Notices

So close to drinking

Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So close to drinking

Need to post and try and delay buying wine

Day 5 and just finished work- not sure j can get through Friday night without drinking ..gut is twisted, feel sick. Can't think of anything else. Not sure how I did this last time .

Had such a great day- felt positive .. Shows how quickly things can fall to s$$$
Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated
Old 01-15-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are a number of Friday night meetings where I reside, maybe where you are too? It doesn't hurt to be among others so you are not alone and with others who have the same goals in mind.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay on here and read the posts. Play the tape forward and remember how you feel the morning after. Picture yourself waking up hangover free. Weekends are my toughest time too, everyone is here for you.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
There are a number of Friday night meetings where I reside, maybe where you are too? It doesn't hurt to be among others so you are not alone and with others who have the same goals in mind.
I looked into meetings last night. Never been to one but no evening ones until tomorrow night
Old 01-15-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loopylou69 View Post
Stay on here and read the posts. Play the tape forward and remember how you feel the morning after. Picture yourself waking up hangover free. Weekends are my toughest time too, everyone is here for you.
Thanks i try- it's all consuming. Hate the fact I'm here again .
Old 01-15-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep busy, watch a movie or other hobbies to pass the time, plan what you are going to do at the weekend, get up early and do those things you had planned, I did that last weekend and it was a good feeling as I haven't really had a proper long weekend for a very long time. Stay positive, you can do this, we are here for you.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Nic,
the anxiety and the screwed up feeling is the fault of alcohol , not the fault of sobriety .
I found a shower used to help me , get something physical going on to get me out of my thoughts .
It's a pain but tomorrow morning you'll be thankful you didn't .

Sobriety is worthwhile and it get's better , otherwise i'd not be over 4 years sober , m
Old 01-15-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've called my mum up crying so we are going out to an alcohol free Chinese restaurant
Old 01-15-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nic - eventually Friday won't cause you any concern than any other night - I promise.

These are great effective ideas for cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I'm glad you have your mum on side - but maybe you need to think about a more detailed recovery plan to deal with Friday nights especially?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 01-15-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job for calling your Mom -- main thing to remember is that it will always be worse the next time.

Hang in there, you can do this.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there Nic!! You can do this!!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zigzagging View Post
Keep busy, watch a movie or other hobbies to pass the time, plan what you are going to do at the weekend, get up early and do those things you had planned, I did that last weekend and it was a good feeling as I haven't really had a proper long weekend for a very long time. Stay positive, you can do this, we are here for you.
Yes tonight was a shock to the system as I thought I was going great! Clearly not so!
I've made plans for tomorrow...dog to the groomers, shops for my boys to spend some Xmas money then an afternoon of board games( I'm usually too drunk to participate!)
Old 01-15-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Nic,
the anxiety and the screwed up feeling is the fault of alcohol , not the fault of sobriety .
I found a shower used to help me , get something physical going on to get me out of my thoughts .
It's a pain but tomorrow morning you'll be thankful you didn't .

Sobriety is worthwhile and it get's better , otherwise i'd not be over 4 years sober , m
Hi mecanix- I'm already glad that I didn't drink. It's almost 8pm, I have my pjs on and a hot chocolate on the table X
Old 01-15-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Need to post and try and delay buying wine

Day 5 and just finished work- not sure j can get through Friday night without drinking ..gut is twisted, feel sick. Can't think of anything else. Not sure how I did this last time .

Had such a great day- felt positive .. Shows how quickly things can fall to s$$$
Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated
You want suggestions or advice?

You don't want to drink but you're already not sure you can make it through Friday night?

TAKE ACTION - do something to get through Friday night.

Alcoholics Anonymous, Perth, Western Australia | AA 24 Hour Helpline (08) 9325 3566 or 1300 22 22 22

You don't have to be a victim to your addiction.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I looked into meetings last night. Never been to one but no evening ones until tomorrow night
looks like plenty of Friday evening meetings in Perth....
Old 01-15-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Nic - eventually Friday won't cause you any concern than any other night - I promise.

These are great effective ideas for cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I'm glad you have your mum on side - but maybe you need to think about a more detailed recovery plan to deal with Friday nights especially?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Thanks so much Dee! Will read these over and over. I do need to make solid plans so that I'm not caught off guard.. This time I mean it when I say I NEVER want to drink again.
I think I need to change my life up a bit. Change my habits. Change my routines, do more....
I'm going to screen shot these to refer back to so I can find them easily- still struggle finding my way around these forums lol x
Old 01-15-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks i try- it's all consuming. Hate the fact I'm here again .
We are glad you are here and are here to support you, don't hate the fact you are here, get after that addictive voice and put it in it's place.

In situations like this it's when someone that is a close friend that does not drink or is sober and understands comes into play at least in my plan. Although I am looking at changing my sponsor I would call him or other people that I have met in AA, I could go to online chat at AA Alive which I enjoy, post here, do some reading, as mentioned in many posts I would go for a walk (even though it's -17 here this morning I still went). AA even has a hotline here, they will send two people to my house right away and I did that twice my first week of recovery as it was hellish even though I had meds and I refused to give it so I reached out and here I am today, grateful, sober and going on five weeks.

The bottom line is I went to any length to get my booze, now things have changed and changed for life, I will go to any length to stay sober and every morning and night I am thankful for my sobriety and the work I have done and am doing to keep it that way.

Wishing you the best
Andrew
Old 01-15-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Friday nights used to make me squirrely but now they generally do not...the reason is that I did whatever I needed to do to get through the evening without drinking. The more Friday nights I was able to tuck away without drinking is what makes it easier. We HAVE to break the cycle that we created with our drinking habits. We NEED to find new alternatives. You are doing AWESOME coming on here to find support. It is so not worth drinking and having to go over the b.s. over and over in dealing with the negative consequences that our drinking always creates. I'm so glad to have that nonsense out of my life!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
looks like plenty of Friday evening meetings in Perth....
I actually live an hour out of Perth... I am not going to drink tonight and I will go to tomorrow nights meeting...
Thanks for the info- I really appreciate it. That's not the same page I found
Old 01-15-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
We are glad you are here and are here to support you, don't hate the fact you are here, get after that addictive voice and put it in it's place.

In situations like this it's when someone that is a close friend that does not drink or is sober and understands comes into play at least in my plan. Although I am looking at changing my sponsor I would call him or other people that I have met in AA, I could go to online chat at AA Alive which I enjoy, post here, do some reading, as mentioned in many posts I would go for a walk (even though it's -17 here this morning I still went). AA even has a hotline here, they will send two people to my house right away and I did that twice my first week of recovery as it was hellish even though I had meds and I refused to give it so I reached out and here I am today, grateful, sober and going on five weeks.

The bottom line is I went to any length to get my booze, now things have changed and changed for life, I will go to any length to stay sober and every morning and night I am thankful for my sobriety and the work I have done and am doing to keep it that way.

Wishing you the best
Andrew
Thank you so much Andrew.. I'm learning a lot here.. I will work harder to stay sober..