Notices

remember when you were in detox?

Old 01-29-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

remember when you were in detox?

What mattered to you?

What message would you have wanted to hear about from a visitor in recovery?

What struggles were you juggling in those early days and weeks?

What would have caught your attention?

This question is for those of you who have been in the detox / hospital rehab setting. I volunteer from time to time at my local hospital and I go in and offer my story, my perspective, my experience and strength and hope....

But I've never been in detox. I've never found myself on the unit, however I wound up there... I'm going for another meeting tomorrow and so I thought I'd ask those who had been there for your thoughts and experience.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me quiet and comfort and snacks were all I sought in detox. After about 3 days I was able to pace but talking with staff, psychs, docs was short and sweet. More than once I declined speaking altogether--very much on edge even with meds. Not sure what you are volunteering for but a concerned smile and "can I get you anything?" Is about all I cared to answer to. When it came time to either seek treatment or go home I had a social worker who helped me with that. Maybe "you never have to go through this again" is appropriate and may well spur a query as to how you did it. Other than that my brain was too numb for any long exchanges.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks...

For clarification, I volunteer as a guest speaker. It's a morning meeting sponsored by my AA home group - though I never approach it like an AA meeting. I generally just go there, sit down, introduce myself, and tell them about my story.

That usually leads to a few questions, a few people talking, interaction...

Mostly, the folks that are still detoxing choose to stay in their rooms. The ones who come to the meeting are past withdrawals for the most part and are ready to start their way toward the work of sobriety, but they are still resident on the unit.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's really good of you when I was in hospital it would have been nice if someone was there to talk to me about alcoholism

I did have wordsearch books they helped
Old 01-29-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

The ONLY people I wanted to hear from was people who'd been through it. Glad you're volunteering. Those people need you.

One important message is: Yes, you CAN recover and life CAN be excellent. Tell them you did it and that you're much happier now and enjoying life more than ever.

Also, talk to them like you would to normal people. Comment on the weather, ask about the book they're reading, ask if they've read such-and-such or saw the game last night. Don't exaggerate friendliness or cheerfulness. Just be normal, and chat with them in a normal way about normal things.

Well-meaning docs and social workers and shrinks try hard, but it usually shows that they think we are not quite fully human.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good suggestions... I'll take them with me this morning.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope the volunteering goes well FreeOwl!!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was good. There was another speaker there with me this morning and his story was really great. A vietnam veteran and longtime AA old timer (35 years sober) - it was great to listen to his experience.

I only got about 10-15 minutes to speak myself, but I shared a few things that I felt called to share, which seemed to catch the ear of the group.

It's always a rewarding experience to go there and to share.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thinks it's great that you take the time to go to detox's and speak. I'm sure a lot of people appreciate it. The last time I was in detox, I ended up walking into an AA meeting almost as soon as I got there. Didn't know one was going on. Probably should of found my room and stayed in bed. I was still hallucinating pretty bad, swiping at things that weren't there. You wouldn't believe the things I saw in the ER while waiting to get admitted. Anyway, one of the AA guys handed me a book and asked me to read a passage from it. I tried, but couldn't do it. Looked like a foreign language. Luckily, another patient came over and volunteered to read the passage. One AA guy said that I was in late stage alcoholism. Always stuck with me. Nobody ever said that to me before. John