Notices

Joined in 2009...didn't stay...kept drinking...

Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Joined in 2009...didn't stay...kept drinking...

I joined here in 2009, but wasn't ready to stop, because of that....I felt I was doing this program a disservice by wasting everyone's time...How I've lived this long to be able to talk here today is beyond me...but there must be a reason I am still alive and here and now here "In the Present"

I've been Sober for Since November19th, 2015...this is Huge for me...as that is the longest I've ever been sober since before July 28th, 2001.

I would like to learn about the program here and how it works for all who choose to join it.

I wish so much I wouldn't have wasted the past 141/2 years of my life to a bottle of Alcohol....or I should say many bottles of alcohol...I also wish I would have stayed with this forum when I joined in 2009....I may not have wasted all the years between then and now...Thanks for listening...I'm thankful this site is still available....
Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Precious - I think it's the end result that matters

D
Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

This isn't really a program. It's a support group. It's a place to find a program, a plan that works for you. And have people support your plan whatever it may be.

Welcome back. I joined and then went away for two years.

Read everything here. Make a plan, find a program. We'll support you.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One of the most important things I did -- actually, *the* most important -- was to join my monthly "class" here on SR. The support we gave one another, and continue to give one another, was essential.

Here's the link to the January '16 class:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

I also recommend the meetings that take place twice a week here on SR. They're at 8 p.m. Central Time on Tuesdays and Fridays and are a wonderful resource.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I joined in 2010. I left and tried to moderate my drinking for four years.,I got sober in 2014 and have been alcohol-free since then.

Welcome.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies....I appreciate it...not sure how to reply to an individual as I'm so new here. I meant to say this being a "Support Group"....and Yes I would like to learn how to join the classes and the meetings..........I do need support....and would like to provide support...I feel so selfish admitting I need Help and Support...Yet I've been so Selfish and Weak for so many years choosing Alcohol over living a productive life...this is a Whole New World to live with out having the bottle that became my best friend for so many years...

Not sure how to reply to an individual....

thanks again!!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Very awesome that you're ready to do this! I drank for decades before I was ready. But never mind. The important thing is we're here now.

What you're doing takes strength and courage, so start eliminating those words like "selfish and weak." That's not who you are. Even if you're understandably frustrated with yourself, that's not who you are.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Precious - I think it's the end result that matters

D
I agree with Dee! I have been on here since 2012, and have had a few sober stretches. I decided this would be the year it sticks, so far, so good. Many times I have thought " I wish I had stopped when I was younger," but, then remind myself I need to focus on today.

Glad you are back!:-)
Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do agree that I need to stop beating myself up about the past and focus on one day at a time....Yesterday is gone....The Future hasn't happened....I need to focus on one day at a time...today....I'm soooooo wishing my thoughts were not so focused on the alcohol and missing it. I miss it as if it were a friend...that is "sick" and embarrassing to admit...so what do I do to replace "My friend"...Allow sugary candy and Diet Dew to become my new friends...since November 2015 I have eaten bags and bags of candy...gum drops, taffy..ju jou candy...and bottles and bottles of Diet Dew...I have never ever had an issue with candy before and could not understand "why?" until now that I'm reading on here....My body is missing the sugar from the alcohol. Now I have a new problem...quit the candy and loose all of this weight...and I've gained a whole lot of weight...Crap....My weight has always been important to me...to stay thin....I've never had to loose more than 10lbs...but...with that being said...again...I need to find a way to be happy that I'm not drinking...and to focus on what is important.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Precious64 View Post
....and Yes I would like to learn how to join the classes and the meetings..........I do need support....
Do you need assistance finding meetings in your area? I'd be happy to help.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Here's the link to the January '16 class:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

I also recommend the meetings that take place twice a week here on SR. They're at 8 p.m. Central Time on Tuesdays and Fridays and are a wonderful resource.
Jan 16 Class rocks. You'll be welcomed there even if you've timed your sobriety wrong.

And the chatroom meetings, fantastic. I made my first last Friday, it was pretty emotional for me.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk
Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I'm glad you're trying sobriety again.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back Precious!!
Old 01-29-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Precious,

Welcome back to SR, I'm sure you'll find loads of support here to help you on your way.

However, just between you and me, you're being sold a pup with the old January class 2016 thing. I mean I'm sure they're kind of okay there, if "kind of okay" is what your thing is?

If however you want to stamp your mark on a new way of life, everyone here knows it all really happens in the November 2015 class. They're cool, they're friendly and they've got what it takes to stay sober.

So is it going to be a 2016 glass of tap water Precious, or are you going to opt for the fresh fruit juice and sparkling mineral water of the 2015 vintage?

☺️
Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, Precious64! Congrats on your sober time so far.

The candy and sugary stuff can be cut back with some mindful purchasing. I ate a lot of sugar in the first few months, too. Now I'm back to a once a week indulgence "plan."

When I first started here I read a lot of stuff. This is a deep website with lot of wisdom and resources. I hope to "see" you around.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just in case newcomers are unaware, Tufty is being facetious.
The January group is a great group - they all are

D
Old 01-29-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Just in case newcomers are unaware, Tufty is being facetious.
The January group is a great group - they all are

D
Gracious, yes!

Apologies to Jan 16 class if that was interpreted as anything other than playful!

I will be more mindful of my style in future! Sorry folks!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I also joined in 2009. It took me a few months to be able to get, and finally stay sober. What worked for me was joining one of the monthly sobriety groups, mine was August of 2009. We initially had about 75 members, and although we lost many, a few core members helped to keep that thread going for a few years. That group of "virtual" friends, along with attending AA meetings for some face to face support got me over the hump.