Notices

I'm sober.... and I'm BUMMED OUT.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm sober.... and I'm BUMMED OUT.

But I wanna say, that's OK!!

Turns out, every day sober isn't a great big party.

We don't always feel good.

Emotions happen, they come and they go in various forms and shapes - ever-changin' like clouds or the flow of a river.

Today, I feel frustrated about work. I feel glum about a trip I have to take. I feel behind on deadlines. I feel a lot of my life is poured into a profession I don't care about. I'm tired. I just want to go back to bed.

And all of that is OK.

It won't always feel this way. Yesterday felt really good. Maybe tomorrow will, too.

I'm grateful I'm sober, because today's the kind of day I might otherwise drink myself to oblivion. Instead, I'll take my puppy to her veterinary appointment. I'll pack for my trip. I'll go to the gym and put in what I can for exercise. I'll remember the goodness in my life.

And even though I may not feel very upbeat today, I will be glad to be alive.

Days like this when I was drinking - well, I can't even remember them for the most part. Because I wasn't alive. I was deadening it all.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

terrific post!

life on life's terms is so worth it

hope tomorrow is better FO
Old 01-11-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agree and thank you for your post, although today only marks 30 days, other than the first week I can count on one hand how many days I felt down, I simply go for a walk or I love to cook which my GF appreciates as she works long hours.

But I feel so blessed every morning I awake with a clear head and greet the day and what it has to offer, it's a great feeling being able to enjoy life vs burrying problems or emotions with alcohol.

Have a great day
Andrew
Old 01-11-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Another great post, FreeOwl.

Sobriety doesn't make every day rosy but it brings goodness, self-respect and perspective to my life every single day. I'll take that any day.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yep, good or bad - this too shall pass!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same here. Thanks SO.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
under new management

Great post, FreeOwl!

I always thought I was a special twinkle that couldn't bear to have a bad feeling so, of course, I had to drink them away.

Turns out that I am not such a special twinkle after all and these bad feelings are just part of life. I can and I do bear them. Because I am sober.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post! Feeling a bit off too today but your post says it all!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Freeowl. I need to hear this today. Having an awful, irritable day and you are right, it's okay. Plus, drinking would not make this feel better in the long run.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a rotten day!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. I have had a rough couple of days and I am still sober and grateful. Its nice to hear someone else who feels the same. John
Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My worst day sober is always better than my best day drunk.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic post FreeOwl!!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Life is not all rainbows and unicorns but when you look at the big picture life is pretty darn good and so much better than it was
Old 01-11-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hang in there, Sunny. :-)
Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great post especially for the newcomers. I remember my big first attempt at sobriety. Was six months in and I was like,"that's it?" I expected too much when I didn't put my dues in.

Must be something in the air today though cause I've taken some shots that have damaged my ego for the day. I'll live and won't drink over it today though.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Very inspiring post..!!!!

This too shall pass..!!!!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry today has been a stinker hope tomorrow is a better day FO
Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post FreeOwl. I, much like Sunflowerlife and JohnQPublic , have had a rough go these last few days. I feel like there a perfectly drawn circle with nothing inside, and outside is a mess of pencil scribbles and lines. I'm either one foot in and one foot out, or both in....or both out. It's either depression or nothingness, or somewhere in between. Trying to concentrate and work is brutal right now. I hope this shall pass.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Thank you for the good post.

I have often stated something very similar in meetings. I have always loved roses and a few years ago bought a home with a rose garden in the backyard. I had never realized how much work went into raising roses until that time. What I learned from that experience is that sobriety and my rose garden are very much alike.

In my garden, I have to put the work in sometimes getting dirty. I have to fertilize the ground to keep the roses healthy. Sometimes I have to pull weeds or deal with pests. Sometimes I even get cut by a thorn but if I put the work in there are times when I will be blessed with the most beautiful flowers. Notice I did not say perfect because for something to be beautiful it does not have to be perfect.

My sobriety is very much the same thing. I have to put the work in. That means for me since I work the program of AA, applying the Steps of AA each day in my life. Sometimes I run across things that irritate me or get in the way and rather than ignore them I have to deal with those obstacles in a constructive way. Sometimes there are times when things happen and I get hurt and rather than react with a temper tantrum like a 2 year or the anger of an obstinate teenager. I instead have to work through the anger and treat the hurt. Then there are times when I am blessed with good things that happen in my life. Life does not have to be perfect to be beautiful. I just have to accept life for what life is, full of challenges, joy, sometimes heartbreak, and hope.