Notices

Oh Friday, how I used to ruin you.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh Friday, how I used to ruin you.

Hi everyone! It is Friday and I can assume most or all of you were like me, in that every Friday meant PARTY TIME, whether anyone else wanted to party or not. It meant going out for drinks and drinking more afterward, and not feeling as ashamed because "hey, it's Friday, it's normal to have some drinks on the weekend." Right?
Too bad it never was just a couple/few, and I always ended up spending Saturday and Sunday mornings too hungover to get much of anything done.
Tonight I'm going to a family dinner, and thankfully a few of my family members also went off the sauce recently, so it shouldn't be difficult for me. BUT, it is a house I used to drink at pretty much every time.
I plan to be present in the moment, have a good time, and drink only water or juice.
How are you planning to stay away from drinking this weekend? I'd love to hear everyone's plans!
Good vibes and good night! #HeresToNoHangover
Old 01-22-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't just drink on the weekends, I drank every day. So I ruined all my days.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nice post, KMO - thanks.

Like least, I ended up drinking every day. It started out as only weekend drinking & was once fun - even manageable. Then Friday nights became weekend binges - and eventually that spilled over into the weekdays. 24/7 in the end. 'Oh life, how I used to ruin you.' I'm so happy we've left those days behind.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I didn't just drink on the weekends, I drank every day. So I ruined all my days.
Oh, don't get my wrong now! I drank EVERY day too, whenever, wherever, whatever time. I am just saying that I would try to downplay it more during the weekdays, but on weekends, I kinda let my freak flag fly because it was "the weekend."
This will be my first completely sober weekend since I was sick a couple months back. Before that, it had been a year since my last sober weekend, back when I was still pregnant. So... yeah... I will feel pretty accomplished to make it through this one. (Here's hoping!)
Old 01-22-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Nice post, KMO - thanks.

Like least, I ended up drinking every day. It started out as only weekend drinking & was once fun - even manageable. Then Friday nights became weekend binges - and eventually that spilled over into the weekdays. 24/7 in the end. 'Oh life, how I used to ruin you.' I'm so happy we've left those days behind.
Same here - it was every day, sometimes a couple days in between - but almost every day. My body started to just not be able to take it anymore.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me the risk zone is not tonight but instead it's the (American) football conference championship games on Sunday. I enjoy NFL, my team's still in the hunt, and my usual playoff habitat is with my more boozy friends. So my plan either needs to be an alternate setting (home, meh, business-fat chance it isn't a sportsBAR here), or friends who aren't as beer loving. At this point, I'm thinking I'll only be social for the game my team's in and just have the other game on while I get some housecleaning or similar done so I'm not setting myself up for 5 hours of activity. And I'll look to go to smaller and less party-type friends house, or maybe my parents. If that doesn't pan out then watch the first half of "my game" at home then go to the usual scene for the second half and with a big fountain soda (I feel confident I can do a half, not drink booze, and return home).
Old 01-22-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Friday was an excuse to ratchet it up a notch. My drinking was full of excuses.

So glad those days are over.

Sobriety rocks.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well tonight I go to my 'home' AA meeting at 8pm. Nice small town one with less then 10 people at it. Then tomorrow AM hit the local one here at 11am. Nice somber relaxing weekend in store after a 55 hour work week,,
Old 01-22-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Friday was always the beginning of my three day hard binge of drinking at home alone. I would get home from work stocked up on the hard stuff and then the weekend would be one long blackout.

This weekend, I will be sober and relaxing at home with good food (just went shopping so I can do plenty of cooking), movies, video games and I will probably stop by to see the family on Sunday. Feels good to know I will actually remember the weekend and wake up Monday sober!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great topic. I too got to the point where I was drinking every day but Friday's were an extra kind of drunk fest.

I was just thinking of this as I got home tonight. This is my 4th consecutive sober Friday night. My best streak in almost 8 years.

Friday drinking was social for me from teenage years until late 20's. At 34 it recently became just a night for me to drink alone in my house to the point of oblivion.

I don't miss that part at all. Tonight, we're watching movies with the kids, we have a fire going and that will be the only thing that gets lit here tonight.

Happy Friday and good vibes to all!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love this thread Glad to be sober this friday night with all of you.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I love reading your thoughts too. I am home now, back from what turned out to be a party with several wine bottles open and some liquor... typically like my favorite place to be on a Fri...where I could keep pouring them back & not be judged, because too much activity meant the hosts didn't know who drank what.
I'm proud to say I didn't even think about sneaking a sip. The fact has finally sunk in that it's never one sip, or one glass, or even one bottle. One sip or one glass wouldn't do a thing for me anyway, at this point.
I feel good, but I have started noticing little blips here and there, I.guess part of the symptoms of withdrawal or recovery - forget what the term is. I have moments when it's like my brain just stops, and I'm kinda disoriented. Then I'm ok.
I'm trying to pay close attention to these things so I can be aware.
Thanks for reading!