Notices

I like long walks on the beach...

Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I like long walks on the beach...

I guess I should toss out some sort of introduction. I tried to sign up for an account on here today only to realize I had already signed up about a year and a half ago. I wanted to quit then and have been drinking daily since. That in itself tells me it's time to put some work into this.

I've been drinking a lot since I was in high school. It didn't become a daily routine until college though. Almost 20 years and I've probably drank about 98-99% of days during that time. The longest I've gone without drinking was 3 days at some point last year.

I work for family otherwise my drinking would have already cost me my job. I show up late a lot because my mornings are so rough. I feel bad because I know I look like "that guy" who coasts by on nepotism.

I won't bore you guys with too much me right now. Hopefully I will find success and proudly check back in daily.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're not bored, Dave. I'm so glad you wanted to talk about what's going on.

I drank daily for 30 years. In the end I was drinking 24/7, with a life in chaos. Finding SR - and really participating - made all the difference. It sounds like you're ready to do this. We're with you.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great to have you here, Dave. Is today the day you are planning to quit?
Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You don't need to drink daily anymore. I did for many years.

Now it's been many years since I've had a drink. You can do it too!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I have to quit . It's scary to think about. Basically everything I do for recreation involves drinking. I just don't want to find rock bottom and lose everything and I know it's coming if I don't quit.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by SoberDave999 View Post
I think I have to quit . It's scary to think about. Basically everything I do for recreation involves drinking. I just don't want to find rock bottom and lose everything and I know it's coming if I don't quit.
My whole life revolved around it, too. Until 18 days ago.

Of course, you know this is a progressive illness. If you don't stop, things will continue to get worse.

It's mostly scary because you probably aren't sure how to go about it. There's lots of experience around here, from all kinds of people, all ages, all walks of life. You can launch a "How Do I Get Started" thread and receive lots of practical, actionable advice!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dave

If you think you have to quit that's usually the right call

D
Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dave, welcome! You will find that you have a lot in common with everyone, as we are all here for the same reason. I hope you find this site to be as helpful and inspiring as I have!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support on here.;-)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Made it through my first night. Had some trouble sleeping. I guess my body is used to passing out rather than falling asleep. I do feel a lot more energetic today. It's amazing how much better you feel when you aren't poisoning your body.

I went to the bank today and opened a savings account. I decided that I would reward myself by transferring $5 from checking to savings each day as a reward for not drinking. I figure I spent at least that much nightly on booze, so it shouldn't change my budget any. Now I can look forward to saving that money for something special for me. Hoping the extra motivation will help keep me strong!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Dave, welcome to SR.

Best thing I did, stopping drinking! There is a life, a good life after drinking !
Old 01-29-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberDave999 View Post
Made it through my first night. Had some trouble sleeping. I guess my body is used to passing out rather than falling asleep. I do feel a lot more energetic today. It's amazing how much better you feel when you aren't poisoning your body.

I went to the bank today and opened a savings account. I decided that I would reward myself by transferring $5 from checking to savings each day as a reward for not drinking. I figure I spent at least that much nightly on booze, so it shouldn't change my budget any. Now I can look forward to saving that money for something special for me. Hoping the extra motivation will help keep me strong!
Bingo dude. Your body is use to passing the arf out when you are drunk and therefore doesnt remember how to get to sleep on its own. And awesome idea about transfering money into a savings account! Now DONT TOUCH IT and watch it grow. Then in a year buy something really bad a$$.

Congrats on your decision to get sober.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I noticed that after I got sober, I now pay my bills on time and in full. I like your idea of saving the money that used to go for drinking.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome SD
Old 01-29-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm reading about everyone's withdrawal stories and there is a lot of conversation about going cold turkey without a doctors help being dangerous. This is my plan. I do have a doctors appointment next Wednesday. I'm going to stay away from alcohol and hope for the best until then.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

If you are concerned about withdrawal Dave, you should get medical advice first. Glad you are here & looking for a life without the chains of alcohol!! Such a better life & you deserve that.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good move on stopping, glad to hear there are already benefits for you!
It sounds like you are ready to do this...
Keep on, you can do it

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dave!!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Night number two was a little tougher mentally. Being a Friday night definitely didn't help. Starting to feel a bit more withdrawal. I took a nap for a few hours after dinner to help pass some of the time I'm used to drinking. The AV is trying to get louder. I need to stay busy tomorrow night to keep myself distracted. Maybe I'll see if my kids have something I can help them put together. A model or something.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Dave-

It's nice to meet you!