Notices

Snow day

Old 01-11-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Snow day

The area I live in is supposed to get between 1-3" of a snow/icy mix between tonight and tomorrow during morning commute. Usually I would hear this forecast and decide no matter what happened, I was calling into work. While most would load up on the proverbial milk, bread, and eggs, I was making sure I had enough vodka to last me a few days. Last year, I spent one of those days laying on the bathroom floor because it was not only cold (I was sweating out a 4-day binge), but it was close to the toilet. I called in the next day, day 2 of the hangover, when the roads were passable and everyone else made it in.

But today was different. Whenever I heard the forecast my first thought was to get a crockpot recipe from Pinterest so I could pick up the ingredients on the way home and have a nice, warm dinner to cook tonight. I decided I was going to get up early, clean my car off, and make it to work come hell or high water. Instead of drinking tonight I'm going to take a hot bath, start a new book, and end the night with a good movie. I haven't been this excited for a snow day since I was a kid!!!

How do you spend your snow days?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well my dog loves the snow so we head out, if it's a big storm...big to us is 12" to 20", I strap on the snowshoes, my dog follows in my footprints.

If it's really bad and we can't go out, I plan the day before on something I would like to cook that will take time to prepare, watch a movie and read.

If my better half is here then it changes things a lot, we will sleep in which I never do, play board games, talk and cook, she loves that series Big Bang Theory so we will watch a a few episodes and a love story as I am a sucker for those
Old 01-11-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome Carrie!!

I really hate driving in snow/ice, had an accident many years ago, and since then always get slightly nervous, but like you make a great effort to get to work no matter what, but sometimes that's not always possible.

A few weeks back, it was a Saturday, and with a few feet of snow and no road services ploughing the roads, my car couldn't make it up the hill I need to get up to get to my nearest town, the snow was too deep, so I turned back.

The day turned into a sofa day, movies, pot of green tea . . . when I can't physically make it to work due to snow it always feels like I used to feel as a kid with a day off school, with no guilt whatsoever!!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to dread snow days cause it meant the kids would be home... Now if I'm snowed in, I watch movies or read.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember some years ago, being snowed in with no wine It's nice not to worry about that anymore.

Snow and cold here today, cooked a nice pot roast and watched a movie, before the fire
Old 01-11-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Geez, I live in a part of Australia that's pretty much always dry and hot..

I have never seen or touched snow!!
I've always wondered what it's like lol.

Enjoy your snow day
Old 01-11-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I remember one time during a winter that I walked down to the drive thru just to get my wine. So glad I don't do that anymore.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I remember one time during a winter that I walked down to the drive thru just to get my wine.
There was a liquor store practically in the backyard of my last apartment. I've trekked through lots of snow for booze!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sean30 View Post
I have never seen or touched snow!!
I've always wondered what it's like lol.
The stressful feeling of potentially not being able to make it to work . . .

. . . the struggle is real!!

Old 01-11-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sean30 View Post
Geez, I live in a part of Australia that's pretty much always dry and hot.. I have never seen or touched snow!! I've always wondered what it's like lol. Enjoy your snow day
Thank you! Imagine what you'd do with a snow day!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, I love your description! Snowy days are my favorite (when I'm sober, that is). When I'm drinking, I feel like a caged animal, restless and desperate. Just another reminder of why the sober life is so much better.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A group of us would pile into a 4x4 and bring our vodka, milk, kahlua, and solo cups, drink white russians, and plow our way through the back roads. Classy. And safe. NOT!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I grew up back East, but live in Southern California now, I miss snow days!!!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That sounds like the perfect snow day plan! It is really cold where I am too, I cranked the heat, cooked a nice dinner and picked a movie to watch. There were a couple times today when I thought about drinking - at the store and when I saw the empty wine bottles on my counter - but I am very happy to be enjoying a relaxing, sober night in. Glad to hear you are too!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Back in Chicago I lived a few blocks from a liquor store. No matter how much snow, ice, or rain came down I knew that alcohol was within reach and I would indulge heavily.

Today those days are gone! We don't have snow down here, but we do have days of quite heavy rain that almost feel the same. On those days, I am happy to listen to the rain on the roof, make some hot soup, and watch a movie on my laptop and take some peaceful and restful naps. It's a great way to take a break from the normal hustling routine and reset my inner compass. Guilt free!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I was in college we once had a huge blizzard. On Wednesday night the school cancelled classes until the following Monday.

I lived in a coed dorm, it was time to party. Some friends and I walked through the storm (with about a 1000 other college students) to a giant liquor store and got our supply for the weekend, stuffed all of the bottles in out back packs and walked back to the dorm.

The next day we did the same thing because we had under estimated how much we, and the girls on the floor below us, would consume. The shelves at the store were practically empty.

I think we got about 30 inches of snow with giant drifts. And I think the alcohol consumption in my town probably tripled that weekend.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go on the snow day!

The nice thing is that it becomes the norm.

Yesterday, I made split-pea soup in the crockpot. Admittedly, it was the first time I used my crockpot! But I have stocked up on reading material and doing other healthy preparations for nasty weather and find that it's one more way of honoring my sobriety and wellness.

You're doing great, Carrie Bradshaw!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used to love snow days. I would tell the boss i couldnt make it in ,whether i really could or not, and then chase vodka down with beer all day. I can build a pretty mean snowman even while $&!#faced. Good times..we had a lot of snowdays last year.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Where I grew up we had snow but no snow days.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hmm i don't that's your real name......