Notices

Gradual

Old 01-18-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gradual

I find it hard to go cold turkey. I've tried and tried and to no avail. I was in between jobs in November and had to start skipping a day here and there due to finances. I actually was able to start "only" drinking 4 days a week and my plan for the new year was to drink 3 days a week or less.

I still can't master the quantity and I always max out every time I drink like I have for the past many years. My plan is to try and keep going with the 3 day a week plan, and maybe in a month or two, start limiting the quantity. I think for me this is the best way to go and am actually following the map i drew out.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I did that. It lasted 15 years for me.

I had to quit cold turkey when I did finally quit.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

If you're like most of us, moderating is way too hard. It's so much easier to just quite drinking. Just do that for today and repeat when tomorrow comes.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am an all or nothing person. When it comes to alcohol I had to stop all together.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's easier to cut drinking out altogether than it is to moderate, only drink on certain days, etc.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I have stopped a number of times by doing what you suggest (note with great caution that I say "a number of times"), but included limiting the quantity. Essentially, I detoxed with alcohol. First night, cut back normal quantity by 25%. Decrease by 2 standard drinks nightly. When I got to 4 standard drinks, that was my last night.

The way I was able to do this was to either buy exactly the quantity I intended to drink OR to pour out the excess before beginning for the night.

This worked well to help me quit, but it did not KEEP me quit. So I went through this cycle many times because each time I decided to start again, it was the same only in reverse. (I thought 1/2 pint of vodka in a night - every night - was "pretty good!")

So this time I'm doing Intensive Outpatient. I've been off the booze for 7 days - so far, so good. Stay tuned, because trouble usually appears around 10 days, but I'm fairly certain that won't cause me to drink this time. I'm leveraging my pride to my advantage - showing up for this program motivates me to see it through to the end.

So while most people will tell you tapering can't work, I'll say it can. IF you are able to actually reduce your drinking every episode AND have a plan for what you do when you get to zero. And I think several months of binging three times/week is no change at all, really, from what you are doing now.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
I have stopped a number of times by doing what you suggest (note with great caution that I say "a number of times"), but included limiting the quantity. Essentially, I detoxed with alcohol. First night, cut back normal quantity by 25%. Decrease by 2 standard drinks nightly. When I got to 4 standard drinks, that was my last night.

The way I was able to do this was to either buy exactly the quantity I intended to drink OR to pour out the excess before beginning for the night.

This worked well to help me quit, but it did not KEEP me quit. So I went through this cycle many times because each time I decided to start again, it was the same only in reverse. (I thought 1/2 pint of vodka in a night - every night - was "pretty good!")

So this time I'm doing Intensive Outpatient. I've been off the booze for 7 days - so far, so good. Stay tuned, because trouble usually appears around 10 days, but I'm fairly certain that won't cause me to drink this time. I'm leveraging my pride to my advantage - showing up for this program motivates me to see it through to the end.

So while most people will tell you tapering can't work, I'll say it can. IF you are able to actually reduce your drinking every episode AND have a plan for what you do when you get to zero. And I think several months of binging three times/week is no change at all, really, from what you are doing now.
I'm not convinced at what I first posted, but want to discuss it further.

I agree with your post until the last sentence. I would say that binging three times a week is definitely better than what I was doing and I can feel my mental state getting better. I'm pacing myself before going stone sober because it hasn't worked in the past. I agree the hardest challenge will be from going from max to less quantity. Maybe I will fail and it will lead me to realization of what I really need to do.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by SickOfIt79 View Post
I actually was able to start "only" drinking 4 days a week and my plan for the new year was to drink 3 days a week or less.

I still can't master the quantity and I always max out every time I drink like I have for the past many years. My plan is to try and keep going with the 3 day a week plan, and maybe in a month or two, start limiting the quantity.
I was going on what you wrote. The plan for the new year was to drink 3 days a week but without mastering the quantity. What did I miss?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried tapering, moderation, trying to control it, using meds to control it, for 30+ years. Short story - I drank away 30+ years of my life.

It was a dang sight easier to just quit. Also, it was effective.

YMMV, but I kinda doubt it. I never heard of anyone getting sober by drinking.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not anti-quitting. I just find it harder to quit. If there is advice out there, I will take it. I'm a single dad and don't have babysitting arrangements available to attend meetings.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really can see the logic for tapering IF one is physically dependent. Even then its easier, safer, and more likely to actually work if medical help is consulted. -turns out alcohol is difficult to dose properly.

The situation you describe doesn't sound like a physical withdrawal problem, rather habitual episodic binging.

If that is the case you are playing an unnecessary game. Quitting problematic drinking is gonna sting at first. There is just NO way around that.

I know this is a corny analogy, but think about jumping into the pool that might be a little cool. You can play around for ten minutes, or just jump in.

I promise you, the water is fine!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In the last 2 years or so I have also tried to taper... Making deals with myself only to drink on weekends, only drink every other day etc and I always end up at the same place which is drinking every single day, and in larger amounts than I ever did before. I've realised I am an all or nothing person.... Maybe you are too? If you can manage to stop drinking altogether I think you'll feel so much better. There is so much support on here for you... Good luck with your journey. Stay close to Sr-we are all here for you x
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to a Dr I went cold turkey but can't advise that as I don't know you & I'm not a Dr

Best of luck
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I could never do the taper thing...all or nothing! I found it best to just detox with a doctors help (meds) and start a program of abstinence ie. AA, SMART, SR or a good IOP. For those that can taper...more power to ya! Best Wishes
Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SickOfIt79 View Post
I'm not anti-quitting. I just find it harder to quit. If there is advice out there, I will take it. I'm a single dad and don't have babysitting arrangements available to attend meetings.
Quitting drinking is hard. Flat out. No getting around it. You seem determined to drag the drinking out. Drinking is always easier than quitting. If your plan is to cut down, you will succeed or you won't. My advice is if you plan to do this on your own, read and post daily to SR. Join one of the newcomers "classes" for accountability.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried many times to moderate my drinking. Always failed miserably. It was easier for me to just quit completely.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It sounds like just another irrational scheme that we alcoholics come up with so that we can keep on drinking.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck with the tapering. Just a thought because it sounds like you are determined to continue your drinking (I'm not against that route either), but I would track how much you are drinking each binge night. I personally keep a journal about that sort of stuff. You need to know how much you are drinking. That is important. Also, as a single dad, I'm guessing the money you would save by not drinking could pay for the babysitting to go to classes. No judging from this guy though as I have had my share of beers (and a bunch of other guys' share too)