Notices

What kind of sponsor do you have?

Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Curious to hear about others' experiences.

I have a Big Book Sponsor (Hyannis Method). She's been sober 39 years. She's very strict with me but that is good because I need it.

She has me reading pages 84-88 out of the big book each morning, then reciting the 3rd and 7th step prayers, and 20 minutes of meditation.

I call her every morning at 7:15am sharp.

I run any "ideas" I have by her. Usually she tells me she's going to smack me and that my ideas are crap and to shut up and follow her directions.

I have to attend 4 meetings a week - two must be big book meetings.

I'm writing my 4th step right now.

I have to do something nice for someone and not get found out - on a daily basis.

When I'm antsy she tells me to scrub a toilet or do the dishes. She's not a "bubble bath sponsor" - she'll tell me to stop my self pity and get out of my head and go help someone but she'd never tell me to take a hot bath, order chinese, and get my nails done lol.

She's saved my a$$ so many times. I'd be lost without her.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well the one I have right now is 19 years in, great guy but I took him on as temp and glad I did as it's not going so well for me in this case.

I am not a believer AA is the only way and I have some issues with certain steps and he has an issue with me reading or following other programs. In life I personally do not put all my eggs in one basket, I am using resources from 9 different places to beat this sickness and what I am doing is working for me and my addictions counselor and physiologist support my plan.

I want to learn and get better not lock horns, I really do not have the time or energy for that so I will be making a decision very soon on how to handle that situation.

Andrew
Old 01-13-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Before I relapsed I had 4 sponsor. Now I only have 1 of the 4. 1 moved, 1 is using, 1 wont talk to me along with the one that moved wont talk to me aswell. He is a truck driver. 13 years sober, relapsed and has another 13 years under his belt despite his month relapse would be 26 years. He sponsors people with 35 years sobriety anywhere between. He sponsors me because he can relate to my story. He wants me to write 30 things im powerless about , 30 things unmanageable, and definitions of powerless and unmanageable. when i do that he says Ill have done 3 steps. I have yet to start. I talk to him every other day. Hes a talker. Unless I am in dire need he talks about how great his life is which makes me hesitate to talk. Hes a good guy. He helps at some things. He tries to find me every 4 or so days because he knows Im pretty suicidal. He tolerates me tho so thats all i can ask.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your sponsor Bunny really sounds like a great person to have in your recovery!!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats