Notices

Morning conversation with my wife

Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning conversation with my wife

Just wanted to share this, as its a first. This weekend had big time football stuff going on, where I live it was incredibly cold (like don't leave the house if you don't have to cold), and today was MLK day so she didn't have to work. We have both gone about our daily activities staying busy with whatever, and it has been very pleasant. So I mentioned to her this morning how different things in the past have been. I would have been drunk or hungover since Friday, we'd have tons of leftover ordered food (from me) in the fridge. Today I would have made up some reason to drink because its a "day off". Tomorrow she would have went back to work and I probably would have secretly weened myself off of the 4 day bender I was just on. I can honestly say I didn't think about drinking much at all (pretty rare), and I genuinely enjoyed this stretch of just the two of us holed up in the house while its so damn cold out.
Here's where its getting a little weird for me, I'm not thinking about drinking or alcohol much. My thoughts are elsewhere. I mean that sincerely, I'm starting to think about other things a lot more. And its not intentional or that I'm making an effort towards it. Anyone care to guess as to why this is?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is sobriety becoming second nature for you - an intricate part of who you are? It's fabulous when that happens.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I changed Jeff...and because of that a lot of other things changed too.

I wouldn't say let down your guard - not just yet....but I think it's OK to enjoy this - it's normal life as experienced by millions and millions of folks all over the world

D
Old 01-18-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't remember how long it's been for you, but it sounds normal for a year. I'm almost at two, and its hit and miss (feelings during situations of previous heavy use). I welcome the times I just have fun without giving it a second thought.

I also welcome short remembrances of hangovers-past when I'm up in the morning feeling pretty darn good.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Here's where its getting a little weird for me, I'm not thinking about drinking or alcohol much. I mean that sincerely, I'm starting to think about other things a lot more. And its not intentional or that I'm making an effort towards it. Anyone care to guess as to why this is?
It comes and goes in waves it seems...not sure there is a concrete answer as to "why". Enjoy it while it lasts, it could be because you are actively involved in other positive activities. Some people use the term "pink cloud" to describe a period of time not long after quitting where they feel good/great about their newfound sobriety. It usually doesn't last forever od course, and rhe cravings/addictive thought creep back in eventually. Just be ready...but enjoy the good times while they last!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It comes in waves. There's a lull and then another wave hits you.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I won't let my guard down or get complacent, but I am enjoying it. But it just kind of dawned on me that I wasn't thinking incessantly about drinking or not drinking. When I reflect on times in the past, I did think about alcohol way too much, even if I was not drinking. I was either focused on work, or being done with work, so I could drink. I had a water bottle hidden in my desk, the weekend was almost entirely dedicated to alcohol, or thinking about it. Its just now kind of sinking in. At the time I thought it was fairly normal and that lots of people did what I did....even worse (someone is always worse than me right?). Anyway, its just different. I hope it continues.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
now's the time

I know what you mean. I used to think about drinking, or the effects of drinking, constantly.

I was thinking about that today.... noticing how nice it is to just be effectively doing things, no thoughts to my body feeling hurt or to needing to have a drink. It's lovely. Glad you had that too today!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

My guess is it's due to neuroplasticity. Your brain is healing and you are learning new ways of thinking. The alcohol obsession is gone. Always remain vigilant, but also be open to the possibility that your days of mental obsession may in fact be over.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Here's where its getting a little weird for me, I'm not thinking about drinking or alcohol much. My thoughts are elsewhere. I mean that sincerely, I'm starting to think about other things a lot more. And its not intentional or that I'm making an effort towards it. Anyone care to guess as to why this is?
Not thinking about drinking is the end result of recovery. The time to worry is when you stop thinking about recovery. The end result of that is usually drinking.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent news
Old 01-19-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds positive Jeff!!
Old 01-19-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm starting to think about other things a lot more. And its not intentional or that I'm making an effort towards it. Anyone care to guess as to why this is?
I found the same thing.

When I fully decided and accepted that drinking was no longer an option, my mind began to find new and healthy things to do. It was really great. I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That sounds great.

Enjoy it.