It pays to research...literally!

Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It pays to research...literally!

I just wanted to share something that I discovered, as it may help some of your that are struggling with separating and being able to provide for your family without your A in your house.

After I kicked out my AH this month after his recent relapse, I did some checking into benefits, like SNAP and HEAP with my local Dept of Social Services. Turns out that because I work part time, and I don't have any court order child support the kids and I are eligible. Basically covers our monthly food budget! Plus we will get some HEAP to offset the cost of our fuel oil and the kids are eligible for free breakfast and lunch at school.

Financially being able to provide for the kids while I look for a FT job, even though AH helps with the bills (pays more than if he would be court ordered, hence why I haven't pursued it yet) has been a huge stressor for me, but I kept saying I was handing over this worry to my HP and it worked out for us!

Time to fill my pantry again- with things that the kids and I like and not my AH!
Old 01-25-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

YAY!! Yup, you never know until you ask. I suspect a LOT of people never apply for benefits they are eligible for. We all pay taxes every year to fund these programs--there's no shame in applying for them when you need them. That's what they are there for. It's sort of like paying for insurance but not filing a claim when you have one--most people wouldn't do THAT, but they'll forgo government benefits they have paid into for years.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The kids and I started SNAP and Medicaid in September. Thank goodness for programs like these!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

With tax time rolling around again, I'm glad to hear about you SR folks who are utilizing those benefits--it'll make me feel a little better to know that there are at least SOME uses of my tax dollars that I totally agree with!