NY Post article: Addiction is not a Disease

Old 01-10-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NY Post article: Addiction is not a Disease

Sorry you'll have to copy and paste in your browser, couldn't get the link working

http://nypost.com/2015/07/12/addiction-is-not-a-disease-and-were-treating-drug-and-alcohol-addicts-wrong/
Old 01-10-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish you could have found the link because I have no idea how to copy and post
Old 01-10-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Click HERE to read the article.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

The article is the same old debate that has been going on for decades and the same debate that will probably continue for at least our lifetimes. Personally, I've read thousands of articles with convincing "evidence" that supports both the disease model of addiction and the behavioral model of addiction.

To me what it comes down to is: once it was included in the DSM, insurance companies were compelled to pay for treatment and rehab centers popped up 5000x fold to the amount prior. Addiction is a huge $$$$ business.

And, no matter how much research and money is thrown at it, our people are dying from addiction at a higher rate now than any other time in history. And, IMO that. is. unacceptable.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ive found it helpful to read the Drugs, Brains, Addiction information issued by National Inatitute Drug Abuse. It explains why it was classed as a disease (because of how it works in the brain once it starts) but it also touches on a lot of facts from this article by showing treatment is medical and behavioral and should use cognitive behavioral therapies. It also addresses the fact it can often be overcome and they even use the word cured. While others can be treated and learn to keep it in check while leading normal lives. Methods like Smart Recovery where Im studying view it as a behavioral problem, something you want to change about yourself. I find a lot of good articles shared there. But its going to be an ongoing debate I think. All we can do ia each study up and follow what we think is the right approach.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

HERE is a very convincing article and blog by a doctor who says addiction is a Psychological Process.

And, even if somehow every illegal, legal, or illicit drug or substance was eradicated, along with alcohol- many OTC medications, household cleaners, or industrial solvents would fill the demand of getting loaded...not to mention the hundreds of obsessive or compulsive behaviors that too would fill the need.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
This will be my lone contribution to this topic.

I tend to look at addiction from a systems engineering perspective. Addiction is a black box. It's got two inputs (the personality of the person in question and drugs), and one output (the behavior of that person under the influence of drugs). I don't know what's in the black box. I don't know how many logic devices it has, or have many passive components it has, etc. I don't know if it's linear or nonlinear. Nor do I care. The reason why I don't care is because from my perspective, the operation and functionality of the black box is not a function of me and what I do or don't do. The only thing that I care about is the output of the box. And based on that output, I make decisions that are best for me, and me alone.

Maybe one of these days, there will be a definitive explanation has to why addicts do what they do. Maybe there will be one universal treatment for addiction that takes into account all the variables that factor into it. And if that happens during my lifetime, I'd be very happy. I just happen to think the probability of that happening is quite low. So I live in the here and now, and in the here and now, I've accepted someone else's addiction is outside of my control.

Reasonable people can disagree about how to deal with a loved one's addiction. Our goal here at FFSA is to help its members answer that question for themselves. If a member finds a model that makes sense to them, or finds a particular program outside of FFSA to be helpful, I think that's great and we should support that member's choices.

NB: cynical brings up an excellent point. It's worth remembering Kitty Dukakis is infamous for having imbibed rubbing alcohol when she was in active alcoholism. When someone's that desperate, what can one realistically do to stop them?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think this is a pertinant article for family, Ive seen people online trying to discrecit the author because of an unrelated case of plagarism years prior, but I think its only an attempt to demean the content by people who disagree with his research. The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think | Johann Hari
Old 01-11-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
It's worth remembering Kitty Dukakis is infamous for having imbibed rubbing alcohol when she was in active alcoholism.
I used to work with a guy from West Virginia who fit the bill of the stereotypical hillbilly moonshiner. He swore that if you took a bottle of rubbing alcohol and poured it through a loaf of White Wonderbread- what came out the other end was drinkable. Nicest guy in the world, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
HERE is a very convincing article and blog by a doctor who says addiction is a Psychological Process.

And, even if somehow every illegal, legal, or illicit drug or substance was eradicated, along with alcohol- many OTC medications, household cleaners, or industrial solvents would fill the demand of getting loaded...not to mention the hundreds of obsessive or compulsive behaviors that too would fill the need.
Thanks for the article. I read this a while back, I remember the story of the rats, alone vs. with other rats. Very interesting. The mind is complex and mysterious. I don't know if we will ever know what really goes on in the addict brain. Since everyone is different, some use to self medicate their pain, some use due to biological factors like anxiety or depression. Others just flat out get hooked bc a doctor prescribed something to help with discomfort of an injury, surgery etc...
Addiction to me is a symptom of drug use. You have to be willing to do the work to get clean and be honest with yourself. If you're not honest there is no recovery. You can lie to yourself all day as many of us do.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by AnonWife View Post
I think this is a pertinant article for family, Ive seen people online trying to discrecit the author because of an unrelated case of plagarism years prior, but I think its only an attempt to demean the content by people who disagree with his research. The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think*|*Johann Hari
His research has been debunked not because of his past plagiarism, but because further studies to try and reproduce his original results (which is how one tests the validity of scientific theories) failed.

As anecdotal evidence to the contrary, most, if not all, of my recovered friends came from warm, loving environments; not loners, or anything like Hari's caged rats.

(o:
Old 01-12-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To me not all but a lot of "addictions" are the inability to change or the addict themselves not wanting to change. Anything I've ever heard, read or saw about the addict tells me first and foremost the addict has to want to change, they must want it: not a judge, spouse or parent trying to get rid of a problem or appease others.

Change is tough for most. There's a reason they have sayings like "Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning" because who ever came up with that realized people are creatures of HABIT and if you interrupt the most basic of routines many will be thrown into a tizzy.

Sometimes I think the word "disease" is applied, wrongly so that all can be forgiven and all can move on. If it's a "disease" how do you punish someone for doing criminal or unethical things. It was "the disease" talking. The "disease" causes problems and creates issues but it also shows/reveals the true nature of many including how selfish or ignorant they can be along with things like working off of impluse and/or the lack of discipline.

By misusing a disease diagnosis it gives too many a get out of jail free card or excuse to rationalize their bad behavior and not live with the consequences they brought onto themselves.

Some really need the help/rehab to change and some might be affected by the chemicals they voluntarily put into their bodies but was it really a "disease". In some cases yes but in too many others I think no.