Notices

I want to stop drinking - please help!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to stop drinking - please help!

I want tomorrow to be my quit day. I have absolutely no idea how to get there. I vow to quit, go do my stuff for the day, and at 4:30 or 5:00 I don't give a crap about my vows and I just don't care, I want my wine for the night.

Soooooo, how do I get there? I know I need to, I know I want to, but at 5 I don't want to anymore and I trump myself. What do I do?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's not easy but it is simple - you just don't drink. Take drinking off the table as an option. Don't drink no matter what.

There are lots of different ways to get sober. There's AA and Smart recovery. I quit by seeing an addiction counselor and coming to SR every day to read and post.

I just got to the point where I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I don't know how to do anything about tomorrow, just today. When I made the decision to quit I stopped pouring poison into my body and sought help, today.

If you don't want to drink at 5pm I'd go to meeting at 4pm and ask for help.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

make TODAY your quit day. do it NOW. you commit that you will NOT drink today for any reason or at any time NO MATTER WHAT. just for THIS day.....
Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I sure you have gone one day without drinking. Tomorrow will be just like that day.

1.Get rid of all the wine/alcohol in your house NOW.
2. Don't drive past that wine store on the way home, take a different route. Maybe scenic?
3. If you don't work take that money you buy wine with and go see a movie at around 4:00- it's a matinee, cheaper and no crowd. Don't go to a theater that sells alcohol. Make damn sure you are doing something that doesn't involve drinking and that lasts until After 6:00PM.
4. AA meetings are usually around 6 to 8 PM-go to one if you still feel like drinking. If you have never been it could be interesting. Not that you have a problem, it's just an expedition.

You have to change your pattern. My "witching hour" is around 6pm-I usually have other plans around then.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello:

I would suggest you change your routine tonight. That will help with the cravings at that time. Maybe a movie, a long walk, groceries, library, or whatever. I changing your routine you can start distracting your mind from alcohol. Take it one day at a time or even a moment at a time. It is so worth it . I would also suggest that you start reading here a lot. Knowledge is power. Start participating and get involved in your sobriety it will pay off.

There is always somebody here to listen and give support so take advantage of that resource.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't get frustrated ecm. I use to be the same way and I think we all had/have that witching hour. I know where I live, Caribou coffee has happy hour from 4 til 6:30. So that is what I started doing is going and getting a cup of coffee or something to stay busy during this time. Find a new routine and force yourself to stick to it and you will get past this. ��
Old 01-28-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would say, start now, today.

It's simple but not easy. You get rid of the alcohol you have at home, and don't buy anymore. Plan to do something different tonight than your usual routine. That helps a lot in the early days.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You need to get a plan together to give you a framework to stay accountable. Part of that plan for me was to change my daily routine at those trigger times (i.e. 5 o'clock after work go to the gym now instead of go for the booze). Maybe that would help you? You have to make the commitment to want this and realize it will take continuous hard work to achieve.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wanting to Stop

Hi ECM,

I can totally relate. Wine was my thing too, and it seemed no matter what at 5pm, after work, I would swing by the liquor store. It was like I had amnesia or was on autopilot no matter what I had promised myself in the morning.

I was living alone, and eventually it got to the point that, for me, it became obvious I needed a change of venue. I am now thankfully 14 days sober (today), and it was deciding to go live with family for a few months and dry out that did the trick. Work also gave me a break. It was the best decision I have made in a long, long time.

If a change of venue like that isn't possible, I would agree with other suggestions to make a plan to head the witching hour off at the pass. If that time for you is 5, then take some action at 3pm to prevent it, whether that is eating an early large meal (worked for me at times), going to a movie, etc. Good luck, you can do it.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I couldn't quit until I went to a 7/24 treatment center. I was pretty far gone drinking every day for nearly 2 years straight. I decided to quit but like you I didn't know how. I dried out in a safe place (hospital) and learned as much as I could about my alcohol addiction. Before I left I had a sober living plan developed by myself with the help of a professional. I've managed to stay sober since I left. Recovery is different for everybody. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Hello ecm. Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

I posted some things that helped me in another thread, and I will repeat them here. I hope they help you.

May I suggest that you join the Class of January 2016? You will find a lot of support from other people in the early days.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

You might also consider posting in the 24 hour support thread -- posting there every day helps keep me accountable.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-102-a.html

Finally, another thing I have found very helpful is the Tuesday and Friday chat meetings. You don't have to share if you don't feel like it (I don't share often) but just showing up for the meetings has helped me a lot.