Notices

Skiing With the Guys

Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Skiing With the Guys

I'm posting this to strengthen my sober muscles.

I'm in Colorado with three other guys. One I sort of know and two I've met for the first time. I used to love a few beers after a day of skiing. So skiing is definitely a trigger. And we'll be going out to dinner and the others will drink. To make matters worse one of the guys just got back from buying some pot, it's legal here.

But this trip will be different from past trips. No alcohol or drugs!

One good thing is we're all older guys, late 50's, early 60's. The good thing of getting older is peer pressure isn't as strong as when you're younger. You just don't care so much about that stuff.

I'm not very worried, but posting this will just help me stay honest.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay strong! Order some good food and desert! You can do this!
Old 01-14-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish you well and hope you enjoy your ski vacation.

I definitely agree with you about the lack of peer pressure as we get older. I'm staring 58 in the face and there's just none of that stuff.

Enjoy the slopes!
Old 01-14-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a tricky situation to put yourself in. I'm glad you're feeling confident and I hope you enjoy the skiing.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi JD. Welcome to colorful Colorado! You might have noticed the dominant color right now is white.

I agree about peer pressure. At some point, I guess we stop worrying about what peers think. I'm 55.

Thanks for posting. I bet you have no problem not drinking tonight. You sound really good.

Be safe out there, as you strap two boards to your feet and barrel down a hill at 70 mph.

Have a good time.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All I care about at my age (close to yours) is not breaking bones.

So, don't break any bones!! That would be the worst!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
All I care about at my age (close to yours) is not breaking bones. So, don't break any bones!! That would be the worst!
But not as bad as drinking! Lol
Old 01-14-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

PS, I just realized, today marks 4 months sober. My last drink was the 14th of September. No way I'm going back to a day 1.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months JD
Old 01-14-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
PS, I just realized, today marks 4 months sober. My last drink was the 14th of September. No way I'm going back to a day 1.
That's great! We are going snowboarding in a month. Last year when we went all I did was drink. I'm not much into snowboarding anyway, but I could've at least tagged along and explored. This time will be different for me.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hang in there, JD! You will feel great in the morning....enjoying a good breakfast and early run on the slopes!
Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been in that situation many times, having dinner or being involved in a social activity where everyone else was drinking. I would suggest getting some N/A beverage besides water, like sprite with a lime or tonic with a lemon... for some reason, that always feels like more armor than a glass of water. It sounds silly, but if it keeps you from having alcohol, it's worth it! I start the night with "I am not drinking, I am just going to have a Shirley Temple" so that I don't get questioned about it. That keeps me honest and just sets the tone. I feel like if I don't say that off the bat, and someone suggests "just one," it is harder for me to say no - not to the peer pressure, but to myself. Of course, the alcoholic worries more about what he or she is drinking than anyone else at the table. When people have told me in the past that they weren't drinking, I am more envious/jealous than anything else, and wouldn't dream of asking any more questions. For most of my life when I have tried being sober, I have lied and said "Oh, I can't tonight, new medication," just so that if I wanted to drink in the future around that person, I could. I am just now finally starting to say "I don't drink anymore," so that it's final, and there's no taking it back!
Old 01-14-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

" I used to love a few beers after a day of skiing"

question is, do you still want that? I used to love a few beers after making it home from work(not a feat at all).

These days at 43 years of age the last thing I would want is alcohol after a vigorous day. There is tomorrow's activities to consider

I not only miss being younger, but I miss not knowing better back then lol
Old 01-14-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good post, man. I am living down here in Guatemala and just turned 40 years old. I have a younger buddy (we used to be drinking pals) who is down here visiting. I am not worried that I'll drink, but I do find it helpful to hear that someone else is also having a "guys weekend" and won't drink. Just like me! You can do it man, you'll make it through. Stay the course.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
I'm posting this to strengthen my sober muscles.

I'm in Colorado with three other guys. One I sort of know and two I've met for the first time. I used to love a few beers after a day of skiing. So skiing is definitely a trigger. And we'll be going out to dinner and the others will drink. To make matters worse one of the guys just got back from buying some pot, it's legal here.

But this trip will be different from past trips. No alcohol or drugs!

One good thing is we're all older guys, late 50's, early 60's. The good thing of getting older is peer pressure isn't as strong as when you're younger. You just don't care so much about that stuff.

I'm not very worried, but posting this will just help me stay honest.
Ah, that would be a huge trigger for me, but you can do this! I always thought I skied better after a few beers in the lodge during lunch. But I don't know...I haven't skied sober and a very loooong time...Yeah, getting older does come with benefits, nice positive thought there!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"Yeah, getting older does come with benefits", yep. I've learned how do to that look. Chin down a bit, eyebrows up, slight smile and look them right in the eyes. Seems to answer questions better than profanity ever did.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep strong buddy
Old 01-15-2016, 12:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Skiing is a big booze fest so I think its natural to worry, and good you are on guard.

But sounds like you will be fine.

Be careful.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I too am having a weekend with friends (a girls weekend, not guys, and at the beach, not a ski trip) and am the only one not drinking. We can do this! All my friends know I don't drink so I'm getting no pressure, but it certainly can feel like a disappointment when they brought in some wine and good beer. I got myself some ginger beer and sparkling water, yum!

Stay strong!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope it all goes well, remember to enjoy yourself and be a "non drinker"!!

You can do this!!