Notices

What does it all matter?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lightbulb What does it all matter?

What does it all matter?

Ah! The tell tale sign of a weasel in trouble. Well, pre-trouble really. As in when I think this I double down on my sober plan. Drop to defcon 4, orange alert, and call in the troops.

What does it all matter?

Listen up newbies and listen good. If you start to devalue anything it's a sign. That's got to be a universal truth. A druggie and drinkers billboard announcing a relapse is in progress.

In the sober world I built relapses are not part of it. They don't have to happen. They are not the inevitable truth we are told through fabled drunk history reports.

We all belong to this no secret, secret society. There is no secret to staying sober. If you think there is then I will share it with you... right here... right now.

Pssssst..... "Listen to your mind, body, actions and emotions. Stop. Just listen."

This week compiled for me a unusually strong set of happenings that are testing my ability to listen. I have an abscess root canal. Need to take a regime of antibiotics that make me feel like crap. I had to put my best friend to sleep. A friend that I had no idea was as big a part of my life as he was. I had to visit a place that was the scene of my atomic explosion of a life before I extracted myself from there. Work pressures mounted as I have been promoted and with that comes greater expectations. A deep, still ever present sense of loneliness. And then all the crap that is life.

If your thinking that you wish that's all you had by comparison, here is another word of sound advice. "Don't live your life by comparisons." You will forever be sadly disappointed.

I live this life very differently than all other times of my life. I used to live on the outside looking in. I had little influence in my own life. It carried me to and from as it wished. I drank when I did not want to. I drugged when I knew I could do no more. I was its slave.

Now I live from the inside looking out. What do I do differently? I listen. I listen to my mind, my body, my actions and my emotions. Hence this little post.

A sober plan is understanding when you need help. So I am posting. And then eat. Clean myself up and put on clothes I like. Clean my home and take pride in it. Go get food and fill the fridge. Nap when I need it. Get out of the house and be seen. Take care of HALT.

Life is a series of temporary moments. Some last longer than others and yet some are even quicker than I can absorb. I need not take actions that span these moments. I need not do brain surgery with a hammer.

So I am stopping today. Listening. Letting things pass without action. They will. They always do.

What we share we strengthen.

Ken
Old 01-23-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Right there alongside ya K ,

m
Old 01-23-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Awesome, Ken.

Thank you,
What you share strengthens others as well.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you'll make your way through these things like you do with everything else Ken - with great self awareness, thoughtfulness and courage

& let us know if we can help...

D
Old 01-23-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks M!

Thanks Obladi!

Dee... Thanks... I needed the power of posting today. Sharing. It's a huge help.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post and reminder Ken. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are all here for you K. You are just awesome!

B
Old 01-23-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Right there with you Ken
Old 01-23-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Good stuff as always, Ken. Mindfulness in action. Love it. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi Ken-

Thanks for posting thoughts on your journey today. It's a great reminder to the rest of us not to get complacent in our recovery, and not to allow the stuff of life to derail our sobriety.

I always love reading your wisdom and experience; it is helpful to hear we are not alone, and that no matter what drinking or using are no longer an option!

Tomorrow, things will look brighter

Old 01-23-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Great post, as usual, Ken. Glad to see you taking care of yourself
Old 01-23-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is awesome Ken. Thank you sir.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
What does it all matter?

Ah! The tell tale sign of a weasel in trouble. Well, pre-trouble really. As in when I think this I double down on my sober plan. Drop to defcon 4, orange alert, and call in the troops.

What does it all matter?

Listen up newbies and listen good. If you start to devalue anything it's a sign. That's got to be a universal truth. A druggie and drinkers billboard announcing a relapse is in progress.

In the sober world I built relapses are not part of it. They don't have to happen. They are not the inevitable truth we are told through fabled drunk history reports.

We all belong to this no secret, secret society. There is no secret to staying sober. If you think there is then I will share it with you... right here... right now.

Pssssst..... "Listen to your mind, body, actions and emotions. Stop. Just listen."

