Notices
View Poll Results: What should I do from here?
Stay on the same path- sober
7.14%
Tell my husband
0%
Dedicate my life to being a good person, wife and friend
14.29%
Forgive myself and move on
78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Life after recovery- feelings of guilt and shame

Old 01-18-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life after recovery- feelings of guilt and shame

I have not had a drink in close to 3 months... Alcohol was my best friend for easily half of my life. I am a very anxious, socially awkward person, but that would completely disappear when I was drinking. Being drunk and flirty is ok when you are young, but not when you are an adult in a serious relationship

About 18 months ago I started taking Prozac for my panic attacks. Doctors advise not to drink when on anti- depressants. There is a reason for that.

During that time I attempted to sleep with my husbands best friend (he turned me down, thank god). I pashed my best friend several times. The last night I ever drank I had sex with my best friends husband... While she was in the next room. She walked in on us after our clothes were back on, but she could tell something had happened

The next day I started attending a.a meetings. I had spiraled to a complete mess. I had been drinking everyday to the state of being drunk, often by myself.

It's crazy, because my husband is the most beautiful man that I have ever known. I love him like crazy. When I drink though, especially while on prescription pills, I act completely in the moment, without regard to anyone's feelings

My husband doesn't know about me sleeping with one of his best friends (who is also my best friends husband). She decided that she didn't want him to know, which surprised me, as long as I got help . My husband would of been devastated, Her husband had admitted to having feeling towards me, and even that alone almost ended the friendship between him and my husband. I destroyed our friendship, and I destroyed her. She was in a deep depression for 2 months after. We are now working on our friendship, but it's hard

I love being sober, and I am now dedicating my life to being the best wife that I can. I owe him so much

Even so, I feel horrible guilt all the time. I knew that something drastic had to happen for me to stop drinking, but I didn't imagine that it would have been this bad

Has anybody out there been through something similar? Is there someone else who feels like they are a good person, but addiction and depression led them down a very bad path? I would love some guidance
Old 01-18-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're not alone... Welcome... No judgement or condemnation... Stick around...
Old 01-18-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did not sleep with anybody else , but still trying to forgive myself ...
Old 01-18-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Frank

I think we've all done things we're deeply ashamed of when drunk - I know I have.

I can't tell you what to do regards your life and secrets - I just know that guilt can be very heavy to carry around.

What I can do is offer you support and encourage on get sober and staying that way.

You don't have to live that way anymore - and you're not alone

D
Old 01-18-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Yes. I used to take anti-depressants too (Mirtazapine) and drank on top. They dole them out like lollies in detox/rehab. So yes, I have done things that never in my wildest dreams would I ever even consider. They weirded me out and the WD was terrible. But have to say that alcohol alone had me do the same. So good to not be drinking. Trying to learn to forgive myself because if sober these stupidities will never happen again and that's good enough for me. What else can a girl do? As for the poll I ticked 'forgive myself and move on' but the moving on would mean me being sober.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Frankpowers I can only echo what's been said no judgement I'd be pretty hypocritical if I did as I have done things that I was ashamed of & regretted doing in my drinking days

I can't tell you what I think the best option is for you to do apart from at this point just to remain focused solely on your sobriety
Old 01-18-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are not alone. Almost all of us have done things completely out of character, things we feel ashamed of and regret whilst drunk. What's done is done you can't un do the past, you need to forgive yourself and move on. Your friend obviously cares about your friendship enough to work things out and to forgive you. You owe it to her and to yourself to stay sober. You never need to be in this situation again, you can continue living a life of conscious well thought out sober decisions. The shame will fade in time. Things will get better. Forgive yourself.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did some crazy and devastating things like that years ago. I just chose to keep drinking to make my guilt and shame "go away". After a few years of drinking it away, I just ended up isolating and trying to shun all friends so I'd have no reason to disappoint everyone and myself.....didn't work btw.

Only then did I finally get sober.

Then it all came flying back at first, all the shame and guilt I'd buried with alcohol, but it is lessening. If I let myself go down that road and jump in the cesspool of my past life, I can relive all the pain again with no problem. But, what I'm getting better at is forgiveness, looking forward, and living my life now as a sober person who would never do some of things as I did. I am no longer that person and don't ever want to be. I have to forgive myself daily sometimes. I am a good person, who made horrible decisions when drinking....and I can't change a thing no matter how much I beat myself up about it.

I'm only a a little ahead of you being sober, so maybe some more time? I'm sure still learning but thats okay. The guilt/shame I feel today sober is NOTHING compared to how it felt when I as drinking.

It sounds as if you're on the right path and are a good person. Accept your past, forgive yourself and move forward. You are not that drunk anymore.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Frank!!

For me the more time I've put between my old life and my new life the better things have gotten regarding feelings over things I did during my drinking days, the more we create a new Sober life, one that we are fully in control of rather than the chaos alcohol created the easier I found it to let go of the past and firmly focus on a happier future.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Grats on close to 90 days, great start!

A lot changed for me in my first 90 days - brain started to clear some and the fog began to roll out of the harbor, so to speak.

I found simply saying I was sorry was hollow words, again. By taking the action of staying sober we can start to view things with a different light. What I thought was the right thing to do at 90 days is much different into my second year.

Thanks for the post, glad you're here with us!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Options 1, 3, & 4 can be done together. Taken together, they're what I'd do were I in your shoes.

I won't say anything about telling your husband. I think what AA says about avoiding needless hurt is valuable, but I also know that living with a secret as awful as yours must be quite the burden.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, well done on your 90 days!! I have done some things Iam deeply ashamed of drunk that I would not do sober and Iam living with the guilt also, as deep down like you said Iam a good person who was led to do things totally out of character whilst drinking... Try to forgive yourself I know it's easier said than done but Iam sure the more sober time you put Between your old life and new the guilt will lessen. Also if you was not a good person you would not be posting on here you would not care. Peace
Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I second Thump. Do not tell your husband right now. There is time for that down the road, if you still feel it is necessary.

The other three, heck yes, do that stuff!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I've been on the other side of this equation.

My advice would be that if there is Any Chance in The World he will find out, then tell him. If that's not going to happen and you know for certain that you will never cheat again, don't say a thing. Forgive yourself, continue to work on yourself, your friendship and your marriage.

Being cheated on and finding out on my own was just about unbearable. It certainly would have been better to have been told directly, but best of all (in my opinion) would be to not know and to be secure in my relationship from that point forward.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It is possible to forgive yourself and make a better life but it's better when you are sober.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Contrary to poll results.
Wouldn't forgive myself too soon.
Best to pay a price
for not acting nice.
So as not to forget.

Repent fully before moving on.

Mountainman