Notices

Day 14

Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14

I have been lurking on and off here for a year or two. Last new year I was able to stop drinking for about 3 weeks and then relapsed. So I kind of have an idea of what I am feeling for now. Backstory.. I have been a very heavy drinker for the better part of 25 years. I have lost relationships, friends, and my health due to this lifestyle. I started with 12-24 beers a day and eventually switched to hard liquor on a nightly basis. Over the past year a typical day would involve 5-7 high abv beers, usually out with friends, but ending up going home and to drink about a half liter of vodka over the course of several hours. I would consider myself a highly functioning alcoholic though. Never late for work and no hangovers. Up at 6:30am every morning without an alarm. This is the routine body is used to. I switched to vodka because people could smell me when I would drink bourbon the following night. Never skipped a night of drinking and if I traveled for work or to visit family out of town, I would always bring my beloved vodka to drink for bed. I am now 14 days sober. By day 4-6, I have never had a worst headache in my life. Most of week 1 had some physical withdrawals but drank lots of water and vitamins which helped. Severe hunger during week three but not really a whole lot of cravings for alcohol. I remember week 3 from last year and that is when it will really kick in for me emotionally with cravings and my alcoholic voice. One day at a time and hoping for many days to come.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome NewTony
Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Really well done on 14 days, we all know how hard it is especially the first few days and weeks.
Good luck
xx
Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Newtonty!!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Newtonty, you won't regret joining and posting on this forum. Good people and lots of help and support here.