Notices

Checking in

Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hey. I want to stay accountable so I'm checking in on Day 8. Hitting one week felt amazing. My body and mind are feeling better than they have been in years. At some points during the day it's so easy for me to see maintaining this lifestyle, and at other times...(I've been having some random, out of nowhere LOWS - is this normal?) ...I don't see the point in sobriety and it takes everything not to open up a bottle of wine. I've persevered so far!

Does anyone else ever feel that way? Like..what is the point of this? This is stupid. How do you overcome it?

Side note, exercise has helped with cravings.

Anyways, that's all for now! I come here at least twice a day for motivation, so thank you all!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal in early recovery for your feelings to be all over the place. It will settle down with more sober time. Congrats on 8 days sober!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you will have to see the point to sobriety if it's going to work for you long-term. Why not make a list of things that sobriety could bring to your life?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sobriety is not the easiest path but active addiction ends being a more miserable path....
Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Normal, as I say here often some of us took years to get this sick, recovery is going to take some time but it does get better and easier to cope with. Are you following any type of plan, have someone you can call when you are low? Exercise to me is critical in recovery, for me its walking or hiking and I don't really care what the weather is, we had a big snow storm over night, that did not stop me from going for my morning walk with my dog who loves fresh snow, 13" of it

Hang in there and hang in here, we are here to support you to the best of our abilities and experiences.

Andrew
Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Seep9871 View Post
Hey. I want to stay accountable so I'm checking in on Day 8. Hitting one week felt amazing. My body and mind are feeling better than they have been in years. At some points during the day it's so easy for me to see maintaining this lifestyle, and at other times...(I've been having some random, out of nowhere LOWS - is this normal?) ...I don't see the point in sobriety and it takes everything not to open up a bottle of wine. I've persevered so far!

Does anyone else ever feel that way? Like..what is the point of this? This is stupid. How do you overcome it?

Side note, exercise has helped with cravings.

Anyways, that's all for now! I come here at least twice a day for motivation, so thank you all!
I've had lows, and I've had the Addict Voice talking to me sometimes. I've guarded my sobriety by keeping my eye on the ball and sticking to one element of my plan: using support groups, either AA or here at SR, to get my head back into the right space, as well as a bud with 28 years of sobriety who has told me to call whenever I need it (which kindness I haven't had to use yet).

I've come to realize that for myself, I drank to mitigate the extremes of emotion, so that if my highs weren't all that high, my lows were never that low. I've found that sober, my emotions are more intense, and finding ways to learn how to deal with them and not fail in my sobriety is going to be a task I have to define and pursue as well. It becomes a part of my recovery.

It seems to me that recovery is as important as sobriety itself. Fixing the underlying issues that led us to where we are would seem to make maintaining sobriety that much easier.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 8
Old 01-13-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 8 is fantastic Seep!! Keep it going!!