Notices

Liver pain

Old 01-12-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver pain

Hoping someone with some sobriety can answer this question as I'm going out of my mind with worry right now. As a survivor of child sexual abuse I continued to abuse myself as an adult by drinking to numb the pain. My liver starting hurting a few years ago when I would drink a lot but always quit hurting when I would stop drinking for awhile. I had liver pain worse than I ever had in my life last October and finally quit for good. It is now January 12, and my liver is still hurting off and on. Not as badly but twinging. My liver enzymes are still a little high at the doctor last week but he didn't order a sonogram or anything. Probably because I don't have health insurance and it was just a clinic. Has anyone else had this pain after three months of sobriety and does it go away?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not. But, I would guess that a Dr. doesn't want to get sued and probably has a conscience so he would order a test if there was any chance it was needed - regardless of your insurance situation.
Just to relieve any concern, you might go back and directly address that.
Congrats on your 3 months!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I would strongly suggest that you go back to the doctor and ask to be checked for anything that could possibly give a person persistent liver pain. It could be a serious situation that is not so serious if you catch it now. Or it could even be something as simple as an allergy to a food or a supplement. Either way, your doctor is the person to be asking this question.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Liver pain is what led me to quit. I had the same thing. Reoccurred once or twice for a couple days. Liver checks out fine. Keep your checkups, eat food that isn't too taxing on the liver. Keep stress out of your life and you'll be fine.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's good you're not ignoring this pain. Pain is a SIGNAL. And, a lot of people blow it off and ignore it until it becomes unbearable. Don't put it off. Get in to your Dr. and tell him/her about this pain. Awesome job on your sobriety. You've been doing yourself a huge favor there! And, I understand about emotional pain and trying to numb it.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Roy - if you have pain and your regular Dr seems not worried , but you are...why not get a second opinion?

D
Old 01-12-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Just curious roy, what state or country are you in? I ask because someone here might have information about how to obtain better medical care even though you don't have health insurance.

I agree that if you are worried you should get a second opinion.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nothing to add re the liver pains, but just wanted to say congratulations on your 3 months Roy. (Are you getting any support re your childhood experiences? Many people (male and female) find that CoDa has really helped them to find some peace about their past experiences, and relieve the need to less healthy relief from that emotional pain.)
Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had liver pain for a few years and continued drinking. My enzymes were between two and three times the limit. High. I stopped drinking and have not had a drink in 19 months. It's weird I have the liver pains on and off for an entire year after I stopped drinking.

Then, as luck would have it, I started having symptoms of gallstones and my doctor ordered a complete CT scan of my upper abdomen. Even though I was sober for 19 months before the CT scan it scared the living daylights out of me. I was trembling with fear.

I also had complete blood work done.

The physician who read the CT scan had no idea about my history of alcoholism. They did not have my medical record. They didn't even ask so I just figured I would let them tell me what was going on in my body without any more information.

The liver was completely normal. So normal in fact he didn't even mention it on the detailed report of my insides. And wouldn't you know I didn't even have gallstones.

My liver was seriously damaged but it was temporary and it does regenerate with time and complete abstinence.

Thank goodness you're stopping now before your enzymes got really high.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Roy!!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Roy
Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Roy, some time back I had a pain in the liver region. My doctor being a close friend and knowing my drinking habits assured me he didn't think it was liver but to assure me he sent me off for CT scan and an MRI. All proved fruitless, thank God!
Turns out, I was so worried about my drinking that I was getting the pain due to stress.
I don't know much about the insurance side of things but if you can swing it, get the scans done for your own peace of mind. As Dee says get a second opinion if you are not satisfied with your doctor.
Well done on your sobriety.
JS
Old 01-14-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Roy. I do hope the pain subsides soon. Eating healthy foods will give you some relief too, in my opinion. Are you going to go back to the dr?