Notices

Almost lost it today

Old 01-21-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost lost it today

I will have one month on the 25th, but these last few days have been rough. I am scared and exhausted all the time. I have some health concerns, small children one of them with special needs. Worst case scenarios abound. So much more, but for simplicities sake let's just say it's been unpleasant. I almost drank. And not just a little bit but I pretty much surrendered myself to that fact. I still want to, but as of right now I am still sober. Need some love. Thanks guys
Old 01-21-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that things are tough for you right now and I'm really glad that you didn't give in and drink. You have close to one month sober and that's a great accomplishment.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't give in now! Drinking won't make any problems go away, it will just magnify them tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there Lscotty! You got this, the 25th is so close, think how proud you will be then!

My step-son is autistic, I know how stressful it can be. So many times I used his outbursts or struggles as a reason to drink. But in the end, it's just another excuse.

You got this, I know you do!
Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KT222 View Post
Hang in there Lscotty! You got this, the 25th is so close, think how proud you will be then!

My step-son is autistic, I know how stressful it can be. So many times I used his outbursts or struggles as a reason to drink. But in the end, it's just another excuse.

You got this, I know you do!
Thanks guys. Being sober, I have no buffer between me and the reality. I have six-year-old with autism, who is the light of my life and my 16 month old now at Johns Hopkins with an eating disorder. All I can think of is oblivion would be nice right now, but I know better. I need a mental vacation, a few days of sleep and some understanding in my life right now. But none of those things are available I just can't wait for this to get better. Maybe I need to learn acceptance instead. Being grown up is hard.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just get through today, take each day as it comes. As hard as things may be right now, the booze will just put a damp cloth on it, which doesn't last & then u have all the s**t feelings afterwards to endure. U can do it. Keep posting!!!x
Old 01-21-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't think about drinking. It sounds easy to give in and just drink but you know it will make things worse. Turn your attention and responsibility to the child you needs you and you need to be sober to take care of yourself. I have health problems as well, I know. You can do this!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep going strong LS. You're doing what it takes to make it through your day without drinking. One day at a time...

One thing I know, and so do you, drinking will only compound every problem you have.

Stick close to SR, you're doing great.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lscotty1 View Post
Thanks guys. Being sober, I have no buffer between me and the reality. I have six-year-old with autism, who is the light of my life and my 16 month old now at Johns Hopkins with an eating disorder. All I can think of is oblivion would be nice right now, but I know better. I need a mental vacation, a few days of sleep and some understanding in my life right now. But none of those things are available I just can't wait for this to get better. Maybe I need to learn acceptance instead. Being grown up is hard.
You certainly have a lot on your plate, Lscotty.

As others have said, drinking won't solve a thing and will only make you feel much worse.

Your month sober is right around the corner; hang on; one month of sobriety is going to feel amazing.

I am very proud of you. Be proud of your amazing self.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Big hugs and compassion from me.

My youngest has ADHD and has a lot of social and academic issues. The one thing I can promise you is that these wonderful children that we created need us sober and healthy. I have been sober for nearly 70 days with one minor slip and I have never felt so close to my son and emotionally present and able to help him. I can only imagine how tough things are. But drink and hangovers will make things a hundred times tougher.

What kind of support to you have around you?

Hugs x
Old 01-21-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Lscotty1 View Post
I have no buffer between me and the reality.
Who does? Do you think non-alcoholics are gifted with such a buffer?

They aren't. They deal with reality or they cope by finding healthy ways to put some space between themselves and the harshness of life.

But they don't drink to oblivion.