Notices

From My Recovery Coach - "No Excuses"

Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

From My Recovery Coach - "No Excuses"

We often stall in our efforts to get sober because we can't find the perfect resources. I have this problem, too. I emailed the guy who was my coach while I was in Atlanta getting IV amino acid treatments. Here's the exchange and I've bolded the key parts. Excellent advice for everyone, IMHO.

Me to Coach: ~Sigh~ Tedious and a lot of tail-chasing trying to get IOP lined up. I called Belvedere and Professional Counseling... I'll have insurance as of March 1. ...the deductible is $2,000. I can't pay out of pocket at the rate of $50-60 per group session or $90-125 individual or $110/day of IOP because I spent everything I had at Real Health Medical....I may have to bite the bullet and just go to AA meetings but like I told you, I don't glean much from them...I've not had any follow-up since leaving Atlanta but the good news is I'm still sober. 19 days today.

Coach to Me: Hi Alexis. First, I'm really proud of you for making it to 19 days at the time of this email! That's a major accomplishment, and I trust you have a couple more days of sobriety under your belt since then too. I know it's a struggle, but it's never easy for anyone. Hang in there and do what you can for now until things improve. Based on what I learned about you while you were here, I don't think you would have made it this far without the NAD/NTR treatment. If you can't do the IOP now, do what you can do even if you don't FEEL like it. Your FEELINGS are not important right now. It's you FEELINGS that will get you into trouble. THINK... Go to meetings of any kind...AA, Celebrate Recovery, etc. Find a church that has small groups and join one. Get to the gym. Join a book club. Alexis, there are a lot of resources out there that you can use to build a great social sober network. There are no excuses. It's all part of your self care.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
...do what you can do even if you don't FEEL like it. Your FEELINGS are not important right now. It's you FEELINGS that will get you into trouble.. [/COLOR][/B][/I]

That is some good stuff, there. I'd add that a good portion of the thinking should also simply be ignored, or ackowledged and let go.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great advice SiS, I think keeping busy is huge. You mentioned you will have insurance beginning in March, did you start a new job? Maybe you can find a class on Udemy, or another online forum to enhance your current skills. It is a good way to keep busy.;-)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great coach. Because eventually you will feel like drinking. We don't give those feelings the time of day.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great advice there, SiS; thanks for sharing that exchange.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A friend of mine says "Don't think, Don't drink, and say a prayer sometimes".
Old 01-31-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Great advice SiS, I think keeping busy is huge. You mentioned you will have insurance beginning in March, did you start a new job?
Nope, I'm happily self-employed and working. I buy my insurance through the "marketplace" and when I was drinking actively I wasn't so great at keeping my affairs in order so my insurance lapsed.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

you sound well Sis
Old 01-31-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm quite well for three weeks in. Flailing a little with the harder work of standing up a full sober life, but of course that's the more complex piece of the puzzle.