Notices

Bored, Frustrated, Isolated...

Old 01-28-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored, Frustrated, Isolated...

I'm nearly a month sober and I'm beginning to struggle, I just can't seem to keep myself busy. I used to like playing music, drawing and art - stuff like that but I do it and I just feel depressed and disappointed at how crap I am at it!
I've spent so long drinking and acting up - pretty much not doing anything of any substance - I'm left with nothing. Everybody around me seems to have something to show for their lives, they have accomplishments, talents, hobbies etc. I seem to just have a string of failures, bad memories and no real clue about who I am any more and where I'm meant to go from here. I keep trying to rekindle old passtimes, but I'm just not interested any more. I don't know if it's because I've changed/grown out of them or...I dunno...now after trying them again and not wanting to do them, I feel like I'm giving up. Maybe I'm trying to force things I dunno...

I'm not drining (or anything else) which is good, but it's left a huge gap in my life I'm not quite sure how to fill.

I hate bitching and moaning, but the weather is awful I'm home alone for a couple of days and I'm getting itchy fingers. You know what they say about idle hands...

I'd go for a walk or something but it's pouring down with rain and I have cold. Woe is me lol.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel you man, I feel the Exact same way 4 months in. Our minds are still in the midst of healing. It's gonna be a long while before anything seems to be interesting, consider how addicted our brains were to alcohol and how long we consumed it for.

Try to find an interesting novel to read. I know a lot of things sound abysmally boring though.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A month is still pretty early in recovery. It takes a while for the brain to heal. Our pleasure receptors are screwed up from alcohol.

That said, sitting around bemoaning how nothing is fun or interesting is a good way to send you back to a dark place. Gratification came pretty quick when we were drinking. It takes longer to find satisfaction in sobriety, but it's lasting.

You've had no luck rekindling old interests. Time to find new interests.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is often suggested that you find a place in your community and volunteer your time. It's a good way to give back, and you'll meet new people too.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here.

One thing I know for sure is that it's not a good idea to judge yourself based on other people's accomplishments.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Lots of good advice here.

One thing I know for sure is that it's not a good idea to judge yourself based on other people's accomplishments.
Yep, I know. I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I need to snap out of it.