Notices

Yet?

Old 01-22-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yet?

I've attended AA meetings. People have lost jobs, homes, families... but I kept telling myself, "that's not me." Reality checked in, "yet." What moment did you decide was "yet"? For me, it was whenever I puked up straight Jim Beam alongside my bathtub, called into work the next day, was so shaky I couldn't even hold a pen, 'slept' for 18 hours and cried myself to sleep because I knew I couldn't stop drinking.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I knew I was an alcoholic for a long time but it was when my life became unmanageable that I knew me and my best friend vodka had to part ways
Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

If I was told I had early signs of cancer, I'd begin treatment.
I knew, I had a problem with alcohol a long time before I did anything about it.

A friend of mine came into AA saying the same thing. I watched with in a year or so, he lost his job, got a DUI, did rehab, got divorced, tried committing suicide.
Last I heard from a mutual friend he's locked up somewhere .

Lucky are the people that come to grips with their alcohol problem before it ruins their lives and destroys their families
Old 01-22-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I had a good woman who brought me to a place where I could view myself and my behavior objectively. I doubt I would have done it myself.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Countless different things made me realize I was going down a bad road but when my employer gave me the ultimatum of taking a severance package and leaving or making a commitment to sobriety to continue working things got real.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't have any big "aha" moment, just became tired of the cycle of waking up feeling icky, and thinking I won't drink tonight. Then as the day progressed my resolve disappeared and I found myself with more wine. I needed to get off the rollercoaster.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just got sick and tired of waking up feeling awful and hating myself.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being called into talk to the Boss.
Being sent to a conselor..Being sent to rehab (TWICE!)

Being sent home from work, for being intoxicated...(TWICE!! again!)

Drinking Whiskey every night to ...*Relax* only to be shaky and sick in the shower (most mornings i didn't stand...i sat in the shower)

Unplanned hospital visits (SCARY indeed.)

Let me just say i could go ON and ON...But i won't. At this point...Pretty sure the last *YET* would be my death.

And i don't want to die. Life isn't perfect but IT is worth living.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

it nearly killed me and I finally just didn't want to drink any more. the chaos, the losses - none of it stopped me. the last withdrawal did. I don't have another recovery in me, so I'll stick with this one.

21 months sober.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I walked into my pre-trial probation officers office at 10:30am and she said I smelled of alcohol and pulled out a breathalyzer. I blew a .06 bac. She let me walk off after the appointment to my amazement. .08 is the limit here.

I had drank until about 3am I think. So given the time in between I must of been up there. I got up almost late and had just thrown on some cloths and jumped in the truck to make the appt.

I am awaiting trial on a dui2 and accident, I quit for about a few weeks after that but sought no help and turned back to drinking to blot out the coming jail sentence I felt most likely.

So the P.O. said she would send this test to the prosecutor and see what he had to say. I figured I would have my bond revoked shortly and took to peering out the blinds for police cars at times. I was still drinking now that I really upped the stress level.

Like a split personality, one trying to do me in, the other trying to save me

Then I looked up the program the court would impose on me for a dui, usually done after jail by court order. I found I could pre-enroll before any conviction.
So I scraped up the $400. and got in the program.

Sent the P.O. all the documents and an email to the prosecutors office.
Never heard anything from the prosecutor thankfully.

I kept drinking right up until I knew they were going to begin the EtG testing which goes back 3 or 4 days.

I quit finally 7 days before the testing. Been sober now almost a month. It has taken hold now. I did have a bit of help from having a prescription to klonopin. Those first few days.

Now I am almost off that as well under a doctors supervision.

I still expect to go to jail but I will be ok. I have enough time to finish the program and also have a long term plan to keep sober after jail before I go

.That's what it took. Even facing all this I feel so much better and am not stressed out, just taking things day by day.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had wanted to do something about my drinking problem for several years, but couldn't find "it" in me. The decades swept by and I was facing 50 square on. Something about the approach of that birthday made me find the strength, I didn't want to continue into middle age compromising my health, my parenting, my work life................ compromising everything as my drinking was the only thing making rapid progress.