Notices

Detox

Old 01-13-2016, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox

Hi everyone,

(I tried to post this in another thread but it didn't seem to work. Not sure it's really medical advise anyway; just slight opinion. Feel free to move if not applicable for this forum)

I know there have been threads about this that I randomly encountered on google searches. However, I was hoping to get some info more specific to myself. As I sit with no sleep immediately evident, I'm 100% sure I want to go to the hospital tomorrow and begin a medical detox. I've been so worried about my career that I haven't done this in the past, but I don't care at all anymore. I know I can't quit drinking on my own (tapering, etc.) and I'm pretty sure my boss will understand if I'm straight up about it.

Background: I've been an alcoholic for years, closer to decades than merely years. I drink a ton, daily. For the last few months, it's been drinking just to maintain. I get nothing from it - 18 beers a day starting when I wake up is normal as of the last week. Withdrawal is awful. I've hallucinated, sweated ridiculously, had horrible heart palpitations, extreme anxiety, etc. etc.

My question is, how long would someone like me typically expect to spend in detox at the local hospital? Can they help me or am I too far gone? I understand that the road to treatment and sobriety is a bigger burden and I really (honestly) don't want this anymore, ever. I'm done. I'm willing to do the work. Just want to tell my boss when to realistically expect me back, if ever.

Thank you in advance.

Z
Old 01-13-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Zeebs, good to have you here and we're glad you're ready to address this issue which has become a problem for you. Of course, getting sober is the only way to save your career in the long term so you're right to put it as a top priority.

We're not doctors but your plan to get professional medical help sounds the correct thing to do at this stage. Is there any support we can offer in that regard? Can we help to keep you accountable to going ahead and getting that help without getting drunk and giving up on the plan?

We're here to help if we can because we know what you're going through and we're confident we can beat this thing.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, please keep me accountable, thank you! I plan to explain that my appendix burst or tell the real story tomorrow. Hoping there won't be a big issue..
Old 01-13-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

It sounds like a medical detox is you're best option. I think they are typically 3 to 5 days. Make an appointment with your dr. Detox is rough, but the real work starts after detox to maintain sobriety. You don't want to have to go through the detox again. So start putting a plan in place on how you'll maintain sobriety.

Edit, see this.http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tml?styleid=93
Old 01-13-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi zeebs. It sounds like you are drinking a lot, so going to seek medical advice/help is the sensible thing to do. As for how long, they will tell you that I'm sure. Keep us posted. We are all here to support you.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Having been in Detox far too many times, where I live it's 5 to 10 days with the option to then take the 28 day in patient Intensive Treatment Program. The shortest I have stayed was 3 days and that is only because they had a massive back log so I just showed up and pleaded, honestly it wasn't long enough in my case and due to the DT's I went right back to drinking.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think the detox process is about 5 to 7 days. It was for me anyway.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Zeebs

Hopefully you are heading to the hospital soon. Great choice and you won't regret that.

I can tell you my experience. I have gone to the ER several times..more than several, over the past 10 years. Depending on my state 3 things happened. They kept me for a few hours, hydrated me through IV, gave me IV meds, sent me home with a prescription to detox at home. I have been admitted to the hospital twice because I was in bad shape. Kept for 48 hours, referred to detox facility and given a prescription to tied me over. Then spent 2-4 days in detox facility. All in all I have never taken more than 7 days to detox....but that didn't mean I was feeling like a million bucks. Just meant I was out of danger of other complications.

Good luck and keep posting.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I'm in the state of New York, USA. Here, the period of detox is largely influenced by what insurance will cover. I've been in detox twice, once for 3 days and once for 5 days. Just long enough to see me out of the danger zone. When I was released, I was still shaking and craving.

Ask the facility you're entering for a "worst case scenario" you can tell your boss.

Also, be really proactive about what your plan is for when you're released. If you're like me, you may still be having symptoms and cravings. You may need to do an inpatient program for a little while just to get some time under your belt.

In any case, make sure you follow through on this step and get into the detox.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, great info. I'll keep ya'll posted - AL brings up an interesting point, hopefully there's a spot for me. Didn't really take that into account, figured you just go to the ER and they throw you in detox,
Old 01-13-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Zeebs,

Good luck today with your doctor/hospital visit.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeebs View Post
Thanks everyone, great info. I'll keep ya'll posted - AL brings up an interesting point, hopefully there's a spot for me. Didn't really take that into account, figured you just go to the ER and they throw you in detox,
The ER should treat you. They may not keep you long (which is better for insurance/cost purposes) but I doubt they will turn you away.

There are so many treatment/detox facilities now that you should be able to get in....that's assuming you have insurance and can pay. The low cost/no cost places are tougher and may require you wait for a bed to open.

Don't let uncertainty stop you. The ER is a good place to start.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Zeebs!!

You can do this, draw a line under alcohol for the last time and make Sobriety happen!!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Zeebs
Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quick update: I did indeed take myself to the ER an hour or two after posting the other morning. The doctor thought I would withdrawal hard and I was admitted. I won't share what I was given or how often but actually doing it (voluntarily seeking help) caused some unearthly anxiety among other things. Hope this might help someone else scared about detox; it's not that bad and a hell of a lot better than what I was going through. Now comes the hard part once I'm discharged. I'll try and keep actively posting.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am glad you did this. Lots of times we tell people here, "Just pour it out and stop." But if you are maintenance drinking, this can be very dangerous.

The ER was exactly the right move. Once you are detoxed, PLEASE don't undo the progress, and start a program right away. If you resume drinking, you will have to go through the process all over again, and it could be worse.

So, this isn't an oil change or tune up; it is a way to get your body and head in shape to tackle the hard part. (But also the great part, as you start getting your life back.)

Keep us posted, and so glad you got some medical help.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job seeking medical help Zeebs rootin for you
Old 01-15-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to hear zeebs, keep us posted man. You were in deep. Wishing you the very best buddy.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm glad you went and that you were admitted. I've done hospital monitored detox twice now. Honestly, it wasn't bad at all. A far better experience than how awful I felt trying to detox on my own. I was strictly maintenance drinking at the end. In detox I felt safe.

Thanks for coming to share your experience. Stick with support when you get out.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I'm glad you went for some medical help with the detox. In my experience I stayed about 3 days and since the weekend was involved, I only missed one day of work.

After the medical detox, staying sober is the challenge. An Intensive Out-Patient program might be useful, although it wasn't for me. In the IOP program I attended most of the people were court ordered with serious drug problems. I was just a "garden variety alcoholic." Knowing that AA was going to be recommended after the IOP, I dropped out of the IOP and went straight to AA. That was a good decision on my part and I've been sober ever since.