Notices

New here, can anyone relate to these problems I'm having?

Old 01-14-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, can anyone relate to these problems I'm having?

Hello everyone I'm a new member to this site and I've been thinking about going sober for some time now but I had a couple of things I wanted to discuss first.

Firstly, I wanted to know if anyone experiences the same effects as I do when I drink. For some time now I've been experiencing brain fog where my head feels cloudy, my memory is terrible and I can't concentrate. Watching tv shows, reading, conversation...ill be quite fuzzy on all the details. Drinking seems to make this worse, particularly beer. One beer is enough to cloud my mind. It'll also make me very tired.

Secondly, I'm having digestion problems, and sorry to be gross, but problems with my BM's too. I get bloating and gas and generally feel uncomfortable after eating and I'll sometimes be constipated or feel like my BM was incomplete. It ends up making me irritable.

I've wondered if I could have a possible food intolerance or something like that causing these problems or if I'm just denying that alcohol is in fact the sole cause. Needless to say both these things are making me miserable and even antisocial - I can't function feeling this way. Has anyone experienced these problems? Did sobriety address the issue?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think BM problems are alcohol related. I have definitely "functioned" better in terms of digestion during times of sobriety than heavy drinking. I have a lot of brain fog and fuzz after many days in a row of drinking or one very heavy night. Everything I have heard and read suggests that brain fog improves with sobriety... I feel a lot clearer if I abstain even for a week
Old 01-14-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Yes, I developed a food intolerance during my drinking days which is taking a little while to clear up but it is gradually improving. And yep, the BMs were also affected.

Also, the brain fog starts to clear after getting off the drink.

I feel much better even after a short period of abstinence, so much better in fact that I have no plans to resume drinking.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. A lot of my health problems cleared up when I got sober for good.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jase

I had stuff very much like that - and it all cleared up with a little sober time

Of course I'm not a Dr and you should go get checked out if you're concerned

D
Glad to have you here

D
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaseInSpace View Post
or feel like my BM was incomplete.
Hi Jase & Welcome
It may be the alcohol however, just to be on the safe side if what you say in the statement above doesn't stop soon, I would recommend seeing a doctor.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doctor is a good idea, but if it even crossed your mind that it was the booze, that should tell you something.

Sober is the new black.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum JaseInSpace!!

For me alcohol eventually stopped working, I was in a constant haze during my days, and the physical problems seemed to be multiplying.

Sobreity though changed and cleared all of those things up!!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you get sober, you start to make better informed choices about lots of things including things like diet, which can have an impact on your digestion. It's not something you give too much thought to when you're drinking a lot.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jase
Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, as others have said, go to the docs if you're worried. BUT, I bet you see lots of improvement all round if you stay sober for even a few weeks.
Hope you feel better soon.
xx
Old 01-15-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

When I quit drinking I couldn't even find my way TO MY HOUSE. I forgot how to get onto the Mass Turnpike! That is how FOGGY my head was from the drink!

And the IBS - Yep! Booze sh*ts! Totally can relate to that.

Sobriety is worth it! I feel so much better!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Agree with all the others.

Think about the reasons you sought out this forum to get feedback on your digestive issues. Do you think drink is a big factor?

If it was me, I would abstain completely from all alcohol, and see what clears up. (And also see my doctor.)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

JaseinSpace, alcohol messes up the entire physiology of the human body. No symptom would surprise me. I've had some pretty extreme things occur. Mostly while sobering up, not getting drunk. But like others have mentioned, all of it levels out with some sober time.