Notices

Withdrawl Symptoms or Something More??

Old 01-19-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl Symptoms or Something More??

Hi!! I am a 30+ year old woman who has been struggling with alcohol for about 7 years. I have stopped on and off many times throughout that period. Most recently however I was on a two week long binge when I decided enough was enough and I stopped altogether two days ago. I have never really had withdrawal symptoms before but last night I woke up at 1am and just couldn't get back to sleep.....I am assuming because my brain was so wired to pass out when I was drunk. And then tonight I have had some odd things happening.....I woke up after falling asleep for only an hour (I took 10mg of melatonin to help me sleep) with a weird pressure in my chest and in my back back and the odd need to burp?? I started to get panicked that I was maybe having a heart attack and of course all of the symptoms worsened with my panic. I got up and got dressed ready to go to the ER, pacing around my house not knowing what to do?? Are these withdrawal symptoms? Would they be worse on day two then they were on day one...shouldn't they be getting better?? Do I need to go to the hospital?
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello samm. Withdrawals can get worse in the second day. If you feel you need medical help don't be afraid to get it. It could be anxiety or a physical problem, but it's always better to be safe than sorry if you have doubts.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you - I think I will wait until morning and see my GP. I was afraid I was having a heart attack but now I am fairly certain it is withdrawal.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Insomnia and anxiety are both common withdrawal symptoms, and yes, they can be worse on the second day than the first. After your central nervous system gets used to being artificially sedated by alcohol, it bounces back like a coiled spring when you take the alcohol away, causing the symptoms you describe.

It's always best and safest to seek medical attention when detoxing, and certainly it would be on the safe side to consult a doctor about the chest pressure sensation just in case it's something more than withdrawal-induced anxiety. Alcohol withdrawal can be deadly.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are planning to see your doctor tomorrow, however, if it gets worse tonight don't hesitate to go to the ER.

Hope you feel better soon.;-)