Notices

almost blew it, somehow didn't

Old 01-22-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

almost blew it, somehow didn't

So....today is my 14th day not drinking, and today I had a routine colonoscopy. I didn't expect any trouble. Got out, and on the way home got hit by the worst craving I'd had since I quit.
When we drove past the convenience store where I'd always bought my alcohol, I thought - I could go back after I get dropped off at home, buy a bottle of wine, and no one would know.
Got home, and there were cigarette coupons ($2 off a pack!) waiting in my mailbox. That made it worse...I quit smoking the same day I quit drinking, because buying cigarettes would take me into the convenience store where the alcohol was. But now I had a coupon that would make a pack only $3 and change...it sounded like a great reason to go.
And I could do it just this once...I could see myself walking over there, coming home and settling in with my bottle for the night...
And somehow I didn't. I remembered them telling me in rehab that any drug could screw with your sobriety, even anesthetics. I couldn't believe how strong the pull was today. I still can't believe I didn't go buy something.
At the last minute I started thinking, "But you've been so proud of yourself. You've been telling people about your 14 days. You'd feel sick tomorrow morning. And miserably guilty. And you KNOW it wouldn't be 'just this once' once you got started. Sit down in the chair and don't go out. Just...sit...down." Sometime after that the craving just went *poof*! Gone.
I don't know how this works. I scared myself to death today. I could've blown it so easily, completely blown it and been screwed again. It didn't even occur to me to come here and ask somebody to talk me down. I don't even know exactly why I'm posting, I just wanted to tell people who'd get what it was like. Thanks if you read this far, I know this went long.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations on beating the AV. Cravings only last a few minutes. If we can keep saying "NO," the AV will become a bit weaker each time.

It really is a one day at a time process. Just don't drink today. Sounds like you won that one.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am So happy to see this! Great job you! I.hope that when I feel that pull I too will be as strong!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi crayon, an experience like yours was my turning point. Looking back, if I had turned off to the bottle shop instead of continuing on home I don't think I would have recovered. But I did keep going, and that was the decisive moment where recovery became viable.

What happened to you is a typical illustration of the good old AV. You had a slightly unnerving experience, it went well and you have the feeling of relief and getting it over with. This is precisely the moment the AV prompts you to celebrate by having a drink. One thing that always worked for me was that when a strong craving hit, I took 5 deep breaths, concentrating on my body as I did. This can be done even when driving, and it never failed to carry me through the moment.

Congratulations on holding on, you must be relieved and happy and you deserve to be.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job thepinkcrayon
Old 01-22-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Super job! Every time you kick the AV's butt, you get stronger and it gets weaker. You have a lot to be proud of!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through that craving, pinkcrayon. Good job.

Congrats on 14 sober days.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job! The cravings are often strong but fleeting; the sting of failure for caving in lasts a lot longer.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks sober! The cravings will fade with more sober time.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great you didn't cave despite the really strong temptation, sounds like you've learned something really valuable about your cravings too. See how strong you are!
xx
Old 01-23-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

Too good Pink. Outwitted it.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you beat the craving, pink crayon. I'm not surprised you felt vulnerable, colonoscopies are horrible

Thankyou for posting and sharing this. I had a similar craving when in the supermarket, it's scary how it can take your breath away. It's nice to know i'm not alone.

I like the idea of the five deep breaths, think will try that next time.

Well done, you put that stupid buggering AV in it's place and both of us can keep on doing that!!
Old 01-23-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ok, what is the AV lol?? ive no idea
Old 01-23-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

addictive voice- it's that little voice in your head telling you it's ok to drink/use etc- even though you know it's not- and it can be a right pain in the arse!!
Old 01-23-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you talked yourself through that PC

D
Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I don't know if this will help you at all, but in my mind I now have formed a distinction between having an urge vs craving.

The urge is an automatic response to something that triggers me. Sometimes I know the source, other times I don't. But it doesn't matter because it's only an urge.

A craving seems to be something more active - like if I engage the urge, then it becomes a craving and will be in a battle I don't wish to fight. Because historically it's one I've tended to lose.

Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is rough. Way stay strong. It will get much easier with time. Hang in there.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for encouragement and good advice, everyone.

Last edited by thepinkcrayon; 01-23-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: forgot to thank people
Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi crayon, an experience like yours was my turning point. Looking back, if I had turned off to the bottle shop instead of continuing on home I don't think I would have recovered. But I did keep going, and that was the decisive moment where recovery became viable.
Helpful to hear that your similar experience was a decisive moment. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow that's fantastic pinkcrayon!