Notices

I don't need to drink today

Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't need to drink today

I'm travelling, in transit in a west coast city. Two more flights to go on my way down under, as my mother was on her last legs. Woke this morning in a strange hotel room to find out she had passed. I didn't make it in time, but half expected not too. Will be there in another 25 hrs or so - to support my dad and the family.

But I don't need to drink today.

Tonight I'll be on a 12+ hr flight where my old favorite beers and some great wine will be flowing. I could easily say yes to a glass or more.

I've got all kinds of emotions running through me. I could have a few and no one need ever find out. It's the perfect excuse.

I'll be back where I grew up, surrounded by the places and familiar tastes, dealing with all the pain of those around me.

I put down my last drink by choice in April 2012. Nearly 4 years sober after half a life of drinking. I don't believe in most peoples god, but I believe in the fellowship of AA, and still attend a meeting about once a week. I occasionally stop by this forum as I spent a lot of time here in my first days, weeks, months.

I wanted to share with you that no matter how you feel now, you can learn to live a sober life, and keep living that sober life during times of stress and adversity. The human spirit is capable of wonderful recovery if given the willingness to be open and honest, overcoming ego with humility and love. You too can find some peace and serenity in this seemingly chaotic world.

This doesn't mean I've got it licked, or have discovered some secret to life. My favorite saying is "The monkey may be off my back, but the circus has not left town.". I just wanted to share my feelings, welcome all you newcomers, and try to give back a little hope. This is a one day at a time program - Join me and don't drink today, then we are all in first place.

Thanks, to all here who helped me on my path to a sober life.

I don't need to drink today.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

You don't need to drink today. In fact, you need NOT to drink today. You know it won't help matters one bit.

Sorry for your loss. Hang in during these difficult days.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tonight I'll be on a 12+ hr flight where my old favorite beers and some great wine will be flowing. I could easily say yes to a glass or more.
This... this is what I will soon be facing as I travel frequently on business and am often upgraded to first class - free wine!!!! Ugh, I dread it.

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. And I am so grateful to read your share. I will come back to this before I board the plane next week.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Admiring your resolve. Very sorry for your loss.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What an amazing post, heartfelt thanks to you.
I am so sorry you have lost your mother and wish you continued strength through this difficult time.
What is amazing is your reaching out on SR to share your strength and wisdom at this time. It's truly inspiring and it's really worked, thank you so much.
Take care
xx
Old 01-24-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anotherquitter View Post

I wanted to share with you that no matter how you feel now, you can learn to live a sober life, and keep living that sober life during times of stress and adversity. The human spirit is capable of wonderful recovery if given the willingness to be open and honest, overcoming ego with humility and love. You too can find some peace and serenity in this seemingly chaotic world.

I don't need to drink today.
This truth gives me such real hope.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

anotherquitter,

I'm so sorry for your loss and glad for you that it's something that you know you will live through without chemical assistance. That's the best thing for you and for your family, as I'm sure you well know.

I second what FarToGo said - thank you for thinking of us today.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Another,

I am so sorry about your mom. I know how difficult it is to lose a parent, especially when living far from them. I am not sure what your beliefs are, but I believe she is now looking down and very proud of her son.

I am sending lots of love for you and your family at this difficult time.

❤️Delilah
Old 01-24-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So encouraging to me, being sober, and seeing the focus you have in your poet, thinking it through and committed to staying sober, Have a super time, I was there in the late 1990's, my brother in law was with McCain's Foods (since passed away) and set up a new plant there, desperate long flight and I found it hard to stay away from booze as well as it's everywhere.

At least you will get to enjoy summer there, I have a few friends who now live there, amazing place.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Thank you for this amazing, heartfelt post, and for taking the time to write it in the midst of your grief. You have helped many people here today, including myself.

I am very, very sorry for the loss of your mother. Please take good care and know that our thoughts and hearts are with you.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

I'm sorry about the loss of your Mum and your humility in admitting that "the circus is stil in town". I can forget that fact sometimes. This time however seems different. I really don't want to drink again, but know that I've got a ticket of entry any time I choose to use it. Thanks for reminding me. You are right about the amount of alcohol here, there is a pub on every corner. Two if they would fit.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anotherquitter,

The fact that in this moment of ultimate loss you thought of how you could use it to help us is awe-inspiring.

You certainly have inspired me.

It is also interesting to compare your share with the posts of those who are in active addiction -- you are thinking of them, and they are too.

Thank you for reminding me again why we do this, even when its hard.

Your mother would be proud.

I wish you strength.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss AQ. Thank you for your post tho

D