Notices

8 months sober but difficult to remain sober

Old 01-22-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 months sober but difficult to remain sober

Eight months sober on February 1st but it is getting harder to stay sober, not easier! At the beginning (<90 days) it was quite difficult not to drink then it got easier and now since before Christmas I have had a few flirtations with considering drinking particularly yday and today. I think partly I have forgotten how bad I was, my life is more boring now, I've been suffering depression/suicidiality recently, and I hate my body and keep bingeing on food (though to look at I am not fat and go to the gym). I am doubting whether I can go back to drinking just once per week although I may well regret it. I don't want to have wasted my 8 months which is a big reason I have stayed sober so long but I need something that makes my life more exciting like alcohol did and gives me a 'high' and relaxation. Ironically; I start volunteering at the Amy Winehouse Foundation in Monday and a requirement is 6 months sobriety.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ah James, I'm sorry things are tough. Please talk to your dr about the depression and suicidal thoughts. There is no need to suffer because therapy/medication may be able to make a difference to you.

As for the binge eating, I feel that it's easy to transfer from one addiction to another unless you get to the root of the problems. Have you been able to work on issues that led you to drinking and binge eating?

Good on you for volunteering at the Amy Winehouse Foundation. It sounds like a very worthwhile cause.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The volunteer experience may be just what you need, JamesfrmEngland, to reinfuse a passion for sobriety and give more purpose to your life. Volunteering has a way of providing strength and comfort to the recipient and the volunteer.

I hope that you see your doctor about your depression, suicidal ideations, and binge eating. There is likely much he can do to help you.

Great job on almost eight months of sobriety; well done.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 8 months sobriety James

Well done for volunteering for the Amy Winehouse Foundation as well - maybe seeing others who need help will give your sobriety a boost
Old 01-22-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well done on 8 months and lots of luck with the volunteering job.
Life may be tough at the moment, but at the risk of sounding trite, you know that drinking is not really the answer to feeling better. You've done a brilliant job getting to 8 months, I hope you can do what it takes to build on this.
Stay well
xx
Old 01-22-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi James,
Congratulations on YOUR 8 months and agree that suggestions about seeing your doctor re depression, suicidal ideation, binge eating, etc are sound. Alcohol is not going to make that stuff go away James, only make it worse. IMO. We had the hottest day in decades here in Australia the other day and I was in the bank with my sister who I have just started to re-connect with, which makes me so happy. I said to her that on really hot days (beach etc) I start to romanticise alcohol and think a coldie would really hit the spot. I asked her if she ever felt like that and she said "No, I feel like going for a swim." This is how I want to think too. I'm working on a plan. It's a con James just like the one that says you have won sixty billion dollars in a Nigerian lottery. LOL. Hang in James and good idea to see your doctor and please keep posting.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 months sober! Please do see your doctor for help with the depression and suicidal thoughts.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

8 Months is fantastic James!!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent James thank you for sharing
Old 01-23-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi JfE -

Tough to enjoy sober life if you're feeling suicidal. Alcohol is a depressant, though, and will likely make you feel worse, not better. Do you want that?

What steps have you taken to help with depression and suicidal thoughts so far?

Medicines and support for depression have a much better shot at working once you're months sober and your brain chemistry is alcohol free. Don't throw that opportunity away to fully heal.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go! 8 months is awesome.

For me, not drinking was only part of what had to happen for an enjoyable, rewarding life in sobriety.

AA, step work, counseling (life stuff, emotions, facing unresolved issues...), exercise, changes in focus.... and yes - vilunteering and service were really helpful.

Even with all of that, the first year was hard. The second was much better and as I embark on my third, I am finding new areas of my self and my life calling for growth, but life is GOOD.

I don't know what your overall approach to sobriety is beyond 'not drinking', but ask yourself in what ways you might take action to enrich your life, heal yourself, expand yourself, love yourself, discover new facets of yourself and of life. Step out of the discomfort and into the possibility. Set your intention - every day - to live and grow as fully and deeply as you can.

It gets better.