Notices

New life

Old 01-09-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New life

Hi all I am writing this post now when I would usually have a drink in my hand, I'm 37 years old and have been drinking since I was 15, the last 10 years of those were full of Blackouts, arguments, embarasement, denial, ect.. I don't want to be controlled by drink anymore, I am on my 6th day now and all I can think about is having a drink, and don't know how I will get passed this weekend.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The cravings get better--just keep hanging in there one day at a time.
Maybe get some light exercise, stay hydrated, and eat quality food.

I also suggest finding some things to do to occupy your time besides drinking.
Start a hobby, read a book, get some old movies to watch.

You will find you have a lot more time and money for other things in life
with quitting drinking.
How much have you saved just in the 6 days?
Why not make some weekend plans for an outing with some friends and
spend some of what you saved on booze having other kinds of fun?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I agree with the post above about finding a way to fill the time. I am only on day 9, but have been very active on SR, reading a lot, exercising, and also have the support of a sober buddy who is on day 9'with me. We keep checking in on each other. It is not easy, but there are so many great stories on this site which proves it can be done!
Hope to see you on SR!!
Old 01-09-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Come to weekender thread! It really helps people stay sober over the weekend!
Xoxo
Old 01-09-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the tips guys !!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of time on this site - I still do, nearly two years into my sobriety.

Why not join in on some of the ongoing threads in Newcomers? There is a thread for people who quit in January, why not start there?

Welcome to the site, you can do this.

Here is the link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-thread.html

Another good thread is the "Year and under" thread. It has people a little further along in sobriety - that was helpful to me in early days, seeing where others were emotionally and physically.

Here's the link: (it's in Newcomers Daily Support threads)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-50-a.html
Old 01-09-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome ToBeSoberCelt
Old 01-09-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not qualified to welcome you, as I only joined yesterday. But welcome anyway. I'm only on Day 10, but I'm having a blast. Aged 53 and I relate to what you've said. Keep reading what people on here are saying. I reckon in this country we've got some serious thinking to do about how we live or waste our lives and chances in relation to alcohol. I was led to this site by a brilliant post by an Irish bloke called Ronan. I don't know how to do a link, but it's called 'A funny, but al too true blog, about being sober in Ireland'.
A lot of food for thought there. (The misprint is in the title too so I've typed it verbatim).
Old 01-09-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, there are many resources here you can add to your stay sober tool box along with many that have been there no matter what you are going through and always willing to help.

All the best, you are doing great
Andrew
Old 01-10-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tobesobercelt!!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I got through the weekend it's 8:30pm on Sunday and fee great. Got a lot of work done around the house today that I haven't been able to do for ages as I would be usually topping up from the night before. I woke up this morning after a dream that I sliped up and was so releaved when I knew it was a dream, I have had a lot of dreams about drink this week that's when I can actually get to sleep. I know if I don't keep myself occupied all I can think about is drink...but I am looking forward to wakeing up on a Monday morning without a hangover it's been a long long time.. thanks again for all the tips and advice.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome tobesobercelt and congrats on getting through the weekend ☺
Old 01-10-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's awesome sobercelt!

Stay strong, things get heaps better
Old 01-10-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sancho you are so right about this country, nearly everyone I know my age drinks way too much the only thing is I drink more than most of them, The problem is i don't know how i will manage with meeting up with my friends the only place we would meet up is in the pub, and I know all of them know I have a problem but how do I tell them I have gone sober I know there will be a few laughs and talking behind my back..Any occasion In Ireland is around drink Weddings,Funerals,Christenings ect and then there dosent even need to be an occasion,, there is no way round it....and how will I get round it..
Old 01-10-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by tobesobercelt View Post
Sancho you are so right about this country, nearly everyone I know my age drinks way too much the only thing is I drink more than most of them, The problem is i don't know how i will manage with meeting up with my friends the only place we would meet up is in the pub, and I know all of them know I have a problem but how do I tell them I have gone sober I know there will be a few laughs and talking behind my back..Any occasion In Ireland is around drink Weddings,Funerals,Christenings ect and then there dosent even need to be an occasion,, there is no way round it....and how will I get round it..
If they're not supportive, are they really your friends?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Sean30, Its good to get the support of people, I have not told anyone I've gone sober yet, not even my wife, we havent even talked in the past week all my fault of course but I'm sure she knows something is up when I have not had a drink in the past week and all weekend, I'm not doing this for her or why we are not talking, I'm doing this for me because I have finally woke up and realised that I can;t do this anymore. I know I have a long long way to go my father is a recovering alchoholic and has been sober for the past 10 years a few slip ups along the way.. So he is my inspiration
Old 01-10-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thats true..
Old 01-10-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober weekend,

I had to change everything, including my friends unfortunately. I still speak to my old drinking buddies but hanging around with them is impossible.

I took up a new hobby and completely changed my views on everything, in the process I made new friends. The new friends do drink booze but it's far from the main thing in their lives. I've finally got mates who I can meet somewhere for a coffee instead of meeting up at the pub and getting slaughtered then going home and continuing it until I reached oblivion.

I'm 36 years old now so a similar age as yourself. It really is time to stop.

Good luck,

Bruno.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Bruno you are so right, a whole change of lifestyle is required..