Probuphine implant

Old 01-13-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Probuphine implant

Curious to see if anyone has a loved one who used this implant? I'm very familiar with naltrexone and vivitrol, but this is the first I'm reading of an implant?

Can The Probuphine Implant Make A Difference In Treating Addiction?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, didnt see this article.

Dont know about it personally but medications have been a game changer. The stats speak for tmselves so I think this is great news to have another addition to whats currently available.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnonWife View Post
Thanks for sharing, didnt see this article.

Dont know about it personally but medications have been a game changer. The stats speak for tmselves so I think this is great news to have another addition to whats currently available.
Absolutely, 88% stayed off opiates. That's pretty incredible.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
So how does this help us with our own recoveries from dealing with an addicted loved one?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
So how does this help us with our own recoveries from dealing with an addicted loved one?
Well Zoso, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is an open forum/and if I wanted to share something that may help someone gain more knowledge or insight on treatments for their loved ones, it would be of value.

This article for me is a symbol of hope, 88% is a pretty incredible statistic, (wow, some people can recover! Don't lose hope for your loved ones) I'm sure others on this forum can agree.

Not everything everyone posts here needs to be confined to whatever "standard" has been implemented about "our recovery."

I wanted to share an article here, it discusses an epidemic we are all clearly trying to cope with, "recover from," learn about, etc.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

everyone thought the same thing for Suboxene and Subutex....game changer, eradicate addiction once and for all! because everyone wants the magic PILL.........

so the clinical trial followed the participants for six months after insertion of the device....which also lasts for six months. but then what? at some point addicts have to learn to stay sober on their own....unless they want to be shuffling off to the methadone clinic for the rest of their lives.

there is no cure. there are only tools that can greatly help those that truly want help. and it can give those who aren't sure a chance to decide. but we should be cautious on coronating THE CURE.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Open to all who love someone who is addicted to drugs, whether they have admitted a problem or not. Discuss coping tools, and learn basic recovery techniques for you, not the addict.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

THANK YOU. This can be EXTREMELY useful to recovering addicts and the parents/loved ones dealing with one attempting and failing to get sober.
88% gives me such hope.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Another promising tool for those that really have to want recovery. It has no street value and cannot be traded or sold- good things. The only immediate downside I see is if they want to get high they have to cut the implant out which could lead to different medical consequences.

Edited to add:
Before getting all excited about the 88%, which would be incredible. The 88% is that for 2 of the 6 months after the trials they did not use opiates and that they were either drug tested or self-reported.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
HPL,

It is an open forum, and I certainly value articles like you provided and am grateful that you did. But you also sidestep my question.

We have recently seen stories here at FFSA, for example, from women whose husbands have been in recovery for a year or two, and yet these same women have not recovered themselves from their ordeals. Just because our loved one is abstaining from using does not necessarily mean everything is suddenly all better.

It is also true that we can find a measure of recovery and peace even if our loved one is still using and/or is lost to us. My favorite example is that of Ann's. She does not currently know the whereabouts of her son and whether or not he's dead or alive. And yet, after being brought to her knees by that ordeal, she's recovered and has made peace with the fact her son is lost to her.

Speaking from my own experience, my AXGF was an opioid addict and a Borderline Personality. Let's say for the sake of argument she was given an implant. How would that alleviate the cognitive mayhem that is going on between her ears? In cases such as this, the 88% success rate is meaningless because it only addresses whether or not the addict picks up again. There is no pill for BPD.

This is a long way of saying that our own recoveries do not have to be and should not be a function of whether or not the addict in our lives is using or not. And these pages are full of anecdotal evidence that supports that observation. You, of course, are free to follow whatever program that suits your needs and what helps you, and I encourage that. What I'm simply doing is using our "open forum" to present another point-of-view.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
The 88% is that for 2 of the 6 months...
Sorry, that should have said no more than 2 of the 6 months
Old 01-13-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Open to all who love someone who is addicted to drugs, whether they have admitted a problem or not. Discuss coping tools, and learn basic recovery techniques for you, not the addict.
Anna, if you feel that the thread is unnecessary or violates any "rules" or protocol on this forum, please feel free to delete it.

The intention of posting the article was not to start a debate on how to handle our own personal situations. It was merely sharing an article some may find interesting/knowledgeable.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope,

I dont think we can make good decisions or learn to put things in perspective and cope with or feelings and devise plans IF we arent educated on addiction. The use of these types of meds has made a lot of difference and its part of a recommended treatment plan in most cases. On another thread we were discussing the govt and NIDA with the help of others in the medical profession have set standards and recommendations for treatment. Did you know on their site, they actually do use the word "cure" and for others learn to live healthy lives and manage a chronic condition. How is this type of information not important to family members so they can make educated, not emotional decisions?
Old 01-13-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good article. I am a believer though that there is just no miracle cure. None. They have to want to be sober with every single part of their being. Otherwise, all of this is a waste. My AH is a heroin addict. I have been on this forum for like 2 years I think. I have made zero progress with him - zero. I am in exact same spot I was when I came here. My fault though AH is currently on Vivitrol. He figured out that at the end of the month he can do suboxone and smoke crack at any point. So that's what he is doing. Crack was never his DOC btw. I am sure if we got AH an implant he will figure out some way to stick some sort of opiate up his behind and double up on crack. If there is a will, there is a way. And believe me, addicts have a will out of this world when it comes to their drugs
Old 01-13-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

...nothing about education or the addict.
The In The News Forum can be used to discuss educational articles.

And, the Substance Abuse Forum is for addiction, substance abusers, and their recoveries.

There are many sites out there that are anything addiction sites, there are some that are only addict, some that are only family, some that are program based, some that are specific drug related (Crack, Meth, etc.), some that teach how to do more drugs better. Not every site is all things for all people.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ok, no place for family to discuss topics alone, makes sense.

The newcomer section might be another place. Its got a lot of different discussions.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Ok, no place for family to discuss topics alone, makes sense.

The newcomer section might be another place. Its got a lot of different discussions.
Not sure, I've never been there. But, it clearly states No Medical Advice.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing the article. Information like this is helpful; the problems start when members try to push their own agendas and play let's debate recovery method games. Because we have been seeing a lot of this recently, I think the leashes get shortened so that our volunteers don't have to spend time babysitting adults instead of offering support to our members. I have an open mind and usually pretty unlimited patience, but some of the members are really testing both.

It would be nice if we could just stick to sharing our experiences instead of the picking.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greeteachday View Post
Thanks for sharing the article. Information like this is helpful; the problems start when members try to push their own agendas and play let's debate recovery method games. Because we have been seeing a lot of this recently, I think the leashes get shortened so that our volunteers don't have to spend time babysitting adults instead of offering support to our members. I have an open mind and usually pretty unlimited patience, but some of the members are really testing both.

It would be nice if we could just stick to sharing our experiences instead of the picking.
Thank you Greeteachday, my intent was to be helpful.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Always good for the friends and family to be up to speed on the options. Knowledge is power, power to our own recovery. We don't need to be so black and white. There is an ignore feature or the option to not take part in a thread that doesn't meet your liking. Also the moderators have the ability to move a thread to the proper area if it's really a big deal. Whew Saw!!!!!!!!!

Opiates can take longer than other substances to put the tools from recovery into full action and re-wiring of brain paths. It's not cured but gives the addict and family hope to prolong recovery to be able to have the lifestyle changes really in motion/use. My late husband used suboxone, it was great for the few months he needed to get fully out of the bad habits and into the new healthy ways.

Thanks for sharing.