhat taboo here, so I'll respect that. Glad that the board rules of not shaming recovery methods still apply. I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do. Like, I'm sure, many of you understand I have a lot at stake here, almost all of it my own doing, and not a lot of time to get sober in safely, and potential pitfalls all around me. I had previously gotten sober fairly easily in the past and didn't realize how hard it would be this time, so I'm looking for a balance between risk to my health and risk to my personal and professional ties. I have been reading a lot of advice and testimony about tapering, and I've done it myself in less structured ways previously, so I was hoping for some sort of confirmation, but I respect the rules and the fact that an MD's advice is probably always the best advice.

As I said, though, I'm more drawn to getting involved because I've never had anyone to talk to about my problem with drinking in a frank way, and because I've had moderate success at staying sober at times, but never quite figured out how to get over the boredom and restlessness and desire to get away from my own head.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So far, my biggest sources of gratitude in the past day have been the support and corrective guidance/reminders, and the ability to just friggin' tell the truth and explain who I am in relationship to alcohol and not feel as ashamed. I'm sorry if I make it lengthy at times, but man, I've never been completely honest about my drinking with anyone, ever. I'm sure I haven't hid it as well as I thought at all times, but I have spent the last decade getting away with it and not talking about it. I downplayed it to my doctors, friends, my significant others, etc, hid it entirely from most everyone else. My parents are alcoholics and I grew up loathing the stuff and avoiding it entirely, then I dipped my toe in, foolishly, then I fell in over my head and began loathing myself for doing so.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!