Notices

Talk me down

Old 01-12-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talk me down

I am on day 7 and up until now I have been doing great. But our company is gone, DH is back at work and I am all alone in a quiet house again. There is an opened bottle of wine in the kitchen and My AV is killing me right now. I even went to the store and didn't even look at the wine there, picked up tons of veggies and was going to make a soup today. As soon as I got home that all too familiar feeling crept back, telling me to do my usual and drink some wine and eat all the junk left from DHs bday (cake, cake and more cake). I hate this feeling and want to get through it. Going to keep visiting this site until it goes away. Will it go away?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good of you to post first, before the urge takes over. And congrats on seven days. Awesome accomplishment. Don't ruin it by going back to day one and having to go through the withdrawal process again.

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
There is an opened bottle of wine in the kitchen and My AV is killing me right now.
Dump it. Now. You will feel victorious doing so. And even if you don't, the wine will be gone down the drain as opposed to your throat.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Good of you to post first, before the urge takes over. And congrats on seven days. Awesome accomplishment. Don't ruin it by going back to day one and having to go through the withdrawal process again. Dump it. Now. You will feel victorious doing so. And even if you don't, the wine will be gone down the drain as opposed to your throat.
Thank you. Decided to just eat what I want instead of trying to start a new diet today. Not going to drink. That wine is DHs but I might dump it anyway.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dump it anyway. He might believe you're serious if you don't allow alcohol to be left out.

You can always text him that you did it, and offer to pay him for the part that was "lost." Then he can get over it before he sees you again.
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take the temptation away and take control, dump it out. You are working very hard and I follow your progress, put your AV in it's place I encourage you as you are in control. Remember too you are still early in recovery and still fragile, stay focused and the rewards come as we grow stronger, that is my experience.

Heart is with you as you get through this

Andrew
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dump it! Day 5 here after giving into the AV in December after 3 weeks sobriety. It takes only 1 drink to flip the switch!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Dump it anyway. He might believe you're serious if you don't allow alcohol to be left out.
He's seen me do that so many times before but you are right. I should. He doesn't drink on tuesday nights anyway so he shouldn't be mad.
Thank you!!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
Take the temptation away and take control, dump it out. You are working very hard and I follow your progress, put your AV in it's place I encourage you as you are in control. Remember too you are still early in recovery and still fragile, stay focused and the rewards come as we grow stronger, that is my experience. Heart is with you as you get through this Andrew
You are very kind, that touched my heart. Not going to drink today!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you dumped it yet?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

He's seen me do that so many times before but you are right. I should. He doesn't drink on tuesday nights anyway so he shouldn't be mad.
Thank you!!
Sunflower I would like to think he will understand and I would also like to think he loves you and cares for your well being. If he gets upset, tell him next time put it in your trunk when you go to work as I am serious about staying sober and I do not need temptations this early in recovery left on the counter. He may not understand tonight but he will in the future as he see's you change for the better, everything will improve including your relationship.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Have you dumped it yet?
Damn right I did. You guys are my angels.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
Sunflower I would like to think he will understand and I would also like to think he loves you and cares for your well being. If he gets upset, tell him next time put it in your trunk when you go to work as I am serious about staying sober and I do not need temptations this early in recovery left on the counter. He may not understand tonight but he will in the future as he see's you change for the better, everything will improve including your relationship.
I told him this morning I was moving it to on top of the fridge so I didn't have to see it on the counter. He said nothing. He is so damn clueless and not the most caring man in the world.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you dumped it.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Songs to me have tremendous impact, the ones that tell a story, as I thought of where you might be, here is a song that I hope cheer's you up. There is a strong message in this song to those of us in recovery and to be honest it's been years since I herd it but it came to me as I thought of this thread. The rain he signs of to me is the fog and clutter we experience in early recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSuB4t3q_dA
Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sunflowerlife, know this. If you drink, you will feel like a failure. If you resist this urge, you will feel like a success. It is that simple. And, each time you beat back the urge to drink, you will get a little stronger, you will feel a little better, and your life will improve.

As you experience these urges, remember HALT. Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. If you are feeling any of these emotions, deal with them first. One or more of these conditions will make it harder to resist the urge to drink.

Thank you for posting. I hope you will let us know how you do today.....
Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I told him this morning I was moving it to on top of the fridge so I didn't have to see it on the counter. He said nothing. He is so damn clueless and not the most caring man in the world.
I have to say, I am trying to think of one thing he could have said in this situation that wouldn't have caused a resentment? LOL, just keep in mind he probably doesn't really know how to proceed in this whole thing. It's going to be a long learning process for both of you.

I find I have to spell things out very clearly.

The two things I kept saying to myself in early sobriety were, "I will not pick up a drink." and, "How can I act in a way that will support my serenity?"

Serenity was more my goal in early days. Avoiding conflict, minding my own business, keeping my mouth shut, etc.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are doing the right thing and try to keep the focus on you and your recovery. It's really hard for others to understand what we go through. One thing I know for sure is that by getting through this craving, things will be a bit easier next time.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you dumped it. Eat what you want without guilt for today. There's a time for everything. Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself early on. It will get easier as time passes. You will feel more in control. Great job for getting through the grocery store without alcohol. Can you get out of the house so you're not feeling isolated? Coffee shop? AA meeting? Library?

Well done on seven days. That's terrific. I'm glad you posted here instead of caving
Old 01-12-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Glad you dumped it. Eat what you want without guilt for today. There's a time for everything. Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself early on. It will get easier as time passes. You will feel more in control. Great job for getting through the grocery store without alcohol. Can you get out of the house so you're not feeling isolated? Coffee shop? AA meeting? Library? Well done on seven days. That's terrific. I'm glad you posted here instead of caving
Thank you. It was dumb of me to think I could start a restricted diet on the biggest drinking day of the week for me. Eating and not worrying about it.

My little guy needs a nap soon but we will go for a walk once he wakes up. Thank you so much
Old 01-12-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile

I always feel better when I dump it. No longer circling the stuff like a white pointer shark. Does my head in.