Notices

When alcohol is at the centre of everything

Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When alcohol is at the centre of everything

I was reading pressmetillihurt thread, she mentioned how alcohol had become the centre of everything, I looked back on the last year or so and realised just how much my life revolved around drinking and how I would even crest opportunities to drink if they weren't there.

Examples ....

Halloween ..... take kids trick or treating ..... copious amounts of wine with friend after till very drunk.

Guy fawkes ... try and invite self to friends bonfire so can walk there and still drink. Also attend occasion at local pub .... excuse to drink.

Xmas panto ..... get tickers for one at local pub .... Can drink.

Xmas day .... pay to have non drinking friend insured on my car so I can ..... drink whilst visiting them.

New year .... no plans .... ask a friend over to celebrate with us .... cos I know the Mr will drink if we have friends over bur wouldn't bother if just us two which will mean I will look silly drinking large amounts.

Summer time .... bbqs galore, invite drinking friends round. Invite same friends for dinner in winter. I don't even like them that much but hey I know they'll be drinking cos they're alcoholics so gives me the perfect excuse ..... and so it goes on....
Drinking becomes embedded in everything and if the opportunity isn't there I'll make sure I create one!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heck I used every excuse/reason I could think of to drink. That's what alcoholics do!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anything was good enough for me, I recall many times years ago and this went on for years, big snow storm, now that's a good reason to start a camp fire and party with the neighbors....this happened all the time.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

It's all in our alcoholic minds when we think everything revolves around booze.

Truth is everything did use to revolve around booze for us at one point, heck we are alcoholics.

The thing is it is not normal and I just spent the last year doing all of the holidays you mentioned sober and I notice most people are sober as well with just a few drinking to extreme.

We fool ourselves into thinking everyone is getting drunk all the time to rationalize our own problems.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yes any excuse .... and if you can drink with people that appear to drink heavier than you it's a bonus cos that just reassures you as well!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Other than when I was at work, I drank all day and all night, no matter what I was doing. Looking back, it wasn't any of the activities themselves that were "triggers" so to speak - I simply drank all the time because I was an alcoholic. It didn't matter in the least where I was or what I was doing otherwise.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Other than when I was at work, I drank all day and all night, no matter what I was doing. Looking back, it wasn't any of the activities themselves that were "triggers" so to speak - I simply drank all the time because I was an alcoholic. It didn't matter in the least where I was or what I was doing otherwise.
I know people that drink the same as you did, for me I don't like to make it so obvious. My mr is a "normal" drinker and for me to drink constantly would stand out a mile to everyone so I always had to create the right situation so my drinking was acceptable.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by adelina123 View Post
I know people that drink the same as you did, for me I don't like to make it so obvious. My mr is a "normal" drinker and for me to drink constantly would stand out a mile to everyone so I always had to create the right situation so my drinking was acceptable.
You'd be surprised how much you can get away with. I wasn't always an "all the time" drinker, but i gradually became that way. I also did most of my drinking in secret - stopping for a few at my regular watering hole on the way home from work, and then I'd hide my beer in the garage or basement and sneak out the empties. I'd pretty much always have beer in the trunk of my car too so wherever we went i'd have at least a couple to tide me over if we were going to be gone for more than an hour or so.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You'd be surprised how much you can get away with. I wasn't always an "all the time" drinker, but i gradually became that way. I also did most of my drinking in secret - stopping for a few at my regular watering hole on the way home from work, and then I'd hide my beer in the garage or basement and sneak out the empties. I'd pretty much always have beer in the trunk of my car too so wherever we went i'd have at least a couple to tide me over if we were going to be gone for more than an hour or so.
I haven't done that ... yet!! You describe my mums behaviour perfectly.... They say it's hereditary. My mum hides bottles everywhere, drinks in secret. I've spent many times playing cat and mouse games with her, trying to make her admitted to a problem. All the while my drinking gradually worsened. I guess I avoided the "hiding" behaviour because that would make me like my mum wouldn't it??