Notices

I think I have a plan

Old 01-19-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I have a plan

I'm ready to leave booze behind. I know that.

As I understand it (please add to or correct this), having 'A Plan' means making the decision to quit and having some go-to activities ready when cravings hit - is that about right?

The decision is made. period. And here's what I plan to do when the AV speaks up:

• Read - I have Rational Recovery and the Vale 'Kick The Drink' book, so start there. I've gotten through about 1/2 of each in the past ... then always opened a beer / poured a shot before long, ugh. Need to really study and embrace the messages this time. Commit to understanding the trap.

• Excercise - Start with walking more, join a gym later. Got a Fitbit recently - it's a wrist device that tracks # of steps per day among other things. Good motivation there to walk the dog much more often, she's gonna love that.

• Music - Specifically learn some theory. I've had a guitar and bass for many many years and would estimate 90% of the time one was in hand, there was some level of intoxication as well. Not coincidentally, I can't do much more on the damn things than noodle out crappy versions of a handful of songs ... after all this time I'm going to finally learn about scales, modes, etc. So the plan here is to really dive into an old hobby that went dormant. Hopefully a productive distraction when bored and I don't feel like reading or even thinking about the cravings.

Well, those are my three pillars I guess. I've read a little about Urge Surfing here - that sounds like something to try too. This all has been rattling in my head for a while now, time to act. I've never written it out like this, it actually flowed much easier than expected. Will be good to re-read when motivation is needed. Look forward to any feedback. I'll be around, thanks.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Read through the site. Plenty of mention of Plans, what there are, what they aren't, what works, what doesn't, and what happens to those who either don't have a plan or who don't use the one they created.

Reading, Exercise, and Music are all great ways to keep busy and to distract yourself during the times when you are normally drinking. But they are hardly pillars of recovery.

What are you going to do when your motivation to do anything flees? When you can't sleep? When your anger and guilt and resentments eat you up? When your friends try to get you to go out? Try to get you to drink? When you feel like celebrating? When you feel depressed, or stressed, or bored and the only thing that will relieve it is drinking?

Deal with all that and you have a plan!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Music theory is an AWESOME subject and can keep you busy a very long time. It kept me busy for 10 years (I got a Ph.D. in it!). In addition to chords, tonality, voiceleading, you can also study musical form, which might feed a compositional creative streak for you! :-)

I think you've got the gist of it. Like Carl says, also plan for sudden cravings, emotions, etc.

Keep posting and let us know how it goes! I'll be rooting for you. This is Day 9 for me!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks Carl will give that a lot of thought - will power won't be enough I suppose

yeah, I'm gonna dig in 'Cuse. likely never reach PhD but it should be fun
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I LOVE my Fitbit! I highly suggest the challenges if you are the competitive type (which I am). I will pace the living room trying to beat the person that is ahead of me, it's great motivation.

Great choices for alternate activities!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Nice. Finding new purpose for my time was a really important thing for me. Music and Exercise are great... after we neglect our mind and hurt our body, it's good to put each to positive use.

That kind of thing was central to my plan starting out and becomes more so with time... you start with hobbies and you move on to a whole identity that doesn't involve drinking. It gets pretty existential but a big part of it can come down to just what you do with your time.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Newjim. This is a great community with a ton of wisdom and support.

Early on, it helped me tremendously to stick as close as I could to SR. I read as many old posts as I could and tried to stay as active as I could. The more time I spent here, the more I realized my story was not unique and I was not alone.

You can do this. It is a tough road and takes realigning yourself both mentally and physically. But I promise, you won't regret the decision. Your life will open up.

Lean on us as much as you need.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I agree with reading around this site, everything from the 12 Step forum to the anxiety forum, to the Secular, to Fitness.

BTW, in fitness there is a Fitbit group you can join.

Keep posting. We need you as much as you need us. I'm glad you found us!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi NJ, yes what you have posted is a part of it for sure.I thin a plan can also include some other things. For example, group support. Who will you reach out to when the going gets tough? Who will you confide in? It could be a friend or even AA. It will be helpful to have someone to talk to who you can trust.
A plan can also include things like a reward each week like a nice meal each weekend, or a short break to look forward to. Maybe it could include some more spiritual to start you down the road of self discovery now that you will be sober.
So maybe think of a plan in terms of short term survival and craving fighting but also some more holistic things so that will make it a little easier to transition from white knuckling towards more balanced living.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome new Jim

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 01-19-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NewJim!!
Old 01-19-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome NewJim!
Old 01-19-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reading, exercise and music are all things that are important to me, too. I have found that balance is really important in my life and so it's my intention to incorporate several things into my daily routine.