Notices

Its time to quit again

Old 01-18-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its time to quit again

Just starting this thread as a record for this new attempt at quitting the booze. After a few quit attempts and actually quitting for just under 2 months the first try then a 2 week quit and 3 week quit plus a few days here and there since may 24 2015 I have now gotten fully back into my regular drinking ways and I am ready for quit number 4. I am so tired of the negative affects of alcohol like depression, low energy/laziness, un-clear thinking, ETC. Basically I just cant stand the though of alcohol being my master and telling me what to do and how to live (i.e drink whenever possible)
Anyways this is actually day 2 as I had the stomach flu yesterday and was not able to drink so it seemed like a good time to start.

Brian
Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back, QuitForSon; nice to see you!!!!!

I am sorry that you have been having a tough time.

Have you thought about a new plan?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here - I too had a lot of flu when drinking. I would typically blame it on some greasy fast food at 2 am.......

Hope you'll stick around and make this the 4th "attempt" a lasting commitment. I had thoughts I didn't like about drinking but until I put some action to my thinking, nothing changed. I take that back - things continued to get worse.

Hope you'll find what work for you, friend
Old 01-18-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your story is similar to mine. I had nearly four months, got back in the habit, had a good month, got back into it, had a little under three weeks in November, and now I'm halfway through my first day again. How're you feeling so far today? I'm hanging in there, the anxiety and routine keeps calling me, but I know how much I would've already had today and so I feel like day 2 is right around the corner!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck. You are an inspiration. Keep at it and keep us updated!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Q4S! I understand the rollercoaster ride that you've been on, I rode it myself for a long time as did many others here.

Do you have any sort of plan as to what you might do this time to really make it work? For me the real key was acceptance - that no matter how many times I try, i will never be able to control my drinking. I also accepted that there is no logical reason for this, it just IS - and it will always be this way. So therefore, picking up the first drink is never an option, ever.

I used SR, my family and some counseling to get to where I am now...hope we can help you get there too!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brian,

You're not alone, so I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Brian

Have you thought what you might do differently this time?

D
Old 01-18-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back, trying again.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your replies. I guess I will need to figure out a proper plan as I don't want to keep the roller coaster pattern going any longer I just want to be done with it. I have accepted that I am an alcoholic and that I cannot moderate but it is still hard as you all know. Anyways day 3 now and things should get easier as my other quits always got easier (craving wise) after the first 3 days.

Brian
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here's some links to get you started

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hang in there, brotha.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Welcome. I'm right behind you. We can do this! I know exactly what you mean - I am not ok with serving Master Alcohol anymore.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by QuitForSon View Post
Basically I just cant stand the though of alcohol being my master and telling me what to do and how to live
BOOM!

I never knew I was a slave until I was free.

You can do this!
Old 01-19-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back Brian!!
Old 01-20-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Stay on the winning team Brian
Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Brian? Hang in there.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by QuitForSon View Post
Just starting this thread as a record for this new attempt at quitting the booze. After a few quit attempts and actually quitting for just under 2 months the first try then a 2 week quit and 3 week quit plus a few days here and there since may 24 2015 I have now gotten fully back into my regular drinking ways and I am ready for quit number 4. I am so tired of the negative affects of alcohol like depression, low energy/laziness, un-clear thinking, ETC. Basically I just cant stand the though of alcohol being my master and telling me what to do and how to live (i.e drink whenever possible)
Anyways this is actually day 2 as I had the stomach flu yesterday and was not able to drink so it seemed like a good time to start.

Brian
Right on, Brian. Congratulations.

What arose for me when I read your words was my own experience in relation to "quitting".

For me, I found joy and depth and success when I quit quitting and started starting.

I'm not honestly even sure how many times I "attempted" to "quit".....

But when I honestly and fully STARTED to START, everything shifted and I've been sober ever since.

Started to start what, you ask? Living Sober. Living Life.

For me.... 'quitting' was always just a soft-handed word for "Missing out". It was code for "there's something wrong with me". It was synonymous with "I can't".

Starting to start, on the other hand, was a hopeful perspective that was about "Welcoming all that I've BEEN MISSING out on". It was about "I am living fully!!" It was about "I CHOOSE".

These were far more empowering for me and really helped me change the way I was looking at alcohol and sobriety.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am doing fine so far, today is day 4 and I have already started eating better and exercising which helps both in giving me something to do and is also making me stronger and more energetic/healthy. I have been kicking around the idea of going to an AA meeting which I have never done before but as like many others I don't really care for the higher power/god thing. I believe I need to do things for myself and not try a get some mystical entity to help me, it just seems weird to me. but I do believe in "to each there own" and do whatever works for you.

FreeOwl I enjoyed reading your take on attempting to quit, quitting and starting to quit, it made some good sense to me.

Oh and thanks to everyone else for their kind words and inspiration.

Thanks,
Brian