Notices

Your current recovery reading?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your current recovery reading?

If you feel like it, could you post what you are currently reading in support of your recovery? (aside from SR, of course)

I just started reading "This Naked Mind" by Annie Grace (about 60 pages in).

Looks like it will be a good one and I'm hoping it will be effective.

It's along similar lines as Allen Carr's and Jason Vale's books, with more recent research cited and the additional approach of trying to change false beliefs about alcohol at the subconscious level, i.e., undermining the Addictive Voice at the foundation.

She mentions Dr. John E. Sarno's (Mindbody) work, so I imagine that dealing with buried emotional pain will also be part of her approach.

Anyway, what are you reading to support your recovery?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me i like reading books on experiences more than self help. I tried allen carr & just couldn't stay focused. I have read 'drinking, a love story'- Caroline Knapp ( AMAZING ) & ive almost finished 'The sober revolution, which is slightly more self help but still brilliant, happy reading!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am currently reading 'the Biology of Desire: Why Addiction is Not a Disease'. I think it's been worth the read. Also, thanks for the recommendation 'This Naked Mind', I hadn't heard of that one. I just ordered it off Amazon, it looks right up my alley.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm currently reading my third brene brown book 'the gifts of imperfection' I have also read rising strong & daring greatly by her

Gary Zukav's seat of the soul is a good book

Have you seen Anna's sticky on books or checked out the book forum ?
Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fight Club.

~Bunnez
Old 01-17-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been reading a lot of books written by Navy Seals recently. Sounds silly, but my alcoholism is my greatest enemy and I want to face it with the heart of a warrior. Just finished Resilence: Hard-Won Wisdom For A Better Life by Eric Greitens and highly recommend it! Right now I'm reading Extreme Ownership, written by two former Seal officers. It's about owning up to who you are and taking responsibility for your actions. One of its authors, Jocco Wilkinik, mottos is "discipline equals freedom".

I also read The Four Hour Body, trying to get healthy, and loved it.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This website.

I've read a lot of recovery books over the years, but nothing currently at the moment.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Recently, Under The Influence which details the physiology of alcoholism. I found it very enlightening and put me into action on issues in regards to the body part of our trifecta disease.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Does the SMART recovery work book count
Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by NewJosh View Post
I've been reading a lot of books written by Navy Seals recently. Sounds silly, but my alcoholism is my greatest enemy and I want to face it with the heart of a warrior. Just finished Resilence: Hard-Won Wisdom For A Better Life by Eric Greitens and highly recommend it! Right now I'm reading Extreme Ownership, written by two former Seal officers. It's about owning up to who you are and taking responsibility for your actions. One of its authors, Jocco Wilkinik, mottos is "discipline equals freedom".

I also read The Four Hour Body, trying to get healthy, and loved it.
This is how I see it, too. I'm taking back territory which is rightfully mine but has been under subjugation by the invading force of alcohol.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I'm reading Managing Your Recovery from Addiction: A Guide For Executives, Senior Managers, and Other Professionals, by David F. O'Connell PhD and Deborah Benvino PhD. It's action-oriented, with the goal of making progress in and eventually reclaiming all the areas of life that have been affected by this disease.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
...I've read a lot of recovery books over the years, but nothing currently at the moment...
I gotta go along with this. When I was new, I read them all, or at least all I could get (I still keep my hand in)...........nowadays, I'm more into mystery and adventure..........like...........: Robin Cook; James Patterson; Patricia Cornwell; Clive Cussler; etc. I do admit that my latest book was actually none of those----Black Mass (all about Whitey Bulger and the FBI and the deal that went on between them).

(o:
Old 01-17-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Every time you train, train with the motivation and purpose that you will be the hardest person someone ever tries to kill". That quote is from a Special Forces vet and he's talking about enemies on the battlefield, but I'm applying it to my life and my mental enemies and addiction. My battlefield is in my mind, and my alcoholism definitely wants me dead. But I'm going to make it hard.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As previously mentioned Anna's sticky is fantastic for ideas!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 01-17-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My current read is the Quran or Koran however you want to spell it. Not really specifically related to recovery I just wanted to see what's in it. Very hard for me to read cover to cover a lot like the Bible. No not converting I like pork too much