This week compiled for me a unusually strong set of happenings that are testing my ability to listen. I have an abscess root canal. Need to take a regime of antibiotics that make me feel like crap. I had to put my best friend to sleep. A friend that I had no idea was as big a part of my life as he was. I had to visit a place that was the scene of my atomic explosion of a life before I extracted myself from there. Work pressures mounted as I have been promoted and with that comes greater expectations. A deep, still ever present sense of loneliness. And then all the crap that is life.

If your thinking that you wish that's all you had by comparison, here is another word of sound advice. "Don't live your life by comparisons." You will forever be sadly disappointed.

I live this life very differently than all other times of my life. I used to live on the outside looking in. I had little influence in my own life. It carried me to and from as it wished. I drank when I did not want to. I drugged when I knew I could do no more. I was its slave.

Now I live from the inside looking out. What do I do differently? I listen. I listen to my mind, my body, my actions and my emotions. Hence this little post.

A sober plan is understanding when you need help. So I am posting. And then eat. Clean myself up and put on clothes I like. Clean my home and take pride in it. Go get food and fill the fridge. Nap when I need it. Get out of the house and be seen. Take care of HALT.

Life is a series of temporary moments. Some last longer than others and yet some are even quicker than I can absorb. I need not take actions that span these moments. I need not do brain surgery with a hammer.

So I am stopping today. Listening. Letting things pass without action. They will. They always do.

What we share we strengthen.

Ken
Very nice!
Old 01-23-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Listen up newbies and listen good. If you start to devalue anything it's a sign.
Thank you, Ken. You are so right. Good is better than bad and sober is better than drunk. Your health and sanity matter. I'm glad you paused in your temporary difficulties to see this and tell the rest of us.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you for posting that. Lots for me to learn from it.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ken,

Great post. Adding it to my sober plan.

Being free of alcohol's toxic affects is a gift for us drunks.

Story time...

the division I work with has a boss..obviously...he is in charge of about 300 people. What we do is important, we have huge responsibilities.

So....He was talking w a guy in the hall and I was nearby listening. He basically drank himself sick, detoxed, got sick from detox, and then drank himself sick again...now he is on antibiotics.

This guy is brilliant. Well educated. Best of the best. But, he has no clue he is badly addicted to alcohol.

I can't save him. He has to see the end on his own. Me saying anything would end up getting me in trouble in the end.

I was in his shoes, worse for sure.

But, i got educated because of the internet (introduced me to you all).

Before the internet, i would have not gotten help until I went to the Dr. Thinking I was dieing or going crazy.

Hurray for us all.

Alcohol is poison. It fries your brain. Don't believe the hype.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Weasel,
I like the part about relapses not being inevitable as well as your whole post.

After reading several other threads this morning of folks that drank, or drank and were posting while drinking I started feeling a little upset and thought this stuff is not what I need to hear. I realize this section is for newcomers though. It seemed like I was walking through a minefield. Reminded me of a bad AA meeting there for a bit, until I found the positive threads.

One of the reasons I don't care for certain discussion sort meetings, I mean if everyone is falling off .. why bother .. why not me too ..

I will continue to build my own sober life, wish others well and be careful.
I don't have to read or dwell on certain threads.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Nargles!!! It's a crash course in learning to live sober. I am grateful every day I can come here and continue to actually live life now.

Thanks everyone. I am not out of the woods. I just needed to plant a stake so I have something to go back to to check myself.

Your support of me is immensely appreciated. Thank you!!!

K
Old 01-23-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Thanks Weasel,
I like the part about relapses not being inevitable as well as your whole post.

After reading several other threads this morning of folks that drank, or drank and were posting while drinking I started feeling a little upset and thought this stuff is not what I need to hear. I realize this section is for newcomers though. It seemed like I was walking through a minefield. Reminded me of a bad AA meeting there for a bit, until I found the positive threads.

One of the reasons I don't care for certain discussion sort meetings, I mean if everyone is falling off .. why bother .. why not me too ..

I will continue to build my own sober life, wish others well and be careful.
I don't have to read or dwell on certain threads.

Welcome to SR. There are a lot of wonderfully positive people here. Glad you are finding your way!
Old 01-23-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Brilliant post, Weasel. Great advice for the newbies and all of us.

Sending warm thoughts your way. I have no doubt that you will get through this and get through it well.

We are with you; lean on us.