Notices

Relapsed again

Old 01-31-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Relapsed again

The title says it all. Stress, anxiety, depression, those are my triggers. One drink, and physically I'm back to feeling like garbage. Mild hand tremors, sweats, having to force down food, and I just want to lie in bed all day. And, here's the least shocking part--I didn't have a recovery plan. So first thing is first, I need to ride this out and get back to health. Then AA.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Only takes one drink to kick all that madness off , that repetitive old not-so-merry-go-round .

Treat yourself carefully SH . Up's and down's happen , that's life . It's how we deal with them that counts .

m
Old 01-31-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

AA really helped me when I got sober best wishes
Old 01-31-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this and sorry you feel so grim. Get going again and remember you'll feel so much better very soon, just minus the awful poison.
Get well.
xx
Old 01-31-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's good of you to post, not only for yourself, but the reminder is really helpful sometimes, at least for me.

Dust yourself off and get back on the bus. You can do this!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Boy, have I been there.

Im grateful to be free of that cycle - and those sweaty hands - for quite some time now.

AA was a big help to me. Still remains one of the foundational tools in my sobriety kit.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried to get sober many time over the years by myself.

AA was the catalyst that got me over the hump, when I finally swallowed my pride and admitted I was powerless over alcohol.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Thanks for the support. I am back to day four. I slept somewhat normal last night with some help from the sound therapy that SiS told us about. We are about to get a massive snow storm tonight, so getting to a physical meeting may not be feasible for tomorrow. Instead, I al looking at online meetings for Rational Recovery. Also, every time I feel shaky and anxious, I pick up the Big Book and leaf through the stories in the back.

I also had my anxiety meds adjusted by my doctor in the hopes that it will help me not pick up. Then, we can work on a taper schedule to a more reasonable dose for only occasional use.

I know this is the bare bones of the beginning of a recovery plan, but ot is more than I have ever put together before.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Four days sober is a good start. Keep it going!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Arrow

Closing in on the end of day four, and been focusing on hydration and nutritious food. It looks like we might get a snow day tomorrow, which will give me another day to rest and get back to feeling more like me. I'm also feeling like I can go to sleep tonight without constant thoughts about not being able to take a drink, or overanalyzing every pain or strange feeling in my body.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 4 and things have improved already. Shows you the power of the drug and for some of us it is just one drink that does the damage. It changes everything. Weird. I'm so happy to be sober.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 5
Old 02-01-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have made that one drink mistake too many times, and you hit the nail on the head about needing a plan. Day 32 for me today, and I made a plan and I am not allowing myself to get lax this time, that is where I have messed up in the last.

You can do this!!!

❤️Delilah
Old 02-01-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats! Keep going SH
Old 02-01-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Can I make a suggestion?

Don't ride it out. Go to AA feeling crappy and lousy and desperate!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Strategy piece one worked out. When my AV started grumbling, I let it say its piece, and then had a virgin bloody mary that was way better than anything with booze in it that I've ever had. I'm not trying to block out my AV anymore, I'm trying to listen to its irrational argument so that I know what I can do in response that will make me happier and healthier and more proud of myself than if I just caved to the first suggestion that Mr. AV threw out.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
Strategy piece one worked out. When my AV started grumbling, I let it say its piece, and then had a virgin bloody mary that was way better than anything with booze in it that I've ever had. I'm not trying to block out my AV anymore, I'm trying to listen to its irrational argument so that I know what I can do in response that will make me happier and healthier and more proud of myself than if I just caved to the first suggestion that Mr. AV threw out.
Be cautious about listening to the AV.....or letting it in. I view my AV as the voice of Evil, that wants to take my life away.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Smile

My intentions in listening to my AV is to hear it out and know exactly what lie The Beast is trying to tell me so that I can mount a proper response. If my AV says "You're stressed out, a drink will help." I can say "No it won't, but taking a walk with my wife and telling her that I'm having an anxiety attack might." It might not help, but it also won't give me a hangover. My AV likes to say "If you can't drink, you should just stay in bed." I can listen to that and respond by saying "I'll take a shower and make some tea. If that doesn't work, I'll try something else that doesn't involve lying in bed trying to figure out how to get a drink."
Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

I see where your coming from SH but the AV is so powerful I'd advise countering against listening to it I used to call my AV my pet dinosaur because of its power now it's non existent even if I get stressed I already know a drink would lead to more problems vs listening to what false paradise my AV offered me

It takes time & everybody is diffrent so whatever works & that but choosing to listen to AV is very dangerous in my opinion
Old 02-02-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through SH, we can choose something other than what our addiction is saying!!