Notices

Keep Calm and Sober On! Weekender Jan 29

Old 01-28-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Exclamation Keep Calm and Sober On! Weekender Jan 29

Calm... Keep calm is the saying!

In the early days of sobriety I was anything but calm. How was I supposed to get through something that consumed my mind every minute. Both day and night.

One aspect to getting sober that always bothers me, and this day is no exception, is that I can never seem to rest from addiction. It takes no time off from me. Granted there are very quiet days, but for the most part I consciously wake a drunk and I go to sleep a drunk.

That doesn't mean I don't live a full sober life. That does not mean something is hanging over me. It just means I have now come to understand and actively recognize another part of me. An attribute. A single thing about me.

Addiction is not the whole of me. I accept it. I keep calm and I sober on.

*Ring Ring*

What does it mean? In the words of Mecanix...

“The first bell is the bell of mindfulness, calling to me and you.

It says stop what am i doing right now, take some breaths, feel my body, am I holding it tight and tense? Relax… calm down… life is a journey and not a destination, make the journey as glorious as possible.

The second bell is the freedom bell and I'm ringing it for you to let you know freedom from drink and drugs is available to you, come and hear us calling out to you.”

Welcome to your sober weekend!!!

Old 01-28-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun goddamn!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!! Right on Mr B!

I saw you on the main board and was saying to myself... Out loud.... Go get shot gun Behan! Clearly you heard me.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why, emm. yes, I did hear you...the wind travels from Maine to Ireland...
Old 01-28-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey all!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm a bit hyperactive, but I find living sober calms me down. No drama, no fuss.

Not to mention, my critters calm me down. Just being around them, petting them, soothes my spirit.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's going to be one of those days. I should have asked for a two shot Americano, instead of one shot.

Congrats Behan!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is that like a double espresso?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my excitement of gaining shotgun, I forgot to comment on this weekends theme.

Thinking back, I have had difficulty with staying calm since my teenage years. I have always been plagued with worries and shyness in particular situations. I recall getting my first panic attack and thinking I was going to die. Where does this anxiety come from: I'm not sure. It seems to run in the family to a certain extent. Then I began to add alcohol and drugs into this mix. These substances gave me the illusion that I was coping in social situations, when in reality it was making my anxieties pathological. Problems with substances also run in my family.

Now that I am sober, I have returned to a normal, acceptable level of anxiety. It's probably a mixture of genetics and social learning, as is addiction.

Now the challenge I face in life is how can I live with these uncomfortable feelings and stay connected to others and the world, without returning to unhealthy inebriation and self destruction.

B
Old 01-28-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
After I wake up a bit I'll comment on the theme.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great self awareness Behan, Uncomfotable feelings is something we all face. Having a common goal one would think we should be able to see that or know that about everyone we meet. Make it easier for ourselves and others. But that's not what life seems to be about. For me anyway.

When I have a fit of those uncomfortable feelings I cannot seem to see past my own nose. Hopefully I can strik a balance in my sober life. Let in more good feelings that allow me to be sustained in the uncomfotable moments.

When I drank ever moment began to be scary. Even when I was supposedly sober in between drinks.

I did learn one thing. That when I was drinking and days seemed to blend into one another I never got refuge from the intense fear and hopelessness. I had no division between episodes. And so thing mounted and mounted.

Now I have better cycles. I can find a logical end to uncomfortable feelings. I can wake tomorrow remembering yesterday and can put them where they belong. No more dragging around the pains I stacked on top of one another until I could no longer pull them forward.

Thanks for helping me see that today. Reminding me.

Ok folks... I need to get busy at work.

K
Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
When I drank ever moment began to be scary. Even when I was supposedly sober in between drinks. I did learn one thing. That when I was drinking and days seemed to blend into one another I never got refuge from the intense fear and hopelessness. I had no division between episodes. And so thing mounted and mounted. Now I have better cycles. I can find a logical end to uncomfortable feelings. I can wake tomorrow remembering yesterday and can put them where they belong. No more dragging around the pains I stacked on top of one another until I could no longer pull them forward.
This is true for me. It's much easier to stay calm now, knowing whatever anxiety or stress I'm feeling will pass. Plus I'm not adding any stupid drunk behavior to life's normal stresses - things seem so much simpler now. I don't have NEARLY the anxiety I used to. When stressful situations come up, I take a deep breath and deal with them as calmly as I can. Anxiety attacks are a thing of the past.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Morning gang!

First page?? Woohoo! Up early for work...must find coffee before attempting to read these thoughtful posts!
Xo
Old 01-28-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Congrats behan!

Awesome weekender theme, Ken! Will give me something to chew on during my morning commute!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Climbing aboard the calm and sober bus!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am also climbing aboard, Want to be calm and sober.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

In I am! In I am!

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
In the early days of sobriety I was anything but calm.
There are people who claim they made it through early sobriety without a lot of anxiety, but I am not sure I believe them. I was a bucket of nerves the first few months.

Thank God, The Universe, Oprah, and Mark Zuckerberg it gets better!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I made the first page! At least I think I did, we shall see when I post!! This Saturday I will hit 30 days, and I am very excited about that. I have been on SR for a few years, but this time I feel different and have no intention of returning to drinking.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!

❤️Delilah
Old 01-28-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It was just a drizzle when I left to,
Take the dog to go pee and poo,
A half a mile, all I could get,
Before I did become soaking wet.
Now I love it when it rains and pours,
I just much prefer it being indoors.

Feeling very limericky this morning.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 AM