Notices

Dismissed

Old 01-15-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dismissed

Well today I had the result of a disciplinary hearing at work and have been dismissed as of today. Although I knew it would happen I had a little hope after my hearing on Wednesday. I was drunk on duty and was breathalysed so the result is not unexpected. I am heartbroken. I loved my job and am so angry at myself for not seeking help before. Finances will be a mess as my OH can't work due to disability and ill health.

Don't know what to do and need to resist the urge to pick up a drink just to blot everything out. Need to get to a meeting but there isn't one until tonight.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay close to here and read, go for a walk, call the AA hotline or there is an online chat I go to called AA Alive which I find very good after a lot of searching.

Play the tape through as you know what happens when you drink, I am sorry you lost your job, I did as well on Dec 23, a career I loved. I went on a binge Nov of last year stopped on Dec 11th, back to work that following Monday and was doing great however this was the second time in three years and because of the importance of my position and the problems I created, they decided they had to let me go, the risk simply too high for them and I understand.

Things get better if we have a plan and will go to any length to stay sober, something must be looking out for me as things are coming together so well, yes I have struggles still but I will not drink, I reach out.

Wishing you the best
Andrew
Old 01-15-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear what you are going through right now, must be really tough and scary. Drinking won't help for long my friend and will only make things much worse eventually. Can you try to do something positive today? Get an appointment for some advice?
xx
Old 01-15-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi, Toby. Sorry to hear of this. How long ago were you caught drunk at work?

I know how sad you must feel, and I can only say that sometimes we have to lose something dear to us to really light the fire under us to commit to sobriety. I hope and believe that if you get and stay on the sobriety train, it won't be long until you're looking back at this and seeing it as the best thing that ever happened to you.

Did you get to a meeting? What are your plans for today?
Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you don't drink. That would just make a bad situation worse.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by toby2159 View Post
I had the result of a disciplinary hearing at work and have been dismissed as of today.
They were wrong about you. So is your AV. Show them.

Show them all.

You are poised to write your next chapter. Make it glorious. Make it triumphant. Make it about a life well-lived.

You can do this!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind word. I was suspended on 23rd December so it has been a tough few weeks. I am on day 21 of sobriety and determined not to drink today. I need to start being practical and start looking at the job market but I only found out 2 hours ago and my head is all over the place. I keep crying and can't concentrate on anything at the moment. My son is here with me and being very supportive. My OH is worrying me as he is very upset and worried. The next meeting is in about 6 hours and I am counting down the time. Feel physically sick.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Toby, I'm so so sorry to hear this. You will get through this. You won't drink. You have 21 days sober behind you and have been doing great.

It's just happened and there's way too much going on for you right at the moment. Make it to the meeting, then wake up tomorrow - fresh and sober - and assess.

Strength to you.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Toby,

If you want to drink, read nonsensical's post.

You got this.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Toby, hang tough. I just got fired a few days ago due to a positive drug test. You are not alone. It s scary. But it is nothing that could not be made worse by me picking up a drink or a joint. My heart goes out to you. Hang tough for these few hours. You will not regret not drinking.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Addiction can be crazy sometimes "alcohol has led to this consequence in my life, I'm now feeling terrible, so I know what I'll do, let's have more alcohol" . . . it really does try to tie up all possibilities.

But we have to rise above that, we can draw a line under alcohol once and for all, you can push forward and write a new happier chapter to your life, new opportunities, new achievements, a future that isn't being underpinned and written by alcohol anymore!!

You can do this Toby!!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this happened, Toby.

Congratulations on your 21 days sober. Things will work out and as long as you stay sober, you will be okay.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
They were wrong about you. So is your AV. Show them.

Show them all.

You are poised to write your next chapter. Make it glorious. Make it triumphant. Make it about a life well-lived.

You can do this!
^^^^ This; every single word.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Only an hour to go before I setting off to an AA meeting. Just started visualising a vodka bottle so I am going to leave my purse at home and just take enough for Tradition 7 in my pocket.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Let this be your meeting while you cant hit one. We are all here for you.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Toby hope you have a good meeting really glad you posted check in later & congrats on day 21
Old 01-15-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ho Toby, bad deal all the way around. Alcohol put you in this situation, it certainly won't resolve it. A job has been lost, but a new opportunity awaits. And a big congratulations on your 21 days, that is excellent. Its proof positive you can live without alcohol every day.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just got back from my meeting and feeling wrung out, turned inside out and emotional. I have so many emotions and thoughts running through my head that it is deafening. Just read through some of your replies and am very grateful for your kindness and support.

When I walked into the meeting, people could see that I was struggling and approached me whilst I was getting a coffee before the meeting started. I explained that I had had a bad day to which the reply was 'Did you drink?' When I answered 'No' they all replied with 'Well, then it was a good day!' It kind of put things into perspective for me. YES it was a **** thing to do and YES it is going to extremely tough to find work but YES - I AM SOBER!!

I am grateful for still having my (damaged) family supporting me, SR, AA and my health. Taking it one day at a time.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One day at a time Toby...

Sorry about what has happened, but congrats on 21 days sober. You didn't pick up a drink today, that's a huge accomplishment. Keep it up, you are in control from here on out.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for what happened but you staying sober is really awesome to see Toby

D