Notices

Thinking about drinking....again

Old 01-30-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking about drinking....again

All of the sudden I'm obsessing about wine again. I miss the taste, the feeling, my friends. I feel bored and anxious a lot of the time. I still can't imagine doing this (sobriety) forever. Advice?
Old 01-30-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I entertain the thought of drinking for long
I usually end up with a drink in my hand.

Hard but, we must retrain our thinking.

MB
Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read this...

Mummy was a Secret Drinker: The Obstacle Course
Old 01-30-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like I can't hang out with my friends anymore because I'm too nervous all the time. I find social settings extremely uncomfortable so I've been avoiding them which is getting to me. I haven't seen my friends in three months. one of my friends asked me the other day when I was going to start drinking again like it was inevitable. I just think people liked me better when I was drinking. I'm not fun anymore.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are fun.

Boredom is one of the main reason many people relapse.

I know its a huge problem for me.

One thing someone on here said that helped somehow was to realise that boredom is an emotion.

The other thing that helps me is to realise that I can do all those things, just not drink.

So if what makes it fun is that I am drinking, that is an issue. At least for me.

Plus, one drink really is all it takes for most f us to be back at square one.

Dont do it.

As Dee would say -- abstinence is NOT control, or for me -- never quit the decision.

You can do this.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe write a list of all the problems that alcohol has caused you...got in the way of...ruined...the hangovers and alcohol blues you've experienced. There is a reason you decided not to drink...remind yourself of all those things and don't listen to your AV x
Old 01-30-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

A lot of my friends liked me better drunk, but what does that tell us about them? They needed me to drink in order to make them feel better about their own drinking!

I practice something I call "thought-squashing." When a thought of alcohol enters my head, I don't entertain it or argue with it. I squash it HARD and force it out of my head. It's kind of like hanging up the phone on someone.

I do ANYTHING necessary to force it out of my head. I don't try to understand it. I just force it out.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not going to drink. I'm just very frustrated. I'm back to obsessing about it everyday. I thought I was past this part.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

This craving won't last, think about the importance your putting onto something that will harm you does that make sense don't let your AV do this

Try writing a journal entry or gratitude list & going for a nice walk it helps clear my head
Old 01-30-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secretchord View Post
I'm not going to drink. I'm just very frustrated. I'm back to obsessing about it everyday. I thought I was past this part.
Well done on your resolve not to drink despite how you are feeling. Easier said than done...I know...but...maybe it's time to explore new friendships and interests?

Hope you feel better soon x
Old 01-30-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have a sober counter app? I use SoberTool on my iPad and I love that thing. It not only counts days, but better, it adds up the money I've saved. I was never a big quantity drinker (just a very very consistent one) and it's still amazing how fast it adds up.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Do you have a sober counter app? I use SoberTool on my iPad and I love that thing. It not only counts days, but better, it adds up the money I've saved. I was never a big quantity drinker (just a very very consistent one) and it's still amazing how fast it adds up.
I'll look that up. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What have you done to replace the drinking time in your life?

Recovery is much more than not drinking.
What about organizing some sober social get-togethers
like walks, hiking, coffee, movies. . .

What about taking up an instrument, jewelry-making, or taking
some on-line classes?

Replace and improve drinking time with living time
it really works SC
Old 01-30-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

you dont have to quit forever just quit for today. one day at a time. all this stuff your feeling about it I felt too. It passes.

I swore people liked me more when i drank. and you know honestly many did lol and it changed the dynamic of my relationships and i lost others. I had to figure out how to just shrug it off. It is what it is.

I also went through a few phases where i obsessed about picking up again. I waited it out. I wanted to be sure I was going to be making the right choice to pick back up again the obsession passed as well and I never picked up I just moved on.

as for anxiety I dunno for me it comes with the sober territory. I went for walks early on to try and calm my nerves and ease the boredom. I didnt want too I thought ugg this is so stupid why do i have to do this. But i grew to enjoy it etc.. and it helped.

But some stuff like for me anyhow with anxiety its just an ongoing thing. I dunno that i'll ever be "cured" its just something I always have to work on no biggie I'm ok with that now rather then trying to find a "fix" instead.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang on. Three month/four months is still early on. The anxiety will die down - but it took me nearly a year. Keep going - it is a miracle - you are a miracle. Not drinking is the natural state.

There is plenty to do that doesn't involve alcohol. I think maybe you will find new friends if you find some hobbies or volunteer. If someone encourages me to drink they are not a friend in my opinion.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All of the sudden I'm obsessing about wine again. I miss the taste, the feeling, my friends. I feel bored and anxious a lot of the time. I still can't imagine doing this (sobriety) forever. Advice?
Advice?

Don't.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Get a sponsor, work the steps........

When I did step 3, memorizing the 3rd step prayer incorporating it into my daily prayer and meditation - the obsession to drink left me and has not returned.

I see many who simply go to meetings - that's great, the fellowship is wonderful. But I have a disease of the body,mind and spirit with the solution being (on our chips) unity,recovery and service.

Are you doing these things?
Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I just think people liked me better when I was drinking. I'm not fun anymore.
Then find a set of people who like you for who you are, rather than who you become when alcohol is added.

If you want to be fun, get out and do fun things. Hike, bike, volunteer at a charity, go to museums, go body-surfing. You'll meet people who share your interests.

I'm signing up to be a volunteer at my local public library. That way I should get to meet all five people who enjoy reading in this part of Texas.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't go to AA. I went to a couple meetings many years ago when I thought I had a problem. I felt very out of place because I was a high functioning/high bottom drinker. Those meetings make me feel like I don't have a problem.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Hang on. Three month/four months is still early on. The anxiety will die down - but it took me nearly a year. Keep going - it is a miracle - you are a miracle. Not drinking is the natural state.

There is plenty to do that doesn't involve alcohol. I think maybe you will find new friends if you find some hobbies or volunteer. If someone encourages me to drink they are not a friend in my opinion.
^^^ This; every word.

Volunteering is very therapeutic; it helps the recipient and somehow exponentially helps the volunteer; it's magic!!!