Notices

I need a plan

Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a plan

So I relapsed. Again. Tomorrow will be another day and another try and it will end in another failure if I don't know how to stay sober. I thought I knew. I've read about plans through links. But I haven't found a way to build a plan for me personally. I don't think these things are a one size fits all thing.

So how do I create this plan?
Old 01-23-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there are lots of great resources here for developing plans. AA can help you with a program. Others also offer plans and programs that combine with face-to-face support.

As you read and consider these, here is a boiled-down, basic, three-step "Starter Plan" you might glean something from.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ber-today.html
Old 01-23-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 01-23-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My plan involved seeing an addiction counselor once a week and daily visits to this site to read and post. It also helped me a lot when I started practicing gratitude every day.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just knowing you need help and you need a plan is a good start, Mike. Keep coming back here and posting and talking, and people here will help you. I agree it's not one size fits all, you'll have to find a plan that works for you.

Have you tried meetings at all? Even if that doesn't end up being your long term approach, just being in a safe place with sober people can buy you some time to help you stay sober while you develop your plan.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mike, people much smarter than myself have and will be along shortly to help answer you question. What I can contribute is your own words

"So I just accepted that I can never drink even just one sip ever again for the rest of my life. And you know what? That's very liberating.

Also, there are worse things. You can't drink. So what?"

As the saying goes, easier said than done. But you were right in what you said in my opinion. Keep trying boss, you can do it.

Also, I think you mentioned previously that you had some financial means. If you can't do it on your own, there are options available to you. i.e. treatment, rehab, counseling etc... . It might just save your life.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also agree with least about gratitude ... writing a morning list of specific things I am grateful for -- that was one of the first tools in my plan, one of the most valuable, and I still use it today.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Find someone to help you and hold you accountable, I am far from a preacher/pusher of AA however in my plan it has am important place, I have met people I can reach out to in times of need, people that will help me with a plan, take what they suggest that you think will work, add to it RR as RR to me is the way I am headed and doing great. We need people in our lives that understand what we are going through as they have been there, it's very powerful. I don't think we can do this alone, maybe some can but I suggest very few as it leads right back to where we left off and probably worse in my experience.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As our friend tursiops posted, I too have found great value in meetings and working the program of AA. That coupled with SR made the difference for me.

Hope you find what works for you.......It's not easy, but it can be simple once we supplant the the mental obsession with other things.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My plan includes:
Daily reading/posting on SR
Women for Sobriety
Accountability with a sober Buddy through daily texts
Exercise
Reading
Journaling
Mindfulness: Tryjnd to stay in the present, this is the one I am still struggling to do well

Find something to fill the time you would spend drinking. You may need to plan your day hour by hour for a bit, at least the after work time.

You can do this!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mike this link is all about making a plan for you, based on your needs.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

It's not designed to be simply read...you really can make a plan from it.

If you think you need more detail, or you need more hands on instruction, maybe it's time to consider AA or some other meeting based secular alternative?

D
Old 01-23-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

A lot of people have made good suggestions. The thing I'd stress is Action over Thinking.
  • When you wake up, the first thing you do should be something that re-establishes your commitment for the day. If you've joined AA, text someone in the program. Read something on sobriety. Post here to the 24 hour group. Pray. Medidate. But do that/those things every day.
  • At your regular triggers time, insert something that helps overcome the urge and replaces it with sober thinking. A latte with a fellow-alcoholic at cocktail hour. An AA meeting after work. A post here on the secular recovery forum with your feet up and an after-dinner treat.
  • Before bed, review the day in terms of what you did that moved your recovery forward, and where old thinking/behavior slipped in. Don't just think it through, write it down, and re-read it the next day.
Whatever tools you use, USE them, every day. And I hope you find some other alcoholics in recovery to talk to face-to-face. I don't believe you can get solid recovery alone.

You never have to drink again!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do this Mike!!

Key area for your plan is gonna be the weekend, new routines, new activities, no alcohol, it can be done!!