Notices

looking for an online sponsor

Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for an online sponsor

im hope, im an alcoholic. i hit bottom pretty bad this year and im sober now because i have no access to alcohol currently. im afraid when i do get access im gonna get pretty bad again. i can elaborate if you message me, anyone, please let me know. please.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, hopea12!

I hope SoberRecovery can help your plan to stay sober. I would be careful about giving out personal information to strangers--but I think you could find a lot of what you seek in a sponsor by reading and posting here.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hope

There's a whole forum of very inspiring folks here - not all of us are in AA, but I'm sure you'll hear from those who are.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 01-08-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Hope
Old 01-08-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hope,

I'm in AA and it has worked well for me. Any chance you could go to a local meeting? A local sponsor live and in person would be the number one choice. Also having a local network of people who understand what it is like to be an alkie is invaluable.

Best wishes.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Hope, I am in no way trying to discourage you, quite the opposite but I do not think this would be a good idea.

Try AA/NA meetings, if you see someone (of the same sex) that you think is a fit here is what I did and suggest.

Ask them how long sober
Ask them if they sponsor other Alcoholics
Ask if you could speak to these other people as you are looking for a sponsor
Ask these people being sponsored how it is going and that you are considering xxx as your sponsor

I am a firm believer we need positive feedback from at least three people this person has helped.

I say this from experience, I have had two relapse and I followed them, what the hell if they can relapse I may as well also right???? Stupid, stupid AV

I saved myself a lot of time, some have whatever many of years sobriety, but that
does not make them a good sponsor, I have selected people and the feedback terrible and they wanted out but didn't want to hurt his feelings, sorry the last thing I need is a bad relationship and having to worry about being honest with my sponsor and hurting his feelings. Could be me also as I call a spade a spade.

On the internet we have no idea who we are talking to, online groups are great but for me I have to meet the person and do my interviews.

I wish you well and we are here for you

Andrew
Old 01-08-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice here. The best sponsors are the ones you see face to face. It's personal and a bit like a professional relationship. One should not seek medical advice on the internet from strangers. Same thing with attorneys. The steps work better if one can be assured of confidentiality. Good luck.

W.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi hope! There is a 12 step forum here where people help each other through the steps, like a sponsor would do. Or, just start posting anywhere. People will jump in to help.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope, I would strongly encourage you to get to know someone online before you begin to share very personal aspects of your life. Once you get to know someone here and to gradually develop trust, then perhaps it would work as an online sponsor situation. I'm not in AA so I have no more specific advice.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hopea!!