Notices

I really need help

Old 01-12-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really need help

Hello everyone I joined a couple months back and posted a couple times I ended up staying sober for almost two weeks but unfortunately I fell off and I'm now at a really bad point drinking a litre of rum every other day I need to get motivated and stop this self destruction but I'm not sure if I can
Old 01-12-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mista. Welcome back. What could you do to stay sober for today? It is very helpful to hatch a plan.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello,

I have been on and off this site as well with stretches of sobriety lasting a few weeks to a few months. The times I was able to stick with it I held myself accountable, and had a plan. I am just starting Day 12 and what has helped is using SR, Women for Sobriety, and checking in with a sober buddy who made the same commitment as me for 2016.
I have had thoughts of drinking wine on a few occasions and I thought about how I would feel the next morning. It has been nice to wake up clear headed and ready to focus on the day..
There are lots of great stiries in SR from people with several days to several weeks.

Join me in the January class. :-)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back!

Originally Posted by MistaT View Post
I need to get motivated and stop this self destruction but I'm not sure if I can
I'm sure that you can.

There are many paths to happy sober living. What's your plan?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's 13:21 and I've stayed sober but I'm struggling obviously being hungover my body is needing another drink I'm going to try and have a warm meal and sleep it off
Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's 13:21 and I've stayed sober but I'm struggling obviously being hungover my body is wanting another drink I'm going to try and have a warm meal and sleep it off
No body needs another drink.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Morning, I found education helped me and is helping me to stay sober (just one of many tools I am using), what I mean by that is a new way of thinking, learning what others are or have gone through, there is a wealth of information here and on the net, when I have a feeling I do not understand or want to learn more about, I can ask in meetings face to face or online chat, I can talk to my GF or I decided I wanted a sponsor not only to work steps I feel are important but someone face to face, one on one that has been there ( I also google almost daily). I also find great power over my AV helping others if I can.

I think of it as rewiring a house, the old wiring just doesn't pass my code so I will rewire it right and I know exactly how to do it, in short filling my thoughts and brain with the tools to address situations that come up in my life like a normal sober person would vs going on a binge which has always made things worse for me. I think/believe it's also very important to surround ourselves with people that are supportive.

Wish you well, the journey is worth it however it takes work and as I often say success can be measure on just how bad we want sobriety.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the comments guys I need to focus on getting better, I don't think I've lasted a month without a drink since I was 15.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Thank you for the comments guys I need to focus on getting better, I don't think I've lasted a month without a drink since I was 15.
Agreed, getting well needs to be your full-time job and first priority. 'uz if it's not, what then??

So just thinking about today and tonight, other than wanting to be sober, what can you do to ensure you are sober?

On my third attempt at sobriety after decades of use, I am only now realizing how important it is to have that action plan.

Post back and let us know how it's going.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Welcome!

As others have said, having a plan and support structure are priority #1 in my opinion. I use SR, therapy, medication, meditation, prayer, sobriety apps, motivational videos, music, and support from friends and family. I also have made sure to make my issue public. I have informed my job, family, and friends of my desire and intention to never pick up another drink. This hold me even more accountable. I wish you luck and just don't drink today.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Anyone can do it, it is just bloody hard. Definitely keep posting here, really get involved, a problem shared and all that. I am only on day 11 this time around and already I am trying to convince myself to go back to drinking, I just can't believe how hard I try to convince myself it will be okay to drink again, pure bullsh*t self justification only an addict possesses.
This may be awful advice but I can see the hard kick you're getting from the rum being the first thing to tackle. Is there any merit to weening yourself off it by replacing some of the drink with a lower percentage beer? That is an open question to the more experienced here. I am not advising that is what you do but instinctively it is probably how I would go about things.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back Mista!!