Notices

early recovery

Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

early recovery

Hi, Im just here checking things out. I like to say im in recovery but im having a really difficult time. I chose to stop again today and im scared. I do ok for a few days but it's like im not comfortable in my own skin. I feel discontent and irritable. Any help on how to deal with these uncomfortable feelings would be great. I desperately want to be sober but this drug consumes my mind. I can't take it anymore
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Unfortunately, being uncomfortable in your own skin, restless and irritable is just the usual when you first quit drinking. Your body is trying to heal and the little addict voice is yelling "feed me" in your head. That push me/pull you puts us off kilter.

In the beginning, I took care of myself. I got more sleep. I made sure I ate well. I talked here and to people in real life about how I was feeling. I knew from past experience that the feelings would pass and I could get through the discomfort. I also did s lot of busy work. Laundry, dishes, cleaning, sweeping. It kept me occupied.

You can get through this. Just give yourself a chance. If you have cravings, eat ice cream. It helps. Just hang in there.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. When I was in early recovery I saw an addiction counselor once a week for the first five years. I also came here daily and read and posted.

Early recovery can be a rough ride at first but things will settle down with more sober time. Hang in there!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you trying to get sober by yourself?

I tried for years to do that, and I kept slipping up after periods of sobriety. I got desperate enough to try AA. That, along with this website, has made the difference.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Saphire
Old 01-27-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Saphire!!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to those who responded...I didn't even know there was responses....having difficulty navigating this site. It's day three for me and I feel antsy and sad. I just want to go out and use but I don't want to go back to where I was. I just want to be normal trying to keep busy is hard. I'm not working right now and I have nothing to do.....I feel helpless.....