Notices

Anxiety and panic Attacks really bad..!!

Old 01-15-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and panic Attacks really bad..!!

21 days sober today anyone experience baddddd anxiety panic attacks?

Also is it from the toxins still coming out??

Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I had panic attack I think it's very common I've included some breathing exercises to help big congrats on 3 weeks sober

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - Anxiety Slayer

A breathing exercise that calms panic attacks.

Deep Breathing Instructions for Calming Panic
Old 01-15-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had a lot of anxiety for about a month after I got sober. But it got better the longer I stayed sober. Hang in there and don't drink, no matter what!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 21!!

It's still early days though, the body is still adjusting away from alcohol, if like me you drank for years, it's gonna take more than a few weeks for things to settle, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally!!

Hang in there, for me my anxiety eased with more time!!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Don't think it's connected to detoxing but am not a doctor. After 21 days you should be fully detoxed IMO. Did you suffer anxiety and panic attacks before you quit? It can be daunting when we first quit because we are no longer using alcohol or other drugs to suppress our feelings. When we quit we are left with the feelings but with nothing to keep them buried. That's when we have to start dealing with life and our feelings from within ourselves and the seeking of support through the range of services and support groups that now exist including staying close here at SR. If your panic and anxiety are too much for you to manage it would be good to see a doctor and avoid putting your sobriety at risk. Congratulations on 21 days : Me 26 days so we are in the same class. Stay connected as anxiety and panic are awful. My anxiety is easing the more I stay sober. We can do it.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had anxiety and panic attacks before I began drinking so I still have to deal with it. If you have not experienced it before, then chances are good that it will ease up as you continue to recover.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you so much!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im really looking forward to sobriety this time!

Im so done !

Yes I did have anxiety years ago pretty bad ER visits and such..

is it possible for the body to 'defrag' ?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

My anxiety was one of the aspects of myself that I was trying to turn down with my alcoholic self-medication. So, it's no surprise to me that it pops up in full force now that I'm sober again. Also, this time around, I have had mild, but noticeable hand tremors periodically, even four weeks in. Sometimes these symptoms stick around because they have become habitual in our nervous system. But, if anything feels really not right, see your doctor. The multitude of health conditions that we can develop from drinking and abusing drugs makes self-diagnosis extremely risky, and sometimes toughing it out just isn't worth the risk.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Anna I had anxiety to start with but it was really bad when I quit (sorry Steely I think it is part of many peoples detox...there's a physical and mental dependence component of addiction - take out the drug and anxiety will often ensue,)

Things got better, but because my condition was preexisting it took a while. I had some counselling help

Have you gotten a professional opinion about your anxiety ever?

D
Old 01-15-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on your days. You are doing great.

I had a doctors appointment today. Apparantly I'm having anxiety attacks and am clinically depressed. These are two problems that existed long before I started drinking. I self medicated with alcohol. They started me on zoloft and therapy. We will see what happens. Keep up the good work

Jennifer