My mother

Old 01-28-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My mother

I have finally cut off almost all contact to my mom. I only see her when it's family stuff for birthdays and holidays. I only talk to her if it's on a group text with my siblings and even then I don't say much. I only speak with her on the phone if she picks up when I call for my dad.
I also finally had a conversation with my dad about how I feel towards my mom and her drinking. And he's completely fine with me not seeing or talking to her. In fact, he's considering divorce and moving out.
A little background, mom has been an alcoholic all her life, I have been sober for almost three years. My mom is controlling and manipulative. And my dad is very codependent.
My sister has even taken her kids away from my mom because she doesn't want them in that environment.
It's still a struggle to not pick up the phone and call her. But I feel like I'm doing the right thing. And after her not being supportive of my going back to school and changing careers or never really having anything nice to say to me, I'm done.
It's great to have a place to go to online when I need to vent or just read other stories that are like mine. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a really sad thing when you realize that you have to take healthy steps to protect yourself from those you still love. It's OK to love from afar. It sounds like you are doing some really great things for you in your own life, and you deserve to have happiness and support while you do so. Congrats to you on those changes.

Many hugs!